Grease

Parts, bike builds, tools, tips and maintenance.
Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 20 Nov 2013, 15:43

Hello,

I have new pedals and know nothing about grease or mechanics for that matter. But I believe I need to grease the thread before putting new peddles on? Is that right? If so, what sort of grease would I use, and where would I get it from?

Thank you

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 21 Nov 2013, 07:12

Everything on a bike with a thread should be greased.
I just use automotive grease that you can pick up from any hardware - no need to pay more for the stuff at the bike shop.
Have a great ride,
Peter

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 21 Nov 2013, 09:02

Everything on a bike with a thread should be greased.
Only if you want to be able to undo it again ;)

+1 to any old auto grease

Hashtag

Postby Hashtag » 21 Nov 2013, 12:29

Thank you all :oops:

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 24 Nov 2013, 22:08

grease is grease and there's no reason to overcomplicate things. that said, some mechanics prefer to use difference greases for different parts of the bike. white grease on "set and forget" parts of the bike such has pedal spindles and bottom brackets. the purpose of grease here is to stop rust, creaks and reduce thread friction in installation/removal. Other greases are designed to improve improve friction on bearings and have different viscosity or thixotropic qualities. DuraAce grease is noticeably lighter that many other greases and designed primarily for traditional cup and cone hubs. Phil Wood grease is very very sticky and is renown for its water repelling qualities.

pflanagan

Postby pflanagan » 29 Nov 2013, 15:40

Thanks for the advice in this thread!
I read this subject with interest, having replaced pedals a few months ago (only I think using chain lube). I decided to take my pedals off last weekend and generously grease. One of them I could not get off despite an hour of trying.
I got the tradies at work to try & even an impact wrench, plenty of wd spray & a bent allen key bit later could not shift it. The next suggestion was to pull out the oxy gear & heat it to break the seal -offer declined. (by way of explanation I work with the guys that maintain high voltage underground electricity cables. They like heating & joining metal.)

Cycling projects at Ashbury got it off easily with the correct pedal wrench.

Return to “The Workshop”