UCI wheel regulation enforced from 1 Sept 2009

Road cycling & upcoming rides
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Jul 2009, 13:37

Strict UCI wheel rules are going to be enforced from 1 Sept 2009 for all U19, U23, Elite and all Masters divisions races under CA's banner.
http://www.cycling.org.au/?page=34391

List of UCI approved wheels.
http://www.uci.ch/Modules/BUILTIN/getOb ... c&LangId=1

Not quite sure what this means for all the custom and minor brand wheels out there but it would appear that any wheels with rims deeper than 25mm will need to be specifically approved and be on the list for use.

christian

Postby christian » 22 Jul 2009, 08:34

This makes a lot of wheels illegal. Whats the depth of a velocity deep V? I know this makes my TWE road wheels illegal as they are 30mm deep rims. With any luck Greg will be getting these tested so they pass.

This ruling is only for mass start events, so it doesn't include track or time trials (not that I ride these).

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 Jul 2009, 09:21

are you sure bout the not being about track thing?

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 22 Jul 2009, 09:23

No-one should be too concerned. I was speaking to Jet Black about their token wheels yesterday and they said they are in the process of getting approval. Saying this, I'm sure that most brands are also very aware of this and are also seeking approval as we speak.

And yes, deep V's cross this barrier, as do 20 spoke Spartacus!!!

christian

Postby christian » 22 Jul 2009, 09:57

Tim, if you look at the list they are all road wheels, and it mentions in 1.3.018 that it applies to mass start races, no mention of track.

Toff

Postby Toff » 22 Jul 2009, 11:45

The UCI has previously approved my Shamals (old model, not the G3s) for mass start racing, but strangely, the UCI web page that used to show the exemption is no longer up. Only Campag wheels in current production seem to be on the UCI exempt list.

I'm still going to use my Shamals or Ventos, because they have been break tested in the past, and compared to modern wheels, they are less aero than many alternatives.

Anyway, there was a guy at RAW on Friday using a FLY disc wheel, which was banned by the UCI in around 1992. No-one cared.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 22 Jul 2009, 22:02

This makes a lot of wheels illegal. Whats the depth of a velocity deep V? I know this makes my TWE road wheels illegal as they are 30mm deep rims. With any luck Greg will be getting these tested so they pass.

This ruling is only for mass start events, so it doesn't include track or time trials (not that I ride these).
Velocity Deep V's are 30mm deep and therefore not UCI legal.

Cycling Australia and the UCI seem to be doing their best to kill club level racing.

othy

Postby othy » 01 Sep 2009, 11:54

More information about the wheel restrictions.

http://www.cycling.org.au/?page=34391
Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Cycling Australia wishes to advise all competitors in the U19, U23, Elite and all Masters divisions, that from 1 September 2009 only wheels that conform to the CA Technical Regulation Annexure 6, UCI Bike Regulations 1.3.018 will be permitted to be used in mass start road racing.

The following ammendments were approved by the recent CA Board with immediate effect:

A 'Standard' wheel is defined as a wheel manufactured entirely of metal and having 16 or more spokes.
It shall be the sole responsibility of all competitors to ensure the wheels used in any mass start road competition comply with Annexure 6 of Cycling Australia's Technical Regulations - UCI Bike Regulation 1.3.018. Should a competitor use a wheel which is in breach of this regulation and that wheel is found to have caused injury to any person or damage to property, the competitor using these wheels may be liable for all costs arising from the incident.
Looks like all those Deep-V's are now legal along with those with Alu TWE wheels.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Sep 2009, 13:54

They have finally come to their senses. But what's interesting is that this special approval is by CA, not UCI.

fixedgear

Postby fixedgear » 01 Sep 2009, 19:12

They have finally come to their senses. But what's interesting is that this special approval is by CA, not UCI.
I don't think CA really had a choice as hundreds if not thousands of CA licence holders would have had non complying wheelsets had the UCI rule been applied strictly.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Sep 2009, 19:16

I don't think CA really had a choice as hundreds if not thousands of CA licence holders would have had non complying wheelsets had the UCI rule been applied strictly.
Agree. But I would have expected the same user pressure in pretty much all the countries. I think there are as many custom build wheel users in Europe and America. I can't see how Australia can be unique in this aspect.

Return to “Road”