Wagga Wagga McDonalds Classic Race Report

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 14 Jun 2010, 21:03

I headed down this weekend to participate in the abovementioned weekend of racing. I was graded in the 84km event (there was also 115km event for the quick guys).

I was off limit +4mins (16mins). The bunch was full of locals with some ACT riders, female AIS riders and a handful of others including myself and Mark Hales. The pace was extremely fast, for the first 40 odd kms it was uphill (although it's mostly rolling hills, no climbs). The pack was well disciplined and rolled very smooth. By the 20km mark we swallowed limit and spat them out (holding onto 2 of the 8 riders). We continued out in front of the race and got to the "downhill" part after 40kms and ramped up the pace further. The pack was down to 14 riders. No sign of the other groups so we kept pressing. By the 70km mark a breakaway bunch behind were closing in to us but we held them at bay as sheer numbers cut through a headwind we encountered for 5kms much better than their small bunch of 5 riders. A slight climb with 10kms to go sorted out the pack as 2 guys attacked (both wagga riders). As it was all flat/downhill with a crosswind, the pack believed they were in for a chance, so they kept driving toward the line. I held on for as long as i could but crumbled with 7kms to go. I sat up and jumped on the breakaway bunch coming through a minute behind the lead pack until 3km to go when they went for the win. Myself and a turramurra rider were both spent and rolled in, getting swallowed by what seemed like the scratch group with 200m to go. Still, ended up with a top 30 finish (i think). The limit +4min group held on for the win.

Winning time was about 2:18mins

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 14 Jun 2010, 21:18

Criterium sunday morning. I was graded in F (no other DH riders on the day). 9am start, sign on at 8am. As i was warming up i noticed the grass was frozen. Large frost that morning! It took 45mins to eventually get warm, although the feet and hands were numb until 10mins into a hot shower... It was really cold!

The country boys may well be good at the open road, but they were noticeably slow taking sharp corners! I watched from the rear of the field for the first lap (25mins +3laps). It wasn't very smooth like out at heffron. Lots of breaking into the corners... I went from the back straight to the front and tested the skills of the others. A few jumped on and we picked up the pace. The pack of 15 held on, so i slowed and jumped in midpack for a few laps. The 2 primes weren't contested and i thought that was strange. No real attacks through the first 20mins, so i had a go and tried to break the bunch. A few strong riders latched on (including the favourite who seemed to be the AIS girl). With 3 laps to go, it was all a bit tame up the front - slowing down the back straight with a nice tailwind. I attacked from midfield and yelled at the two canberra riders to jump on. They didn't but a wagga rider got on my wheel. I inflicted some pain and we broke the field up. The next two laps the wagga guy sucked my wheel, at the bell lap we were still away from the peleton so i dug in and gave it everything. On the final straight the wagga guy took off and i had no chance, so i soft pedaled into the finish beating the peleton in by about 10secs.

On finishing, my result was 3rd as a wagga rider apparently jumped at the start and put half a lap on the field (burglar!!!). He also didn't compete in yesterdays event so he was nice and fresh. Anyway, stoked about the third place finish, with a nice looking envelope and a photo with ronald mcdonald at the end. oh, and f grade had to wait 5 1/2hrs for the presentation :(

Avg speed was just under 37km/hr for 20kms around the main streets of wagga (all flat).

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 14 Jun 2010, 21:30

Sounds like you had some good racing there Simon, well done on third in the crit.

And good one on the smart moves 8)

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 14 Jun 2010, 21:59

Well done Simon on your placing in the Crit. Also, sounds like you had a really good race in the handicap 80% of the way in with a chance.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Jun 2010, 22:28

Way to go Simon !!!!!!!!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Jun 2010, 06:05

Anyone know how Craig Weller went in Wagga?

weller

Postby weller » 15 Jun 2010, 10:39

I was slaughtered!!! They had me on the 6 min bunch (one in front of block). I felt like grandad!! I hung in until Junee (40ks) when scratch came through like a dose of salts, unfortunatley it was up the biggest hill of the race, so, follwing a quick vomit (literally) it was sionara for me. I motor paced for a while till I picked up a few stragglers and we cruised back.

I'm not sure what the handicappers were thinking. Last year I was 3 bunches further ahead and still was dropped. It's a pain in the bum paying 50 bucks to get a total whipping - us old blokes need to be looked after.

The good news was, that my young bloke made about 400 bucks busking at Rutherglen on the Sunday so he paid for the fuel!!!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jun 2010, 11:11

I'm not sure what the handicappers were thinking. Last year I was 3 bunches further ahead and still was dropped. It's a pain in the bum paying 50 bucks to get a total whipping - us old blokes need to be looked after.

The good news was, that my young bloke made about 400 bucks busking at Rutherglen on the Sunday so he paid for the fuel!!!
You blew $50 and he made $400... What were you thinking! :lol:

micklan

Postby micklan » 15 Jun 2010, 17:54

Well done Strawburger - top reports :wink: top racing - especially the road race mate

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 16 Jun 2010, 15:41

Thank you everyone! It was a pretty good weekend, plenty of good riders and the roads were very good. The locals pointed out the rough patches. One of the riders went on to say "there is a rough road coming up so watch all the holes". He obviously hasn't ridden through Sydney! I saw one pothole and a couple of edges that were broken away, but nothing to worry about. Recommend this weekend for those who want to make a long weekend out of it (it's a long way from Sydney!!!)

Return to “Road”