why do my headset bearings always get notchy?

Parts, bike builds, tools, tips and maintenance.
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Aug 2015, 12:15

It seems my Pinarello FP3 goes through a set of headset bearings every year. Is this normal? The current set are now notchy, with very noticeable detrimental effect on the steering.

I pay to get these changed and always check them out 4 weeks after the change to make sure they're at the correct torque. Is this a Pinarello issue as the headset is a bit weird.

Comments?

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 17 Aug 2015, 10:58

No doubt you've had lots of comments Stewart. I would also suggest this is unusual.
Here's what one supplier says:

DESCRIPTION
Pinarello is one of those manufacturers that use a proprietary integrated headset design in their high-end bike frames. We've never had any issues with them. In fact, we have trouble recalling anyone ever calling with a need for replacement bearings.

Maybe the torque setting is a misprint?

Jdubs

Postby Jdubs » 17 Aug 2015, 12:15

Stu, headsets usually isn't dependant on the brand of the frame. If you're referring to 1 1/8 threadless (not quill stem) then there's usually only two main sizes (not sure of the sizes) but one is a Shimano size the other is a Campy size.

My point: these parts are quite common to obtain, and it sounds as though the shop probably has fitted an inferior part. Or they put a Shimano one in when you need a Campy one.

It could be anything, mine is just a theory.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 18 Aug 2015, 10:20

Headset always has had Pinarello type bearings installed. Have been informed that Pinarello use "straight" instead of "tapered" bearings in the top of the steerer and that given my weight, it is likely that I will occasionally damage them hitting a hole of some other on the road.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 18 Aug 2015, 10:55

Sounds like a long shot Stewart. It used to be that the most common cause for this was the race being damaged (by the drifter), but these days it's all enclosed. Maybe the cylinder is slightly deformed (ie not perfectly circular)....

Elbo

Postby Elbo » 07 Nov 2015, 21:56

Late to the party, but, is it both bearings, or just the bottom one? The bottom will usually go before the top because it gets all the crap flicked up off the front wheel. Take a cover off, clean and repack to extend the bearing's life.

Return to “The Workshop”