Geelong Road Worlds - Race report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Richard

Postby Richard » 05 Oct 2010, 08:37

The atmosphere around the course was fantastic. Womens race was equally as exciting as the mens.

Dont underestimate how hard that first climb was, the top section was app. 22%

Will post some photos and more info tonight.

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 07 Oct 2010, 15:57

The whole championships were great. It was slow to start but the racing was great each day. The mens race was one of the best races I have seen. I was in the park along the Barwon River with a sunny day and a clear view of the big screen which was showing the Phil and Paul show and only about 10 meters from the track. It was along there that the teams really up the pace to try and split the field up the hills. In the last couple of laps you could seen that the guys at the front were really hurting. It was strange at one stage to seek Cancerella in no mans land chasing the lead group on his own. In the time trial he was all power. When the big bunch that had been detached from the lead group came through in the last two laps they had dropped the pace and were chatting. They knew they had no hope. The 700 meter drag to the finish line was a very though finish for any rider and to see those guys sprint for it was really impressive. While it did end in a small bunch sprint it was a sprint only for those who could sprint and climb that made it to the sprint. What I can't understand is that this sort of finish would have suited Gilbert, not that he would have beaten Hushovd in a straight sprint but he could have won and it seems that the Italians came in the end with the wrong team.

In the last lap after the riders had gone by us every one went to watch the big screen and every time Evans attacked everyone applauded. When Hushovd won there was not disappointment just more applause.

I will post my photos later.

This experience of international bike racing makes me think that the TDU would be great to attend.

Return to “Road”