Clarence st cup.

For all things Velodrome
scully

Postby scully » 24 Nov 2012, 10:16

Am thinking of heading out to Dunc Gray to do some cheerleading. Are many non- participants going?
I will be riding from Tempe at 5pm on a leisurely route along the Cooks river, Rookwood and some quiet backstreets. Anyone want to come? I will probably catch the train back.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 25 Nov 2012, 14:43

A HUGE night out at Dunc Gray yesterday afternoon and last night! I got home at 11.30pm or something . Hard to drag myself out for ride leader duties this morning!

Joanne Troutman did really well with a win and a place. Lizanne, Mike, Broughton and Rohan all picked up a placings. There were quite a few near places with Matt Wallman, John Nguyen, Rhys Edwards and James Fowler just missing out in a few races.

I think there were 4 juniors there (I might have missed another one) and can I tell you, Arthur was so pleased to see the juniors out there. He's been a stalwart of our club for years and years and see the highs and lows.

Caleb Ewen took out the Men's Clarence Street Cup in a very exciting finish with Mark Renshaw coming in 2nd. Dodgy vid of the race here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k8JQ67I- ... e=youtu.be

There was also a derny challenge between Mark Renshaw and Graeme Brown - something I've never seen before. Mark Renshaw's helmet cam vid of that challenge is here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No474Xlm ... e=youtu.be You can see where Renshaw drops off his derny and jumps on to Brown's wheel for a little while. He tweeted earlier today that "Haven't spun this quick in a while on the velodrome." Dial up, dial down, dial up. Oops, blown up!

The Women's Clarence Street Cup went to Kate Gilbert from Hunter CC. It was a very different race, with fewer starters and more spread out. Lizanne Wilmot (6th), Jo Troutman (8th) and I all raced the women's race with me off limit.

DHBC results:
Open Women Miss-N-Out Division 1 - Lizanne Wilmot Bronze

Open Women Miss-N-Out Division 2 - Joanne Trouman Gold (amazing result as Jo and I were hoping they would cancel this race, neither of us wanted to do it!)

Open Men Motor Pace Division 3 - Michael Clement Silver

WMAS Scratch Race - Joanne Troutman Bronze

JM15 Handicap Repechage - Broughton Caley Bronze

JB13 Sprint Derby - Divison 2 Rohan Hayden Smith Bronze

A big thanks to the cheersquad - you were on the front and back straights and I could certainly hear you as I'm sure did everyone else. It makes a big difference and I hope you all had plenty of exciting racing to watch.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 25 Nov 2012, 16:34

Great report Eleri. Very memorable night at the Velodrome. Big crowd (though as Scully said, if you weren't in a bike club, you wouldn't know about it), very well run with a tight schedule and believe it or not, 90 races!

Dulwich Hill were everywhere and the competition was really world class with a lot of big names and exciting racing.

All our riders did us proud and it was terrific to see our Juniors out there and going for it.

Lizanne, Jo and Eleri seemed to be in every fourth race and fought like demons for the podium.

Being part of the cheersquad was a full on job!

But I have to tell you of one race in particular - div 3 Open Men Motor Pace. This was a gutsy ride by Mike the Bike Clement. Soon as the gun went off, he was welded to the gerny's rear mudguard and it was on. All the others strung out the back and were moving round all over the place. Mike had total focus and stayed 10mm off that rear guard as the pace went up and up. We applauded his plan, but would it work?

Two laps to go and the gerny signals off. All our eyes are on Mike. He just powered off the front and did it early, total commitment.

We went hoarse screaming. It looked like he could get away with it. All the others out the back were caught napping, and began to fight for wheels and swerve all over the banking, trying to make up the speed.

But this lot had come from all over the State for a reason, and somehow one got close enough for a photo finish. Mike got second on the line. He had put his whole heart into it and looked pretty happy!

Just one of many truly great races at the Clarence Street Cup. Congrats to the organisers, crew and riders.

And having Crafty sprinkling his magic on the mike was just the best.

scully

Postby scully » 25 Nov 2012, 19:14

photos Pete?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 Nov 2012, 20:04

Thanks for the report Peter. I didn't know why I had got off the front, I thought I had caught them napping, but from your report I gather their may of been a case of looking at each other, for just enough time for me to get the gap I got. Have to admit that I didn't hear Paul Craft, I must of been too engrossed. A tip for new riders, is that if your got yourself into a situation like I did, then listen to Crafty, he does an excellent job of letting you know what's happening and what to do.

I tried the same tacit in the wheel race qualification, except I attacked from the rear, as I suspected I would be marked if I attacked from anywhere else. However that time they instantly responded and the drag race was on and lost, with only 2 qualifying.

While only coming 8th in the Repo-charge wheel race, I felt that the primary reason for going track racing for the last 2 weeks had been achieved, that been to regain my race craft confidence, which had been stunningly poor since my accident in January. In the wheel race I was completely blocked in and moved myself outwards as close as I could to James which exhibited that confidence had returned.

Congratulations to all the DHBC riders, everyone of you did well

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 26 Nov 2012, 12:13

Juniors had good rides. Broughton and Taku starting to employ more tactical racing in each event. Both did well in the Miss-n-out. Rohan rode extremely well for his first race, keeping up and earmarking himself as a contender to watch. It didn't take long for him to show his speed, and he came third in the Derby – had his race-face on the entire time. Great concentration, Rohan.

Tom took to the track with a bit of a cold in U17/Div 1. Some tough, fast competition out there. Really fast. From my perspective, the races looked pretty tactically tough as well.

Taku got tangled after a wheel touch in front of him neutralised the repechage, and he sat out the re-run. Bro rode a blinder to come third. Both went back in for a scratch race, probably a bit weary by this stage, but they rode hard and are looking increasingly comfortable on the track.

All in all good rides from Tom, Taku, Bro and Rohan. We missed Tess and Alison due to a roller-scooter mishap. Having more cross-over with the seniors certainly made the (younger) juniors feel they were part of something bigger. Lizanne providing good cheer to all of them from an early hour.

Other trivial observations: the sea of red junior and senior DHBC jerseys was used as a backdrop for Kate Bates' reporting... and Mark Renshaw is shorter than I expected. I'm not sure what he thought of me.

rhys

Postby rhys » 26 Nov 2012, 18:35

Some photos by Mark Gunter are up here:
http://markgunter.photomerchant.net/gal ... 2c892a07e1

I'd write up a race report but I don't remember too much.

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 27 Nov 2012, 16:32

On fire at Dunc Gray.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 27 Nov 2012, 17:42

They look so cute....what am I talking about? They're bigger than me.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 27 Nov 2012, 19:39

Ya, I'm too small to fit on those bikes

bro

Postby bro » 28 Nov 2012, 20:18

Who you calling cute?!?!?
;)

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 02 Dec 2012, 19:36

Spoted Eleri on todays sbs cycling central report on this event

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Dec 2012, 07:15

Spoted Eleri on todays sbs cycling central report on this event
And Trouty was on too ... riding past Eleri ;-)

rhys

Postby rhys » 03 Dec 2012, 07:50

Was it up first? It's not on the website video of the day's episode. After all I did to make sure I walked past Ms Bates while she was being filmed :(
http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... central-tv

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Dec 2012, 16:05

The video is up here >> http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... yclery-Cup

Some DHBCers in frame right at the start; also in the crowd at 3:20 I see Pete T, Michele, Adam & somebody in a DHBC jersey and then at 5:30 there's Eleri & Trouty in the women's CSC

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 03 Dec 2012, 16:48

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 03 Dec 2012, 19:42

The video is up here >> http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/vi ... yclery-Cup

Some DHBCers in frame right at the start; also in the crowd at 3:20 I see Pete T, Michele, Adam & somebody in a DHBC jersey and then at 5:30 there's Eleri & Trouty in the women's CSC
That somebody is Dayna.

In a crowd shot very early in the vid I can see the DHBC crew messing around with their bikes. Including that pink one :-)

rhys

Postby rhys » 03 Dec 2012, 20:46

Yup, I walk right behind Kate Bates as she's talking. Looks like my shoes need a clean.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 04 Dec 2012, 09:16

The group of us in the compound appears in 15 thru 20 seconds. And later on, Matt is in the background of another interview.

So one more moment of DHBC glory :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Jan 2013, 21:33

I've been advised of some photos of DHBC riders in the Clarence st cup. Appears to contain all the adult riders

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/man354e7jn2ea3p/1ML8FTJPbn

rhys

Postby rhys » 11 Jan 2013, 03:31

Thanks for the tip Mike. Is Todd a member of the club?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 11 Jan 2013, 08:22

I don't think so. He told me on another forum that he had a picture of me so I asked him what DHBC pictures he had

Return to “Track”