Track and Pedal systems

For all things Velodrome
utopia

Postby utopia » 27 Jun 2011, 15:06

First question is about UCI compliance of pedals
Various older posts here seem to indicate that anything from SPDs / Crank Bros / SPD-SL / Look / Speedplay / Toe straps can all be used on the track.

Is this correct or is there an official UCI compliance requirement for pedals for track use?

Would something like a Power-Grip strap (http://www.cheekytransport.com.au/stuff ... wer-grips/) be compliant?

My aim, at this stage, is to plan a pedal system for a U-13 junior. (and possibly reuse some of the spares I have)

Toe straps on the loan bikes and mainly SPD-SL on personal bikes seem to be the most popular among the juniors.
I didn't see any SPD-SL with additional straps for safety, (or anything like http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/viewtopic. ... edal#p4210 ) then again I suppose the juniors don't ride anything like some of the trackies here (yet).

From experience , the maintenance / cost point of view road type Look / Speedplay cleats all wear out as they protrude.
They also make walking a relative pain and dangerous on slightly slippery surfaces - and they require specific shoes.
I assume SPD-SLs share the same characteristics.
Is there a specific advantage the SPD-SL have over Look/Speedplays for track use?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Toff

Postby Toff » 28 Jun 2011, 07:45

I'm not aware of any specific UCI rules in relation to pedals, except that the width of the chainset, cannot exceed 380mm (handlebar width) including pedals, and the pedals cannot create a fairing of any sort, which provides an aerodynamic advantage to the rider.

In any case, the UCI rules mean little at club level. Safety and commonsense are much more important. Elastic straps around a pedal would never be acceptable on a track, whether racing or training, unless there is a cleat mechanism providing the primary attachment mechanism underneath. Track riding has sufficient risk without having people's feet flying out.

The foot must be firmly affixed to the pedal, with little (if any) chance of being pulled, and causing an accident. Use any pedal you like as long as the foot cannot slip out under the loads experienced in sudden acceleration. You don't train for 4 years to pull your foot on the start of the biggest race of your career. (Unless your name is Shane Kelly). Straps on clipless pedals serve 2 purposes. In some instances they provide additional clamp force and hold the front of the shoe firmly against the foot, but mainly, they are there to ensure that the main clamping mechanism of the clipless pedal is not able to rotate to the release position during racing conditions.

AlexD

Postby AlexD » 28 Jun 2011, 14:10

Shimano SPD-SL pedals are very similar to other "regular" 3-bolt road pedals, e.g. Look Keos.

These would work fine, but as above, it's quite possible to unclip accidentally when sprinting. Even as a junior, you don't want to be worrying yourself with the idea of unclipping when learning to "pull up" as hard as you can for a standing start.
I think "regular" road pedals that can then have a strap attached when required (Simon has posted about this) are probably the best option for this reason, for any aspiring sprinter at least.
The other important thing is making sure the cleats aren't too worn down - that's when they start to unclip more easily.

Speedplay pedals are a bit different. A very good system, but I think there is still a small risk of unclipping. Attaching extra straps isn't possible due to the small, double sided pedals (though being double sided is obviously handy on the road). They're also expensive, and maybe more easily damaged than others due to the complicated cleat design.

I use Keywin pedals for the track, which can be ordered with a "track adaptor". This is a small brass pin operated by a lever on the pedal, that locks the cleat to the pedal. I think they're quite good, a bit easier to use than a strap system, once you get used to the lever. They don't have the "solid" feel of a strap over your foot though.

utopia

Postby utopia » 29 Jun 2011, 12:27

"Elastic straps around a pedal would never be acceptable on a track, whether racing or training,.....Track riding has sufficient risk without having people's feet flying out."

Understood.
Power Grips are not elastic from what I can tell and pretty secure (from what I read of road use anyway)
- does that mean it's acceptable? Does anyone on the track ride with this or any of the variants like
Skin Grows back DX pedal system : http://www.skingrowsback.com/products/i ... ucts_id=28
Brisbane Outdoor FRS strap ons (yes it sounds wrong) : http://www.bogear.com.au/frs.html

"Straps on clipless pedals serve 2 purposes. In some instances they provide additional clamp force and hold the front of the shoe firmly against the foot, but mainly, they are there to ensure that the main clamping mechanism of the clipless pedal is not able to rotate to the release position during racing conditions." - I didn't know that- I thought it was a fail-safe measure following a disengagement.

"Keywin pedals" - never heard of them - will research - thanks.

By the way is it true that the main benefit among the Clipless systems is actually the fact that the shoes made for these system are far stiffer - Once your feet are in position/clipped in during a race the various systems themselves do not make an actual difference ?

AlexD

Postby AlexD » 29 Jun 2011, 13:44

Power Grips, Skin Grows Back straps and BO gear straps are all designed to go on BMX pedals. They are all very popular for use on the street, but are definitely not suitable for use on the track. The appeal with these is that any type of shoe can be used, i.e. sneakers.

The difference is that with those straps, if you pull your foot backwards, it comes straight out of the strap. Great for stopping at traffic lights, but on the track you want to pedal with force in "full circles", i.e. not just pushing down, but pulling up, and across, and back. You really need to lock your feet to the pedals to do this. That's why modern clipless pedals are so good.

Traditional track pedals with toeclips were designed to be used with cycling shoes that have the old slotted cleats on them. Like these:
Traditional shoes with cleats: http://www.yellowjersey.org/CLEAT86.JPG
Traditional pedals: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_8Tly19mAQzI/S ... G_3208.jpg
With these, the strap keeps the shoe from lifting off the pedal, and the slotted cleat stops it sliding backwards. So if you were going to use pedals with toeclips then you would want cycling shoes with cleats to do it properly.

I think the best option for a junior rider would be "regular" road pedals, e.g. Look Keos or similar. They can then use the same shoes/cleats on a road bike (saves cost, and learning 1 system is easier than 2).
They're about $90 for pedals+cleats online:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/look-keo-classic-pedals/
If they grow up to be a really strong sprinter, they can attach extra straps for safety, but as long as the cleats aren't old and worn I don't think there would be a problem.

I hope that helps!

scully

Postby scully » 29 Jun 2011, 17:43

Hi,
I think i should contribute as i have used power grips on the track.
The short answer is they are fine for starting out and just training at Tempe but use proper pedals/shoes for racing or shaving a few seconds off times.

Longer version: Power grips are cool. I have them on my everyday bike.The first time i went to the track I put my pedals on a loaner bike.No probs- feels very secure.I have also ridden with the standard pedals/toe straps. They are o.k. Both of these options enable you to wear normal shoes.They are the same for performance with power grips winning for comfort and ease of use.
But as Alex has pointed out modern clipless pedals with proper shoes are more efficient. So you will go a bit faster with the same amount of effort.
I decided to get proper shoes and pedals when i decided i liked the track and was going to continue.
So it depends on what you want to spend up front and how keen you think junior will be to continue.
good luck

Return to “Track”