Training rides during the week

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Manny

Postby Manny » 08 Jan 2010, 18:02

Is there any training rides during the week or is there anyone willing to ride with me during the week? Need motivation and a bit more of a challenge

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Jan 2010, 18:16

Head out to Centennial Park and belt out some laps. There are plenty of cyclists/bunches there during early weekday mornings.

Julio

Postby Julio » 08 Jan 2010, 21:18

There are a few of us that do mid-week rides. Chat with us on sunday after waterfall and maybe you can jump on if your keen.

Anthony

Postby Anthony » 08 Jan 2010, 21:35

lol, i remember posting up an almost exact copy of this topic a few months ago. Weiyun gave me a similar reply. I took Weiyun's advice and did centennial, but it's so hard to stay motivated and go back to centennial again and again. I should add that it is probably more safe riding in centennial though.

I'm on holidays until March so i'll be pretty keen to ride during the week.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 08 Jan 2010, 22:24

I think it would be fantastic to have a quick mid week ride doing the hills around Bardwell Park, etc for about 1.5 hours ending around 7.15am. No idea of where, but perhaps someone can go out and scout a course.

Could be the equivalent of the famous eastern suburbs hill rides during the week, but in the innerwest.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 08 Jan 2010, 22:36

Depending on how fast you are, there are a few of us who ride with Randwick Botany on Tues and Thurs mornings. They leave from the Randwick Racecourse gates at 6:00am and get back a little after 7. The pace is about the same as the DHBC Fasties to Waterfall.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Jan 2010, 23:02

As John said, there are a lot of options out there at CP. It's not called the centre of cycling in Sydney for nothing. But the key is to know what and how you are training and have an objective to work towards. If you just want to ride and ride and watch scenery, then yes, CP loop can get boring. But if you have a training plan, then CP and surrounding area offer a wide variety of route options. And for interval training, there's nowhere that's safer than CP.

Otherwise just look at a map and work out a training loop around your area.

Julio

Postby Julio » 09 Jan 2010, 09:18

I think it would be fantastic to have a quick mid week ride doing the hills around Bardwell Park, etc for about 1.5 hours ending around 7.15am. No idea of where, but perhaps someone can go out and scout a course.

Could be the equivalent of the famous eastern suburbs hill rides during the week, but in the innerwest.
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Tour-De-Bardwell

This is the small route I took G and his merry band of smugglers on before they went touring to disneyland. It could be padded out by 5 k or more but it has hills for all, short sharp (Knight st) to long grinders (Wollongong rd).

Manny

Postby Manny » 09 Jan 2010, 15:43

I do have an objective that I'm working towards but don't have any kind of training plan. At the moment I'm just riding as I don't have a clue as to how to set out a training plan.

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Jan 2010, 08:45

how fit are you?
i ride with john on the tuesday and thursday rides at the moment, but they require a bit of fitness to keep up etc.

I could help you sit down and work out some training options, or how to get faster etc, im not one of our clubs coaches though, so there might be better options for it (im on the irish cycling team at the moment though, so im guessing that counts for some thing though)

Manny

Postby Manny » 11 Jan 2010, 09:29

I don't have the level of fitness to keep up with guys at your level. But any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated. I would dare say that being on any national team more than qualifies you to give advice

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Jan 2010, 10:23

lol, youd be surprised, its like music teaching, just because some one plays for a sympphony orchestra, doesnt mean they are good at teaching new people etc.

But yeah, just read that you did your first waterfall ride the other day. if you want to work from there, it depends a lot on where you want to get to, are you some one that can race, and how much time you have.

If you have the time, id say on a saturday saturday slowies as a second weekend ride is good, and just to work hard on it. It doesnt matter how fit you are, you can get some thing from slowies, the only question is really if you should head off and do another waterfall ride, or longer ride instead. If you are interested in racing, you should head out to hefron instead maybe, and start your work through the grades.

Morning rides during the week will depend on if you like riding by your self or not, and what you want to get good at. I think the brat pack could be a bosibility, they are a triathlete group though, and i think you may have to pay a bit in the first place to ride with them, or maybe buy a hot brat shirt and pretend you have :D They are on week days from centenial, and are easier than randwick training etc.

If you are cool riding by your self, and arent sick of centenial yet, head there, and either mix hill, lap hill, lap in, or maybe do intervals of hard training, like maybe a lap, or amount of time hard, then a lap or amount of time soft. You can also chuck your bike in a massive gear for a lap, then an amazingly small gear for a lap etc, that will make you spin, and hurt heaps :D but yeah talk to some one more about all these options in person id say.

Id have to meet you to work out what might be good.

Manny

Postby Manny » 11 Jan 2010, 17:31

Thanks Tim for all the advice. Will take everything on board and work towards an effective training schedule. Also seriously considering racing at Hefron but will need to get myself a racing licence first.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Jan 2010, 17:56

I do have an objective that I'm working towards but don't have any kind of training plan. At the moment I'm just riding as I don't have a clue as to how to set out a training plan.
So what is your objective? It's then easier to advise focused on that objective.

To get a step up from a very basic beginner level, any bit of riding is good to achieve some comfort on the bike. Once there, then it's a question on how much time you have. And to make the optimal use of one's available time, some form of interval based training is good as it is a focused and scientifically proven method to induce the most physical adaptation in the shortest time. It may not be the most pleasant and fun but it will be the most time efficient. Further, you should focus on the types of interval that targets your base power generation ie. 2x20 (2 repeats of sustained 20mins of continuous power). Don't worry too much about your sprinting ability or so called race fitness, because without a basic level of power, there will be no worthwhile sprinting to talk about. If you read in more detail, this base power is commonly referred to as FTP (Functional Threshold Power). So it is common for a training plan to include 2 sessions of 2x20 in a week along with 1 endurance ride session (eg. Sun Waterfall). And it is also said that riding 4 days a week (rest/recovery is also an important part of training) is a basic requirement for an effective training program. Of course, if we only have the time to ride 2 or 3 days, then that's life.

Hope this helps.

Manny

Postby Manny » 11 Jan 2010, 18:10

Well I've always wanted to do the Sydney to Gong Race and now joining a club I'd like to get into racing like at Hefron. But like I posted before I'd need to get my racing licence first. So I suppose I'd want to conquer some endurance and also some shorter competitions. Thanks for your input

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Jan 2010, 18:17

Sydney-Gong is NOT a race. ;)

But seriously, it is not as hard to achieve as some suggests. Many people ride their beater slowly on that annual ride and makes it. And given it's only around 90km, it's no harder than a Waterfall return unless you put on the pace.

Good luck with your training!

timyone

Postby timyone » 12 Jan 2010, 08:38

mate, you shouldnt be training to ride there, you should be training to ride there and back. Give it a year and you will be cruising it.

Return to “Road”