Bicycle NSW vs Cycling Australia

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Philip

Postby Philip » 21 Aug 2012, 10:53

Before joining DHBC I was a member of bicycle NSW. My membership to BNSW is now up. I am now a member of Cycling Australia. Is there any benefit to being a member of both or do I just let BNSW lapse.

Thanks for any advice.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Aug 2012, 16:49

Bicycle NSW (BNSW) is supposedly an advocacy group for cyclists and is not associated with Cycling Australia or Cycling NSW. I used to be a member, mostly for the 3rd party and personal insurance offered but have let my membership lapse this year. My reasons for not renewing are personal and linked to what I see as a failure by BNSW to actually do what they say they will do i.e. advocate for cyclists rights.

I'm sure others will feel differently ...

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 21 Aug 2012, 22:30

I can echo Stuart's sentiments here. I let my BNSW membership lapse as well - mostly around what I perceived to be a lack of engagement with members and not doing enough on advocacy. And stopping the magazine was another, albeit minor factor in my decision.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 21 Aug 2012, 22:57

I am a member of both. I recall an old boss once told me that I can never have too much insurance or education. I got one of them right at least.......

Philip

Postby Philip » 23 Aug 2012, 08:23

Thanks Guys,

I'll probably re join just for the insurance.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Aug 2012, 09:17

Whats the cost?

Philip

Postby Philip » 23 Aug 2012, 09:48

$104 for an individual or $149 for a family. I just signed up the family as my 5 year old is now enjoying the bike too.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 23 Aug 2012, 22:35

Bicycle NSW (BNSW) is supposedly an advocacy group for cyclists...
Yes, but this was only one small part. I do acknowledge that there are some people who wanted the advocacy piece to be a major part. But BNSW has never pretended to be big on advocacy - and has deliberately avoided being seen only as an advocacy group. Whilst not a current member, I support their approach. Here is the Mission Statement.

Creating a better environment for cycling

We are a member-based association and our mission is simple:

To promote, advocate, and support cycling in all its forms as an environmentally sustainable and healthy form of transport, recreation and tourism through the engagement of government, industry and the community at all levels.

The objects of the Association are:
to conserve and protect the natural environment through the promotion of cycling as an environmentally beneficial means of transport
to promote the use of the Bicycle as a key element of ecologically sustainable development practices
to promote Bicycle transport as a means of reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving air and water quality, reducing non-renewable energy consumption and improving land use
to promote the use of the Bicycle as a healthy, environmentally sustainable means of recreation and tourism and enhancing accessibility and personal mobility in the community
to promote education of cyclists and other road users in the interest of road safety
to advocate enforcement of the rights and obligations of cyclists
to advocate engineering and equipment appropriate for the use of cyclists

Why do we do this?

to promote bike riding as a sustainable means of transport

to protect the environment

to lead people to a healthier, more active lifestyle

oh, and because riding a bike’s good fun…

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 23 Aug 2012, 22:47

BNSW Environmental Trust was set up by BNSW - I am on that Management Committee, but not a member of BNSW. It is a tax deductable charity, and here is a list of some iniatiative that donated funds have gone towards. Whilst quite diverse, some of the activities have been to fund research into improving cycling infrastructure. You can donate to the Trust via the following link which contains details of the projects.

http://www.environmentaltrust.org.au/co ... ntal-trust

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 25 Aug 2012, 17:00

I'm sure many of the people at BNSW are well meaning but I think they fall short in two areas of concern to me: support for 'sports' cyclists and general cycling advocacy. Maybe too much empire building and not wanting to offend the government or sections of the media.

The thing that really got me thinking about what BNSW really stood for was this article in Australian Cyclist Jan-Feb 2012 (delivered as part of my membership and published by BNSW) called Manners Please! basically supporting the implementation of speed 'dips', pedestrian crossings and a lowered speed limit at Centennial Park, written by Muriel Reddy, an ex-Age journo from Melbourne who clearly had experienced the park first hand; well, maybe not. The article in question was certainly anti-sports cycling (e.g. continually referring to 'packs' instead of 'bunches', a favourite of commercial TV & shock jock radio) and laid the blame for incidents in the park on 'hoon' cyclists, not cars, road design or location of children's facilities. That tore it for me.

Return to “Conversation”