Heffron 18.7.09

Road cycling & upcoming rides
timyone

Postby timyone » 18 Jul 2009, 16:49

Alex Ramsey 2nd in B grade!!!! Tim (othy) (not me) 1st in c grade, Ian 2nd in C grade. and did mark L get a spot too? :S sorry i get mixed up with fixed gear!!! he got 3rd in one of the grades!

But yes :D good riding by all :D we had me Ki Witich and Alex in B grade, Tim and i think Mark L in c grade, and Ian in D grade.

I cant tell you what happened in the lower grades, as i didnt see them, but we cruised around in our grade, i owe Alex for catching me onto a break group, which every one in the end caught up to, i nearly did a break away or two but went a bit fast for the two guys and dropped them, then when i slowed for them, i didnt like the sound of thier breathing, i was going to try one with a younger guy, but i think people payed more attention to this one, and the pack was chasing us more. In the last 5 laps i stayed in second wheel (i had about 5 different first wheel partners :D and then i turned around and had Alex there! i sat the front for the last lap, worried about the guy in the confidis clothing who smiles alot and who had raced the whole thing on the back, and was hoping to lead Alex out, who was on my wheel, but i turned around again, and he was gone :(

We got into the sprint, and i didnt get any good wheels, i think my too low a gear thing isnt working, i get to the end warn out but no sore legs, so will change that next time. Alex absolutely flew past me to take second.

othy

Postby othy » 18 Jul 2009, 18:01

Not much happened in C. I tried to stay near the front most of the race, few people attempted stabs off the front that were quickly shut down. Overall the pace was a bit slow and I think everyone could feel it was going to be a sprint to the finish.

With a few laps to go one guy tried to create a few more surges through the pack, upping the speed out of the corners.

Speed picked up for first 1/3 of the last lap (what is with the bell making everyone go faster!). Then the next third was a bit of jostling for position, I moved myself to the right hand side so I could get a good run out of the final corner. Had a bit of a look around to see where the contenders were and tried to choose a wheel to launch my sprint.

Was able to maintain my position in the final corner and everyone seemed poised for the sprint. The wheel I'd chosen went nice and early, I heard Matt winding up just behind me, so I jumped. Got a bit of distance and held it all the way to the line.

Going to move up to B grade next week and join all the other DHBC riders that have accumulated there.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2009, 20:42

Great riding guys

What was the wind like? What was the average speed? Any photo's?

othy

Postby othy » 19 Jul 2009, 20:57

Wind was from the right down the straight, but not much, as good as one can expect at heffron. Average speed was down across the board, but particularly in C grade.

Results can be see here -

http://www.randwickbotanycc.org.au/Resu ... y_2009.htm

Beanzy

Postby Beanzy » 19 Jul 2009, 23:05

Sorry,

I can't agree that the average speed was down for C grade.

It was 34.9km/h by my clock.

This is right in the middle of the range for C (34-36km/h)

Sure it wasn't windy (by Heffron standards) but the pace was good.

OK D grade passed us on the opening lap but this was an exception so i have heard from the D graders. Read Bucko's report on D grade. A few will be getting a tap oin the shoulder.

Apparantly (i did not race) 3 weeks ago C grade was about 36.5 driven by a bloke who won B grade on the Saturday. This race dropped most riders in about 5 laps, hardly right.

FYI Average speeds in C grade for the last few races when i have raced (latest to earliest) by my clock (well the ones i finished anyway!)

34.9 18/7
35 11/7
35.9 23/5
34.4 16/5
35.4 9/5
34.7 2/5

So by comparison not slow. If it was too slow well...

Anyway great win by Tim. He got the jump on me.

I did get to the front and slowed it down a few times!

Other Stats:

Dist: 28.26km
time: 48.38
avg cad: 77rpm
avg HR:165bpm
Max speed: 53.8km/h
Max HR: 192bpm

othy

Postby othy » 20 Jul 2009, 08:43

Thanks Beanzy.

I thought the speed was down because my last race in C was 3 weeks ago, when it was 36.5 in windy conditions! D grade coming past also gave me this impression - though they didn't actually make it past, just sat beside then slowed up (or we sped up - one or the other).

Either way, I'll be moving myself up to B grade next time. Hope you can join me soon, we've been racing together since I started.

micklan

Postby micklan » 20 Jul 2009, 21:23

These are great results fellas. I'm seriously thinking of a full training program to get back some flare... oh and to keep up too :idea:

Return to “Road”