RAW Track Launch 09

For all things Velodrome
Artson

Postby Artson » 21 May 2009, 23:22

RAW Track is back again for 2009, we are exactly four Weeks out from Week 1 on Friday June 19. The season will run for 15 weeks concluding on Friday September 25.

The RAW media launch of what’s new for 09 can be found by clicking on the video link below.

http://preview.play.viostream.com/?play ... speed=high

Till June 19; “if it isn’t fixed, it’s broken!’

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2009, 05:35

niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
about time with the forum?!!!

Terry

Postby Terry » 22 May 2009, 05:36

Is that Simon on the promo Video?

timyone

Postby timyone » 22 May 2009, 05:57

you mean, is that simon being beaten by a girl, named Jinjie Gong?
I dont know ill have to look closer...
it does look a bit like him, and im sure i have seen this bit of video before... it may even be on DVD in our house some where...

(As of this post, my post count is one two three four?!)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2009, 09:00

Luv the new hair style

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 May 2009, 09:01

you mean, is that simon being beaten by a girl, named Jinjie Gong?
I dont know ill have to look closer...
it does look a bit like him, and im sure i have seen this bit of video before... it may even be on DVD in our house some where...

(As of this post, my post count is one two three four?!)
Yip I noticed that too

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 22 May 2009, 19:02

Hey I noticed last night at the rollers that we had as many girls as guys & I thought at present we actually have about 6 girls riding regularly, which is awesome!!

So I've asked Crafty about the possibility of a women's grade this year at Winter series? It could work really well or if the level of fitness/experience/speed is totally disproportionate could be a disaster but it would be great to see....

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 May 2009, 13:12

Hey I noticed last night at the rollers that we had as many girls as guys & I thought at present we actually have about 6 girls riding regularly, which is awesome!!

So I've asked Crafty about the possibility of a woman's grade this year at Winter series? It could work really well or if the level of fitness/experience/speed is totally disproportionate could be a disaster but it would be great to see....
Yeah that would be great as the girls that are at a better than us (eg: the Donna Mehan's, Katrina etc) would probably prefer to race in the higher grade with the guys anyway. I am not sure about the level of the grades, but Simon, would Amy, myself, Marion and Camilla be in the Newbies grade? Or are we better to go to Level 5 and struggle a bit more?

Anyway everyone - doing plenty of eating, and no cycling yet here in France, but hopefully after next week I will start getting some cycling in. As the French say - Avoir (although I know that is not how you say it), I will be back to make the 2nd RAW meet. Already bummed I am missing the one on the 19th.

timyone

Postby timyone » 25 May 2009, 07:41

Id say all our girls except maybe Orphic for her first few weeks, should be in the 5th grade.

orphic

Postby orphic » 25 May 2009, 10:23

So is there already a newbies grade (like below level 5) or is this what you're talking about setting up?

Just trying to guage how soon I would be able to participate in this, as it sounds like fun... But I am a complete newb :)

christian

Postby christian » 25 May 2009, 11:24

Last year towards the end they did have a newbie grade below div 5. If this is the case again this year then I'd say you will have to ride that division for your first week, then go up to div 5. Riding at DGV can be a bit daunting the first time you do it, its a lot steeper then Tempe and slippery if you don't keep your speed up.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 25 May 2009, 11:30

According to the RAW site this will be the same this year. So Orphic will start in the newbie grade and move to Div 5 once she feels ready.

For the rest of us, the grades Div1 thru Div4 should be the same as last year, with Div5 being the same new slower grade that was introduced sometime last year.

I'm thinking that it will be Div3 for me.

Artson

Postby Artson » 25 May 2009, 18:12

Mike has it correct
Div 1-4 will essentially be the same as last year
Div 5 is the new grade which I hoping will mostly the youngsters that struggled in Div 4 Last year.

Novice is not the slowest grade, it is however restricted in numbers (max 9 per field) and style of racing (simple)

othy

Postby othy » 25 May 2009, 18:21

Hmm.. No idea what division I should be racing this year.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 May 2009, 18:30

Mike has it correct
Div 1-4 will essentially be the same as last year
Div 5 is the new grade which I hoping will mostly the youngsters that struggled in Div 4 Last year.

Novice is not the slowest grade, it is however restricted in numbers (max 9 per field) and style of racing (simple)
Div 5 surely not just for youngsters? There are some of us Vets (like me) and girls at DHBC that have only ever raced at Dunc Gray track at last years New Years Series, and had some internal club races at Tempe (which cant really count seeing we only race each other and Tempe is no where near as steep. Anyway - I am guessing all of us should consider Lev 5 and get upgraded if required.

Victoria - definately you should go in the Novice grade. Dunc Gray is very steep and different from just riding around the track at Tempe, especially when you have other riders around you to contend with. Once you are comfortable during the series you can move up. Look forward to the first race regardless of what grade they slot us in.

See you guys soon

Artson

Postby Artson » 25 May 2009, 22:16

It is RAW Track policy, that you will never be told you have to ride a certain grade.
I have in the past advised what grade is best suited to your ability, but never insisted on anyone riding any Div.
Changing grades is also not a problem and you do not need special permission to do so. If you are sick, one week and want to ride down a grade, that's cool.

The above policy has been very successful and only significantly abused twice in the entire 7 year history.
Once by Stuart Campbell to win the “Ivan Colig Last Man Standing” (Time Blaster) and by Michael Docker to win the TWE wheel-race.
On both occasions the rider’s character was displayed by their actions.

The div 5 grade is open to anyone.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 May 2009, 03:32

It is RAW Track policy, that you will never be told you have to ride a certain grade.
I have in the past advised what grade is best suited to your ability, but never insisted on anyone riding any Div.
I think us DHBC girls will just be happy to be racing and getting the experience so I guess we can get advise from people on the night depending on the competition. For us it is not about winning but getting some experience and racing in.

Victoria from DHBC is probably the only one at this state that needs to go in Novice to start as she hasnt had any exposure to this track or competition in any form. Amy, Camilla and myself are similar so we will go in Level 5 or 4.

CAMILLA AND AMY....You better be training hard whilst I am away...NO SLACKING OFF, and no continual chatting with Mark!!! Miss all of you - see you at RAW.

Rainbow

Postby Rainbow » 26 May 2009, 07:37

Hey, I had a feeling I was being left out here, I'm racing this winter series too you know!

Now all you're going to see is my purple fury blazing past you, watch out!!!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 May 2009, 13:25

Don't worry Rainbow, they are just been jellous of your new wheels

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 26 May 2009, 16:27

Hey, I had a feeling I was being left out here, I'm racing this winter series too you know! Now all you're going to see is my purple fury blazing past you, watch out!!
Oops....Sorry Rainbow, I forgot you were doing the winter series too this year. I can't wait to see that purple blaze of glory. At the rate I am devouring french pastries, cheese and wine, you will only need to roll in order to overtake me.

Avoir

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 28 May 2009, 08:58

Hey Peeps, I'm the newby riding around on a tiny black felt. I had a very painful enounter with the top tube last week so I'm not fit for training at the moment. Still I hope to be back in time for the Omnium and then onto this newfangled newbies division.

Have fun without me in the mean time

timyone

Postby timyone » 28 May 2009, 09:06

Hey Peeps, I'm the newby riding around on a tiny black felt. I had a very painful enounter with the top tube last week so I'm not fit for training at the moment. Still I hope to be back in time for the Omnium and then onto this newfangled newbies division.

man not good to hear about the probs, but youll love the winter series once we get to it, good to have you riding with us :D (i love the look of your bike too)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 28 May 2009, 17:51

Hey New Guy, hmmm you are too good for this newbies division. But once you get to Dunc Gray one of the guys will slot you in the right division. Take care - see you in July.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 29 May 2009, 13:27

So by that logic I get to start in the newbie grade as well considering that ive never raced at winter series before? :P I like the sound of this.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 May 2009, 13:33

So by that logic I get to start in the newbie grade as well considering that ive never raced at winter series before? :P I like the sound of this.
You wish

I had to race Huw in the newbie grade, he got moved to Div3 where I got moved to Div4.

timyone

Postby timyone » 29 May 2009, 16:47

you can start there, but it wont help you out with points

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 31 May 2009, 15:49

I've never been on the boards before and besides I'm still recovering so this will definitely be Cat Newbie for me. Can't wait for the fun to start.

Return to “Track”