My first track bike

For all things Velodrome
Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 15 Oct 2012, 16:32

If I were to start out on the track, what is a good entry level bike that could:

1. Be ridden on the track (for training mostly)
2. Be raced (occasionally)
3. Be ridden on road (with brakes obviously)

Am I talking about two bikes for the above or does someone do this already? I realise that the brakes would need to come off and go back on each time I change its purpose.

What other 'trackie' essentials are required to get started? I'm debating on laying out the cash to get onto the track.

Cheers,

Noel

RR-M

Postby RR-M » 16 Oct 2012, 13:21

hi noz,
Ive been down the road (or perhaps track :) ) that you are embarking on. Ruby is a new junior and I trawled the net for what were the options to begin. In a nutshell there are few choices locally, Avanti Pista/Pista Pro, Hillbrick (campbelltown custom frame/bike builder), Fuji Track, Edge frames from Kirrawee bike shop. Second handers on Ebay from time to time, but in the end I went shopping in the UK to get what we needed. What is your ballpark budget? what frame material, steel, alu, alu/carb, full carb ?
Alan

patn

Postby patn » 16 Oct 2012, 13:37

hi Noel

My first track bike was a felt - it was great. Mine was a second hand TK2,
it rode really nicely. It was drilled for front brakes too, and I have now
converted it into a fixie and it goes fine on the road. I think Felt's TK3 and
TK2 are very popular cause they are good to ride on, reliable and affordable.
From memory Pham rides a TK3, and Rhys and the beer boys ride TK2s.

See you at Tempe soon!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Oct 2012, 18:38

An Avanti Pista is about $600 new from Burwood cycles. When I was flirting with track that's what I would have bought. I never moved past the flirtation period though ...

http://www.bikeexchange.com.au/bicycles ... /102071491

and there's a Felt TK3 on ebay that's got 2 x brake levers attached but no rear brake?? http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2011-FELT-TK ... 337cca845e

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 19 Oct 2012, 16:49

Thanks All.

Budget is around $1k.

I'm aiming to sell my old roadie to cover the cost of a track bike. (n-1+1) :|

I've spoken to the guys @ Kirawee and sounds like they know their stuff. Will pay them a visit. The Edge setup for $1k seems to be decent. I'll keep my eyes open for a second hand bike tho.

rhys

Postby rhys » 19 Oct 2012, 20:23

Apparently Goldcross are having a 50% off sale at the moment, it might be worth hitting that up.
FWIW, my Tk2 was my dream bike when I bought it (nearly three years ago now!) and I've only recently thought about retiring it because it's getting a bit noodley. Great bikes!

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 04 Nov 2012, 16:39

I've decided to build up a spare track frame that my old man has in his garage. If anyone has some pointers for any sources of either second hand kit or where to buy new value for money kit please let me know. Budget for build is sub $1k.

I'll be cheaping on the wheels with a view to pick up some better ones later.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 05 Nov 2012, 07:16

go to Peter Bundy. you'll get a nice set of wheels for a steal. he also has a lot of 'stuff' new, NOS, and second hand that you can use to build the bike.

is the frame steel? if it is i found a really nice 130mm TTT stem in my bike stuff last week. I'll trade it for beers @ the Christmas party, and maybe a game of bowls.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 05 Nov 2012, 10:06

I believe the frame is alloy. I've not laid eyes on it yet but am going to Canberra this weekend to collect it. I'm pretty sure that it will have frame, headset, stem and seatpost but will need to see what is there when i get there. The top tube is 55cm and may be a smidge long for me (most of my bikes are ~54cm) but have been advised that can be good for a track bike but have nothing to compare it to. Wait and see i guess.

I will try and come to Tempe to try out a loan bike in the interim if i get the chance. See if I can absorb some track know-how before I take the plunge.

rhys

Postby rhys » 05 Nov 2012, 18:57

A 130mm quill stem will flex like a raw sausage! Let me know what parts you need to get rolling Noel, I have most things except for wheels/cranks that you might need to get rolling.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 05 Nov 2012, 21:03

Thanks Rhys. Will do. I may have found a complete bike. Will see how I go. Any suggestions for an entry level set of wheels?

I saw some Miche Pistard clinchers or tubulars for $230 on Wiggle. I've got no idea when it comes to track. They are nice and stiff though (always good for sprinting).

Return to “Track”