Tour De Shire

Road cycling & upcoming rides
geoff m

Postby geoff m » 29 Mar 2009, 11:49

I've always wondered who was the large group riding along Grand Parade opposite to us when we were coming home, around Brighton. I always considered them a possibility if I ever slept in, or had a late night. Well today was the day.

After waking up at 5.45am by my Nokia phone alarm, but seeing how light it was, I realised I was a victim of the Daylight saving programming in my phone, which did not update for any changes by NSW Parliament for daylight saving times. So I went back to sleep and then took off to get to the Brighton by about 9.00am where I said hi to the fasties who turned into Bestic Street at the same time.

Sure enough, the bunch came by and I hopped on. It was Cronulla Tri-Club. They start at about 7.00am up their way, go to Centennial, have coffee, then head back. I stayed at the back so as not to get in their way.

When coming into Cronulla, they broke up into different groups, some going home, some going off to Kurnell and others going elsewhere.

One of the riders saw I was a tourist (I had only been into the heart of Cronulla 2 times in my life) and deciding to take me for a tour, up Wanda Beach, into the town, out to the lookout over Bundeena, and past Shelley Beach. I was then shown back to Shark Park where there is a bike path. I then took this along a canal for about 2 kms, then through back streets, and onto Captain Cook Bridge cycle path. I didn't even know there was a bike track. Great to know, if you don't want to cycle back by yourself in the heavy traffic.

They seem a very friendly and safety concious bunch. Worth remembering if anyone else sleeps in or has a late night out.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Mar 2009, 12:10

I wondered what the heck you were doing on Bestic St. :lol:

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 30 Mar 2009, 10:28

I bumped into a guy from Cronulla Tri club at Audley around 8:30 AM. His knee had blown out and he was waiting for a lift.
I headed down to Bundeena to meet my family, which got me thinking about a Marrickville-Waterfall- RNP-Bundeena-Coffee/Breakfast-Ferry-Cronulla-Marrickville ride sometime.

michele

Postby michele » 01 Apr 2009, 19:12

Thats my favourite ride. If it's ever a DHBC ride and no plans to ride at record breaking speed I'd love to join! The ferry masters are accomodating to bikes on board but not in large numbers which is fair enough.

Return to “Road”