Colnago Cup Sunday 17 Feb Eastern Ck Enter on the day OK

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Feb 2013, 04:04

Although I'll be very, very short on fitness I may well enter this. Anybody else?

On Sunday 17 February the Waratahs are hosting the 'Colnago Erik Mather Cup' at Eastern Creek Raceway. The event is generously sponsored by Bike Bug and Colnago and is in memory of Erik Mather.

This is a premier event with over $4,000 in cash only prizes, plus a set of carbon wheels to be raffled. Racing will comprise scratch races across 5 grades. Cash prizes will be paid down to 5th or 7th place, depending on the grade. First prize by grade will be as follows:

A - $750; B- $300; C - $200; D - $200; E - $100. These are based on anticipated grade numbers.

In addition there will be a set of carbon wheels to be raffled on the day. All riders are eligible to win.

Enter on the day is OK The entry cost is $25.

Best regards Ian Jackson President Waratah Masters CC

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 07 Feb 2013, 06:48

Any idea on duration of the ride?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 07 Feb 2013, 10:51

It will be the usual. meaning 7:00am start and about 40-45mins for D grade and then upwards for other grades. C about 45-50 and B about 55 - probably. Send an email to waratahs.

weller

Postby weller » 07 Feb 2013, 11:46

I'm in, but like you Stuart will not be near any decent form.

Phil G

Postby Phil G » 07 Feb 2013, 19:42

Yep, planning on entering.

First race last week, Waratah Masters' Enduro, good fun. Had hoped to race C grade but ended up being placed in B. No other DHCCer's on the day, so keen to ride with a few others and have some money go to DH.

PJCampbell

Postby PJCampbell » 08 Feb 2013, 13:48

Yes, I'm keen to enter this. It will be my first race, and I'm prepared to be thrown into a grade of their choice. I've heard if there's no-one that can vouch for you then you are placed into B grade. I know of a few others entering and I'm pretty excited to enter, just for the experience.

DavidOS

Postby DavidOS » 10 Feb 2013, 18:02

I'm in. Looking for a lift to the race. If u r driving and have a spare space, please send a PM.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 11 Feb 2013, 05:39

Stuart and I forgot to enter, entries closed. Looks like Waterfall again for Sunday.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 11 Feb 2013, 07:05

Yes, I "forgot" on purpose. After getting a good handle on my fitness on the C25's ride on Sun I determined that I would be dropped on lap 3, if not earlier. Have fun, hope somebody wins the wheels.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 11 Feb 2013, 07:42

There's always SUVelo @ Heffron Sunday....

paul

Postby paul » 15 Feb 2013, 08:46

I'm racing Sunday. Haven't seen any grades yet. DPR: have pmed re lift. Paul

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Feb 2013, 14:48

Looks like Trouty & I are now racing so see you all there at about 6:20am (car park fills up fast). Unless it's raining. You can definitely register on the day. Any other D graders going? We need a cunning plan for domination.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 17 Feb 2013, 12:43

A good contingent of DHBCers fronted for the race across all grades, A to E. I was alone in D grade and at 60mins + 1 lap the longest crit I've ever done. Managed to stay with the bunch till turn 7 on the last lap when I got well distanced on the short uphill section before turn 8. Got back in contact after the fast downhill right hand turn 9 but was totally spent and sat up as the bunch went around turn 12 and onto the straight with me still to enter the corner :-) Finished 2nd last out of 45 starters. Still, well pleased to hang on for that distance. Sadly, I didn't win the carbon wheels door prize ;-(

Here's Philip Gacitua on the podium as winner of B grade. Big win for Philip and a great prize too.

paul

Postby paul » 18 Feb 2013, 09:30

Well done Philip!
I rolled around in C grade without achieving very much. Pace was slow and a lot of confusion in the bunch about whether we were on the bell lap, still had 10 min, or had in fact finished a lap ago.
The carbon tubs I bought on the DHBC forum felt lovely on the smooth tarmac.
Well done also to David in his first race, stayed with C grade and even had a go off the front.
Paul

Phil G

Postby Phil G » 19 Feb 2013, 21:53

Thanks Stuart and Paul.

Start by saying it was a very sobering week, hearing about the seriousness of Greg's accident, really put things into perspective for me.

Onto a few words on the race - First time racing at EC, third race ever so it was great to see other DHCCers there and to line up in B Grade with Rob, Pete and John. There were no tactics discussed, just good to know there were a few friendly faces in the peloton. Pace was moderate at the start, avg 39km/hr, few attacks early which were well covered, two riders managed to get away about twenty mins into the race. Meanwhile....back in the bunch attacks started again, none successful, the two at the front seemed like they were getting further and further away. At one point they had reached the end of the straight whilst the peloton was making the last turn. I got a little frustrated at the lack of chasing been done, so had to liven up the bunch by doing some work at the front...it took it's toll and the brake away were in sight but still well ahead. It did allow me to judge the max speed at a few key corners. Then eased back in the peloton and the attacks at the front kept coming to no avail.

At this point I have to apologise to John, he tried to make several well planned attacks, the first of which he jumped out of the middle of the bunch established a lead, I thought great! I'll catch up and we'll work together for a win, only to realise that I had dragged every one along behind me..sorry John. (rookie mistake, lesson learnt). The pace ebbed and flowed seemingly people getting to front in a hurry and then slowing down.

The bell rang for the prime the paced quickened a little however the two in front had established an unassailable lead, the prime was theirs and I thought at the time so was the final victory. Surprisingly 3/4 of lap later both of them stopped racing and folded back in the bunch, for me it seemed a waste of energy in having done the work at front earlier. At this point there were about 20 mins left of racing. I tried a few things out like running on the inside of the straight, with the headwind I lost a few paces till Pete came by and let me tuck in behind. To stand a chance, I knew that I had to get to the right hand side of the bunch (racing around clockwise , so lots of lefts), or else risked being boxed in for the last few turns. So stayed on the right and towards the front. Bell went and last lap was on, the peloton tightened up, pace quickened again, just after the first corner an unwelcomed noise of a crash in the middle of the peloton. Found out later a few riders down, several riders taking up cycle-cross to avoid the crash, Rob in fact ended up going down, coming out with nasty gash to his finger and a buckled front wheel.

Last lap, towards front on the right, legs felt like empty stumps (nerves), last few corners pace increasing managed to tuck into fifth wheel as a gap opened, final corner, third wheel. Thought now or never, hit the gas, down the the straight, no one on the peripheral, thought I went too early, look down there was a the rider behind, knew I had to keep pushing...legs burning. Saw a wheel appear to my right, 20 meters to go, thought damm he's got me, put head down with a last lunge forward at the line and in my mind I settled for place. Garmin clocked it at 61km/hr, with 178bpm. Fantastic to then find out I won. Truly stoked!

Return to “Road”