Lithgow Triathlon

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Jono

Postby Jono » 08 Dec 2008, 12:30

Hi Everyone,

A few weeks ago I was in Lithgow catching up with family and friends as well as acting as chauffer/tour guide for a cousin and her friend who came out from Scotland. I noticed an ad for a triathlon at the local pool. It had 3 divisions, The Try a Tri for the kiddies, The preliminary for those like myself who wanted to have a go and The main event.
The distances were:
TRY A TRI: Swim 50 metres, cycle one kilometre and run 500 metres.

PRELIMINARY: Swim 200 metres, cycle 10 kilometres and run three kilometres.

MAIN EVENT: Swim 350 metres, cycle 20 kilometres and run five kilometres.
Entry was $15
I put signed up for the preliminary because I have never done a Triathlon in my life and am not a runner and my swimming is dodgey.
I did do some training - swimming and some cycling but not much running.
I rode my Shogun Katana which I had serviced and ready for the event. I took my running shoes, a towel and a bottle of sunscreen in a bag I got from a vist to Victoria Park Pool.
The weather was overcast much like the weather for the Gong Ride. It was just right for exercise. When I got to the Lithgow War Memorial Olympic Pool I found that I also had to pay for entry to the pool bringing the grand total for the event to $19.40. I got allocated number 209.
I put my bike onto the rack in the transition area and got talking to the other competitors. It turned out that there was a largish contingent from Bathurst who were part of an official triathlon club. They turned up with road bikes (some very good bikes including a Malvern Star Oppy) with aero bars and wore triathlon suits from Netti.
Much to my surprise the Preliminary was the first event to be held. My competition turned out to be a mixed group of high school kids, old dears and some people much like myself who just wanted to give it ago.
The preliminary would have had the Triathletes who train in Centennial Park rolling around laughing. On the swim leg my lack of swimming prowess stood out as it was a close race between myself and the old dears (some of whom resorted to backstroke to finish the swim leg). Fortunately I got myself together for the bike leg and got underway and on the road as they were fumbling with helmets and gloves.
While on the ride I was able to peg back some of my competition. Mainly with a young kid and a guy both of whom were on MTBs. I did get lapped by a young guy from the Bathurst Triathon though.
As I stated I am not a runner and was running in a cheap pair of runners. I got peged back by one of the MTB riders and my run became a cross between a Cliff Young shuffle & a power walk. I finished the run leg with a light run to the finish and was surprised to find that I did the event in little over 58 minutes and was not last!
After sorting myself out I watched The Main Event, which predictably was won by Bathurst Triathlon club members ( In the Men's event their competitor lead every stage!) who showed us amateurs how it is done (although the locals on hybrids & MTB's kept them honest).
The bikes used during the triathlon were quite good and it was good friendly competition. A lot of fun was had (which was the main reason from going in it).

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Dec 2008, 12:51

As I stated I am not a runner and was running in a cheap pair of runners.
It's not about Nike, it's all about the legs. :wink:

Thanks for the report and it sounded really interesting. Did Lithgow have their own CC or Tri club?

timyone

Postby timyone » 08 Dec 2008, 12:58

man sounds heaps nice, if it wasnt for the fact that i can only run 100 metres, id love to try some thing small and muck aroundy!

Jono

Postby Jono » 08 Dec 2008, 13:22

Lithgow doesn't have a Tri Club or a cycling club but is home to the Central Tablelands MTB club. That is based around a bike shop and some of them took part. The shop sponsored the event as did a motor parts shop that sells bikes and bike parts. One of the guys from the bike shop was officiating for the Try a Tri and the Preliminary and then competed in the Main event (he did it on an MTB). The locals in the crowd cheared for him.
The Bathurst Wallabys Triathlon club took it deadly seriously. They event had a guy who I assume was an official or a coach with a video camera filming their transitions and their finishes. When I chatted to him he pointed out one of their female members and said "See her over there, her husband is in Perth for an Ironman!" They have similar races in Bathurst.

Return to “Conversation”