Stolen bike :-(

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 Nov 2008, 10:04

Grrr! My road bicycle, a Trek 1.2, was stolen today (November 18) from the bike rack on Trafalgar St Stanmore, outside Stanmore station.
The proprietor of the take away food store says an "old man" approached him and said he had lost the key to the bike. He then produced a hammer and smashed the lock and stole the bike.
I park there a fair bit and have long felt it is safe, given the shops and foot traffic from the station. I'd also been comforted by the regular presence of an Apollo road bike with TT bars. If that can stay there all day, I reckoned, I should be safe.
Anyway ... the police have been informed and all that.
In the meantime, if you see or are offered to buy a Trek 1.2, do drop me a line to simon at jargonmaster dotcom.
The bike has a 61cm frame and is black with red trim.The front tyre is a red Maxxis. The rear is a grey Bontrager. There's a black Bontrager bidon cage.

Toff

Postby Toff » 18 Nov 2008, 10:23

Bloody disgusting, Simon. I'll be on the lookout for the bike.

I know all about that Apollo road bike too. I was beginning to wonder if it was abandoned. It's there all hours of the day and night. I'm surprised no-one has taken it too.

I wonder if the thief headed over there with the intention of going for the other bike, but saw a better opportunity when he saw yours?

Anyway, would also suggest heading over to local bike shops and pawn shops to warn them to lookout for it.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Nov 2008, 10:44

Very sorry to hear it. I am surprised to know that there are more thieves than just teenagers/junkies, and so brazen.

BTW, what kind of lock did you use?

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 Nov 2008, 10:51

I was using a combination lock, steel cable about 5mm.
The thief social engineered onlookers by saying he had lost the key, so he could have brought out a jackhammer to hack off any lock known to humanity once he had fooled them ...
Even so, my next bike will have one almighty MOFO of a lock

Toff

Postby Toff » 18 Nov 2008, 10:56

I have just such a lock. Cable is thicker than an inflated 700C inner tube. I'm too afraid to use it, in case I really do lose the key!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 18 Nov 2008, 11:15

I understand that ABUS has quite a good reputation in terms of security and is available through Cheeky Monkey in Nth Newtown. After resurrecting my early 90s GT, I found out that the old U-lock I had wasn't big enough encase the rear wheel rim with the frame. So will be doing some lock hunting in due course.

Edit: Cheeky only do Kryptonites these days. King St Cyclery does Abus supposedly.
Last edited by weiyun on 18 Nov 2008, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

Toff

Postby Toff » 18 Nov 2008, 11:27

Just had a look at my lock. No hammer is going to get it open. You'd need a huge hacksaw, or an oxy torch, and an hour or two!

Also, looks like my 17-month old has taken the key as a plaything, so until that turns up, it's useless. Will post a pic tonight.

Frank.S87

Postby Frank.S87 » 18 Nov 2008, 12:18

sorry to hear
"old man" huh?. dam who would've thought
maybe his a pro.
but good luck to you maybe it might just pop up somewhere if that his line of business

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 18 Nov 2008, 12:34

Sorry again Simon.

There are definately pro-theifs and missible junkies out there. Recently I parked my yellow fixie at the bottom of the steps at Milsons Point with flyers for the bike film festival. I took a seat in the park and watched the bike for a while to see if cyclists would take the fylers from the tray I'd attached to the bike. Anyway, one guy rode past. Stoped. Looked at the bike. Didn't get a flyer... then he walked away then walked back looked at the bike again. He walked up the steps, looked back twice at the bike. I thought this guy was doggy and contenplating stealing it, but I had a D-lock and a cable lock on it which was pretty tough.

Also, I used to live near Thomas St in ashfield. There was one house regulalrly passed with a lot of seedie characters in it. Every time there was a rubbish clolection I found that the front of the house was full of dumped bikes with stripped frames. On two occasions I rode up the street and was offered to buy bike parts. I think these guys were addicts and bike theifs.

Damian

Postby Damian » 18 Nov 2008, 15:59

If anyone wants to kick in a few bucks to help Simon replace his bike, there is a fund going at Sydney Cyclist.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 18 Nov 2008, 18:05

That sucks

All you can do is learn from the experience and hope the b*****d is caught.

In addition to replace the Trek, why don't you pick up a crap bike to leave at the train station.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 Nov 2008, 18:27

The weird thing is, I hardly ever take the Trek out for anything other than training rides and of late have even left it at home for commutes because it just feels a bit fragile in traffic. But I've spent so much time off it lately that I could not resist a whizz to the station. Never again.
S.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 18 Nov 2008, 20:10

That absolutely sucks.....

I've read many forums before and often when word gets out, the bike is recovered. So keep trying Simon.

I'm not sure if everyone is aware of common household contents insurance which can provide cheap insurance against theft.

Under many policies you can specify the bike as a personal item, and as long as it is locked up, you are covered against theft. Usually it will cost about $50 per $2,000 value of bike.

I know NRMA and Westpac insurance offer these coverage.

Doing some maths I worked out that if the bike was pinched within 20 years at $50 insurance, I would be ahead, albeit impacted through the nasty experience of theft. So its relatively good value for money - and the type of insurance we really do not wish to cash in on.

Anyway, food for thought for those who have home and contents insurance and were not aware of these coverage options.

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 Nov 2008, 22:03

ripped :(

Toff

Postby Toff » 20 Nov 2008, 10:58

Rode past Stanmore station this morning and noticed the Apollo wasn't there either. Wonder what that means?

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 22 Nov 2008, 09:09

Good news! :D :D The bike turned up at an LBS that is very well known to all DHBC members. They handed it over as soon as I showed the serial number and said it was sold to them.
Now to get well, lighter and fit !

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 22 Nov 2008, 09:23

Great!!!!!

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Nov 2008, 15:24

Hi simon, I'm very happy to hear you've got your bike back. It does however concern me that a well known inner west LBS accepted the bike for cash/trade-in or whatever. People on SydneyCyclist have been demanding the name of the LBS. Who is winning when a $1200 bike is stolen, sold to an LBS for $300, then resold for $800? I may be jumping to conclusions but perhaps someone needs to have a serious word with this LBS for their own sake.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 22 Nov 2008, 15:58

Amazing! Very glad to hear the bike is back to the rightful owner.

Yes, it would be good to know the particular LBS. Yet again, it may have done it in good faith and plastering its name on the net may not be fair.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 23 Nov 2008, 12:13

I think that the solution is a simple one.

The shop simply needs to ensure that they record the information of the person who sold the bike. If it is legit, no issue, if it is a dodgy sale, then at least those details can be handed over the to relevant authorities.

As much as I would like to see some sort of retribution to the bike shop owner, I don't think that their details should be posted.

James

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Nov 2008, 12:40

To sell a second-hand bike, a bike shop must have a "second hand dealers license". A bike is included under the list of second had dealer items i.e.: "Sporting and recreational goods"
See: https://www.ebiz.police.nsw.gov.au/webl ... AQsV01.pdf
If the bike shop has this, then it is fine for the shop to buy and sell second hand bikes as all the details will be kept of the person who sold the bike. Just like a pawn broker, this keeps the system more honest and discourages theft.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2008, 13:10

I still remember checking out a bike in a Newtown pawn shop earlier this year where I found the SN under the BB was grinded off. We exited that shop very soon after. Those pawn brokers are dodgy irrespective of licensing.

timyone

Postby timyone » 23 Nov 2008, 18:14

whats LBS? local bike shop?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 23 Nov 2008, 18:28

whats LBS? local bike shop?
Correct. :D

Or Local Bike Store.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 24 Nov 2008, 09:53

It is indeed sad that an LBS so well-known to DHBC was involved in this incident.
I agree that helping this and other LBSes to acquire second hand dealer status is one obvious way to make such incidents less common, or at least removing incentives for thieves by taking away a ready after-market.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 28 Nov 2008, 08:57

For what it is worth, a mate has asked me to post http://tinyurl.com/6ypfqz this link to another pinched bike. Maybe we can help.

Return to “Conversation”