2011 - Tempetation- Fixie Century Coastal - 16/10/2011

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Oct 2011, 09:05

Sorry but I disagree that the problem was chain tension, the primary problem was a worn chain on a new sprocket.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 18 Oct 2011, 09:14

Sorry but I disagree that the problem was chain tension, the primary problem was a worn chain on a new sprocket.
It could have been, I was just told that the chain looked loose by a number of different people but irregardless both problems equate to maintenance issues.

The real issue is trying to prevent anyone ever having an incident on Mac Pass again.

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Oct 2011, 09:26

didnt it snap?

AlexD

Postby AlexD » 18 Oct 2011, 12:53

Mike's chain didn't snap, it just came off the sprocket and jammed against the spokes.

I'd say, generally, that a chain can't come off unless it's too loose. Being worn out is one cause of a chain becoming loose - another cause is having the axle slip in the dropouts during a ride, due to the axle thread being partly stripped. This was also part of the trouble, from what I saw.

It could have been a lot worse, but in the end I think maintaining a safe working bike is the responsibility of each rider. Simon can't be expected to check the quality of the axle threads on every person's bike before leaving. Same for brake pads etc.

I really enjoyed the Mac Pass descent, at least the part before I reached the crash. I think descending with a fixed gear is a kind of acquired taste - it can feel a bit frustrating if you're used to coasting, but once you adjust I think it's a skill of its own.

I liked the course. Macquarie Pass is safer than some others in that it's not a high-speed descent. I missed the Dinnerville section, but next time would be happy to take that instead of the extra bit of freeway that we took. As I said, coming back through the RNP to Waterfall would add a bit more variety (would be especially nice on a hot afternoon) but with daylight as a limiting factor anything over 180km starts to limit the time for relaxing along the way.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Oct 2011, 14:07

I am finding some of the comments a little offensive, though not intentional.

I do more K's on fixies than anyone else in this club. I make sure that the reliability of the bike is paramount, as punctuality at me second job is paramount. Prior to this ride I went over the bike and decided what to replace and what not to replace, in hindsight I made the wrong decision with the chain. Parts replaced are with quality components, for example, I have durace front brake pads, a new stainless steel front brake cable. I run ceedar (spelling?) chains. I also run race tyres (currently pro2race), having been displeased with the wet weather adhesion of non race tyres, tyre liners and tube pieces over the tyre liner joins. I've also purchased a device to pump puncture fluid into tubes without the need to remove valves. Happy to lend it to anyone wanting to slime their tubes. The steerer set has been replaced twice, finally resolving the quality issues that came out of the factory.

When removing the stuck chain, I noted that the wheel had pulled a little, but not enough to make the tyre rub. At the time I assumed that it was a result of the incident, but based on the comments on chain tension, I'm wondering if the wheel had pulled on Saturday and I hadn't noticed.

Now a chain can come off even if the tension is perfect, all it takes is for a plate to touch the tip of a cog, which could occur for a host of different reasons such as a bent plate, too much lateral play in the chain, catching a small object such as a small stone or stick. If the chain line is out, that too can contribute.

I really don't see the need to have this discussion, I recall a rear derailleur going thru a wheel a while back, but I don't seem to see the need to have the rider or owner splattered all over the forum about it. I'm happy to leave it at this

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 18 Oct 2011, 14:32

HATS!
i recon if you ordered a fixie century hat and didn't start the ride you shal feel shame every time you wear it.
but you can pick them up on wednesday @ the track.
I'll also be @ slowies on saturday, so if you tell me before then i'll bring you'r hat with me.
i will also do deliveries(if you live between the city/marrickvelle/wolli creek)

if none of these suit PM me and i'll figure out how to get you your hat!

p.s the spelling error was my fault. but i like it!

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Oct 2011, 14:40

I wrote my previous fixie back wheel off in similar fashion mike, I didn't mean to pay out your chain tightening or bike maintenance mike, I just heard it snapped, and mark gave you a new link. I heard that four people told you your chain was looking heaps loose, one of them then stopped riding behind you as well!
But yeah I wish I had thought more about how my chain seemed a bit loose when I did it, I was just lucky to result in a thirty meter skid instead, which looked totally cool placing the bike sideways at 60 or so km an hour instead of coming off!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Oct 2011, 14:41

Yeah I love my costal hat :)

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 18 Oct 2011, 14:53

I love my Costal hat too. And I was also pleasantly surprised that my head was not too hot at any stage of the ride...

Thanks again Lizanne for organising. They were a wonderful addition to our outfits.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Oct 2011, 15:31

Tim, 30 mtrs that's supa cool. As I kid we use to practice skid stops while we were waiting for our newspapers to deliver, you would of been 'the man' with a 30 mtr job.

Lizanne, the hat's great !!!!!!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Oct 2011, 20:00

yeah.. well road wheels arent really made for it, the tire didnt survive etc..

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 18 Oct 2011, 20:18

Thanks for ther reports & photos everyone! They've given me a lot of laughs and recalled some great/interesting moments. I've been wanting to add my own impressions of the day but have either been too busy eating or out since then and still can't get onto the DHBC website at work (shakes fist at USyd IT Security). A few quick words before I hit the couch, prelude to bed: the hats are AWSOME, thanks Lizanne! A big cheers to Simon for organizing and keeping us keeping on keeping, and to Brownie for leading us on the Prologue. A beautiful 70km and an excellent warm up for what was to follow! Not to mention a lot of fun. Thanks also to Toff & Nathan, for buddying me through a few tough spots. And to everyone else for every little thing. I still can't believe I made the full distance. I just sort of forgot to stop. I was still cycling in my sleep that night and would wake up with a jolt if I stopped turning the pedals over!

As far as the route goes, I love that bit via the back roads to Robertson and think it would be a shame to substitute it for the highway. I also really enjoyed the Ken Dinnerville addition. So I'm not sure where I'd like to see you cut kms. I know the thing that would help me most: to get rid of all the traffic lights going through Dapto! They've caught me both years now, trailing slightly behind, neccessitating a TT to catch the bunch rolling merrily through green lights ahead and into the yonder. Thankfully I had Simon to help last year, and Toff this year.

A great day out. And the weather! Does anyone not have a hilarious bogan tan?

Get well soon Jo. Hope you got straight onto the antibiotics. Kidney infections are no fun at all, but excellently responsive to drugs.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 18 Oct 2011, 20:20

And good luck to Mike, Mark & Alex in the Grafton. I can't believe you were the only 3 to sustain injuries! Hope you all pull up ok for the weekend.

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 18 Oct 2011, 22:58

still can't get onto the DHBC website at work (shakes fist at USyd IT Security).
I agree, don't those IT guys know i need to check the forum during my lectures.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 19 Oct 2011, 07:27

I really don't see the need to have this discussion, I recall a rear derailleur going thru a wheel a while back, but I don't seem to see the need to have the rider or owner splattered all over the forum about it. I'm happy to leave it at this
Sorry Mike, I didn't want to have a discussion about your accident, just about increasing safety on the ride in General. The rear wheel moving over time and chain coming off has happened to me, it has happened to super mechanic Lindsay & most recently to Tim.

I just fear that with the fixie century there are always new riders and people who have never ridden fixies before, sometimes people that we don't really know all that well coming along and it would be good to make it an active part of the ride that everyone takes some responsibility for others if they see something wrong with their bikes. Things like position of brake pads, gear choice, chain tension, chain lubrication can all be very simply to fix but are not always thought about.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 19 Oct 2011, 07:43

A few quick words before I hit the couch, prelude to bed: the hats are AWSOME
...A great day out. And the weather! Does anyone not have a hilarious bogan tan?
Thanks Camilla :roll:
and yes i have a very bogan tan that i will be getting rid of @ the beach over the weekend
Anyone want to do some eastern suburbs hills after slowies on saturday? fixed! to get all trained up for next year.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 19 Oct 2011, 23:01

You know what Lizanne, I suspect i do! I also really want to have yum-cha at the fishmarkets.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 20 Oct 2011, 11:03

i was just thinking a few beach hills followed by the beach
i was planning on heading down to partol after slowies, so ride down to bronte check the surf, hit tama, bondi, up to the gap, then back to the beach. easy hills ride 8)
yum- cha sounds good... but i have no cash for the next week. so maybe next? (with another fixie ride?)

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 21 Oct 2011, 09:34

...next week is the go. i need to do some over time @ work :(

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 21 Oct 2011, 20:27

Fine with me. I was going to bail anyway. I should have taken Toff up on his kind "minty fresh" stick offer - welts in unspeakable places yet to fully heal :shock:

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 21 Oct 2011, 20:28

Meanwhile, when do you get time to do real work!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 21 Oct 2011, 21:54

i do real work all the time. i just don't do much of it

Return to “Road”