Report - Waratah Vets Enduro 5 April

Road cycling & upcoming rides
paul

Postby paul » 06 Apr 2010, 21:57

I raced with the Waratah Vets for the first time on Monday at the Eastern Creek Dragway. Despite signing in wearing thongs and trackie dacks, I was put in C grade. The race was 100 min plus one lap around the drag-way circuit, with a prime at half way. This course includes the quarter mile of the drag strip which is covered in thick, clingy, rubber that feels quite odd to ride on. C grade had 50+ riders, and so with F-A grades also racing, over 200 riders were on the track. I found no problem keeping up with the bunch, but had to watch it in the corners because it was easy to pick the wrong wheel and lose a lot of places. There was a nasty looking crash in A grade.

The only other racing I have done is at Heffron or the DHBC crits at Dunc Gray, this track was much roomier and smoother. I thought the 100 min would suit me and I was near the front for both the prime and the finish, but was out-thought and out-sprinted both times. A mate I ride with on Saturdays won C grade, and a meat tray for his efforts.

Good fun. Now I need to work developing a sprint.

Paul

micklan

Postby micklan » 07 Apr 2010, 06:24

Sawat dii khrap,

I've raced there as well - its an interesting track.
Although I don't remember riding for 100 mins.
Sounds like a large no. of riders.
There are photos by http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/Photo.htm

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 07 Apr 2010, 07:12

Sawat dii khrap,

I've raced there as well - its an interesting track.
Although I don't remember riding for 100 mins.
Sounds like a large no. of riders.
There are photos by http://www.erniesmithphoto.com.au/Photo.htm
Vets is usually under 55 minutes + 2 laps (less for C grade etc), but this was a special Enduro event so was longer.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 08 Apr 2010, 22:07

a meat tray?

Return to “Road”