Ken Dinnerville 2010 race entries open

Road cycling & upcoming rides
mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Jun 2010, 11:37

Suppose its time for me to put in my race report.
Background
2008 - Bunch 2, dropped by the mega bunch about 8k from the finish. Ave speed 38kph (calculated)
2009 - Bunch 2, rode with the flu, dropped by the mega bunch early into lap 3
2010 - Bunch 4, previous day's crash was hurting me, had difficulty getting on the bike but seemed to be able ride it fine. Decided to race with the intention of completing 1 lap and then get Micks ute and drive up to a spot to take photos.

Race
Lap 1 - felt nauseous for the first 10k and then felt better. The pace was within me despite being 2 more bunch's back and yesterdays off. Dropped on the hill but rode back on.

Lap 2 - The mega bunch formed, felt comfortable, pace up a little but still manageable. No issues on the hill.

Lap 3 - Rode across a split after the turnaround. Turned out to be the wrong decision as the bunches eventually regrouped. 3 riders went off the front and the bunch basically sat up. This slowdown is what probably cost the mega bunch the race as in the end the scratchies caught. On the hill the mega bunch exploded, I rode around a stack of riders, only to just miss the front bunch (actually 2 bunches of 10 each). Once I got my composure back I chased with one other rider and while I was gaining the other rider was spent and we went backwards when he was on the front. Eventually I noticed we were being caught by another bunch, turned out to be scratch. I caught the bunch but only lasted a few K's. Rode solo and then found the same other rider again and we cruised back, enjoying the country side this time, didn't notice it before.

Result
Scratch - 40th
Handicap - 39th
Though the actual is better than above due to the inclusion of DNF riders.
Now that James is explained, 3rd DHBC rider (both scratch and handicap)
2:20:50.14 for a calculated 39.5kph average speed, 1.5kph faster than 2008.

Post Morton
If only - we nearly always have one of these. A marginal improvement on the hill would of done it. At the base a lot of riders went around on the wrong side of the road, I too should of crept up prior to the climb.
Injury - I hurt like buggery afterwards, it also removed my ability to use my upper body on the climb.
Should I - No I shouldn't of ridden
Result - I'm really pleased with my result.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Jun 2010, 11:57

Result
Scratch - 40th
Handicap - 39th
Though the actual is better than above due to the inclusion of DNF riders.
There could be other DNF riders included in that list. So your real position could be even better. ;)

G

Postby G » 04 Jun 2010, 17:55

For the identical electromagnetic pattern along the length of the finishing mat, it'd be good enough for ID tags all coming in from the same direction, at the same height.

So if you tie your tag at the lowest point on the fork, you can gain an inch or so... because you will be detected earlier! Cheat invented :twisted:

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 04 Jun 2010, 23:37

Some photos are up. Some good shots of DHBC riders coming up the hill and Al next to his van supporting.

http://www.illawarracycleclub.org.au/ga ... 23-29.html

See if anyone can spot the photo with Christian flicking his 'mechanical doping switch' to roar over the hill.......

Return to “Road”