The Heffon Park Report from a first timer

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Manny

Postby Manny » 28 Mar 2010, 09:14

As it was the first time I have entered a crit race and at Heffron I thought I'd write a small report on how I went. As I got there they wanted to put me straight into C grade but I managed to get myself into D grade. There was a massive head wind especially on the home straight which made it quite difficult finishing. Anyway we started off and I quickly positioned myself near the front and sat comfortably for the first 3 laps. I felt strong and I ended up at the front for the next 7 laps or so doing most of the work in the head wind. Nobody really wanted to break away so on the last lap I decided to up the tempo in which the bunch stayed with me until the back part of the course 3 or 4 riders took off and by that stage I didn't have the legs to stay on their wheel so falling behind I ended up finishing 6th with a time of 51 min for 12 laps at an average of 30km/hr. I was happy with my effort considering it was my first time.

Terry

Postby Terry » 28 Mar 2010, 17:18

well done.

Sounds fairly typical of D grade where there seems to be, in my experience, a reluctance to do turns on the front by most participants.

Atom

Postby Atom » 28 Mar 2010, 18:21

Hi

Stronger riders usaully set the paces,but don't be fool there alot of burglars in the pack and will start to play on the last lap.
Do short turns on the front and save your energy. The more you race the more experience you get . :D

micklan

Postby micklan » 28 Mar 2010, 19:07

Good report Manny you enjoyed it - also in D grade the peleton is smaller than other grades and i think we tend to do more work in D...that must have been one hell of a stherly :x

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 28 Mar 2010, 22:21

Good report Manny you enjoyed it - also in D grade the peleton is smaller than other grades and i think we tend to do more work in D...that must have been one hell of a stherly :x
yeah it was blowing a gale on Sat. The C grade sprint started at the last corner and stopped 100m later to restart 200m from the line.

timyone

Postby timyone » 29 Mar 2010, 12:26

thanx for the report manny :D keep it up, we love hearing about the races that we cant make it to!
(i was supposed to be there but ended up moving house all day with a friend :S

Return to “Road”