DHBC Juniors Training and News 18th May 2011

For all things Velodrome
michellebrown

Postby michellebrown » 19 May 2011, 15:48

Hi Everyone,
Managed a fun training session in spite of the South bank being out of bounds due to moisture. Thanks to Jessica for helping with a roller session and Hugo Venville for looking after the riders on the track. Chris Venville and Donna Bolton helped proceedings along superbly by running standing start individual time trials - the results have been emailed. We're expecting Phil Kelly back to coaching next week, and with further luck the whole track will be dry! :mrgreen:

Welcome to our newest member Oscar Leppan and also to prospective members Tully O'Leary and Mark Wilkinson. What a great bunch of juniors we have now with ages from U9 to U17. It all makes for more fun and competition.

Licences
Please be aware that you cannot train on the track without a licence, which will cover you for insurance in the event of an accident.You can apply for your licence on-line by following this link:

http://www.cycling.org.au/default.asp?P ... 0013/39143

Don't forget to scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the "Join Now" button. Then follow the prompts to select your state, club (DHBC), licence type (ride for all junior $55) and enter you identification information and payment details.

If you're already licenced - you can upgrade to a racing licence or renew your "ride for all" licence via the membership tab of the website. Your log-in is your last name and post code. Please let me know by return email what your licence number is when you receive it. A plastic membership card will be sent to you once your membership is accepted and processed.

Equipment
For the benefit of newer members, certain equipment is mandatory for training on the track. You need a shirt with short or long sleeves to cover your shoulders. You need a properly fitted helmet with Australian standard sticker 1698, gloves and sturdy sports shoes. Things you might consider are cycling nicks (worn without underpants) which are purpose made to improve comfort and are a good investment. Another good investiment is cycling shoes and pedals, which can be used on the loan bikes. Club uniforms are available for members and mandatory for competition. If you're really getting into your track cycling you should invest in your own bike. Good new entry level bikes can be found for $500-$750. There are great second hand deals about too, but be careful to get professional advice about the right size for you. I've emailed the gearing ratio chart again for those of you who missed it last time. Junior gears are restricted according to age group - the details are at the bottom of the chart.

Volunteers Needed
The DHBC Committee has invited us to price a track kit for the Juniors to use. I'd love someone to take this project on. We need things like a tool kit, spare tubes, tyres, cogs, a pump and fold up roller, mounted on a luggage rack or similar to take to competitions and for use in general. Let me know if you can help out.

I'd also like to do an audit of the loan bikes essential measurements and gearing ratios, to make it easier to choose the best bike for junior riders. See me if you can help out on this score. You really just need some spare time, a pen and tape measure! It could easily be done during training sessions over a couple of weeks.

Extra-Cycular Activities
Congratulations to Hugo Venville and Hugo Thompson for their stunning win and hilarious performance in the first round of the Theatre Sports competition held at Newington College on Tuesday night. They finished first from eight schools and are through to the semi-finals. I'll let you know when they're on - it's a really fun night of entertainment!

That's all for now,
till next time - keep rolling,
Michelle Brown
DHBC Juniors
0412 442 550

Return to “Track”