Water in my fixie

Parts, bike builds, tools, tips and maintenance.
Eleri

Postby Eleri » 10 May 2015, 12:30

Water got in my house because of the hail. Got that covered.

More problematic water somehow got in my fixie. Coincidence? Probably - except there was weather involved somehow.

I do know there is water inside it because when I get it off the rack it sloshes. How do I get the water out? And how do I stop it getting in there in the first place?

NB: fixie is steel.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 10 May 2015, 15:44

A long time ago when waist hugging white jeans were in fashion there use to be a small hole under the bottom bracket for it to drain out.

As you have probably tried all the obvious solutions, I'm going to guess that the best option would be to create a hole in the frame to allow the water to run out but removing a component. Probably the easiest component to remove is the seat post, then position the bike so the seat post hole is the lowest point and let gravity do the rest for you

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 10 May 2015, 17:13

Waist hugging white jeans were never in fashion.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 10 May 2015, 17:50

Remove the fork? There may be drain holes near the rear wheels or at the bottom bracket.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 14 May 2015, 10:21

Remove the fork and.or seat post and turn it upsidedown to drain. Give the inside of the fame a spray with some fish oil (odorless if you prefer!).

I'm not sure if there is much you can do to stop water. Frames generally have drainage holes on the chainstays and bottom bracket to allow water to get out. Its a two-way-street. Water gets in, water gets out.

Return to “The Workshop”