Junior's Carnival - Saturday 30th November (CNSW)

For all things Velodrome
User avatar
JoTheBuilder
Posts: 1500
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 15:32

Postby JoTheBuilder » 24 Sep 2013, 11:07

Hi All,

We have agreed with Cycling New South Wales that we will host a Junior's Track Carnival on Saturday 30th November open to all clubs.

As you can imagine, there will be a fair bit of planning involved. We will put together the programme, in conjunction with CNSW, and will have to provide commissaires (though they will provide the head commissaire).

We have a committee meeting next week on Thursday 3rd October at 730pm. Can anyone who is interested in getting involved please contact me here, or at dulwichhillbc@gmail.com, so I can invite you to the committee meeting to begin discussions.

Following the meeting, and confirmation from CNSW, I will put up more details. No doubt we will need plenty of volunteers for various activities on the day.

Regards,

Jo

jcaley
Posts: 461
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 07:14

Postby jcaley » 24 Sep 2013, 19:53

Hi Jo,
I am interested in helping
John Caley

User avatar
utopia
Posts: 265
Joined: 18 Nov 2010, 11:24
Location: Canterbury

Postby utopia » 26 Sep 2013, 10:03

Sign me up!

User avatar
Dougie
Posts: 754
Joined: 11 Jan 2008, 16:39
Location: Dulwich Hill

Postby Dougie » 26 Sep 2013, 10:33

I will help

RR-M
Posts: 25
Joined: 27 Aug 2012, 11:20

Postby RR-M » 28 Sep 2013, 01:28

I would like to be involved Jo.
(Alan Miller - Ruby's dad)

Andrew_Harvey
Posts: 61
Joined: 15 May 2013, 14:14

Postby Andrew_Harvey » 29 Sep 2013, 20:19

I can help too

User avatar
James Rogers
Posts: 457
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 09:58
Location: Newtown

Postby James Rogers » 02 Oct 2013, 13:50

Me too!

james

User avatar
JoTheBuilder
Posts: 1500
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 15:32

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Oct 2013, 15:25

Hi Guys,

Just need to know who is coming tonight so I can organize enough pizza (approx $10 a head). Can you please email me at dulwichhillbc@gmail.com. If you don't know the address I can reply to the email.

Please do so by 630pm tonight. Meeting is at 730.

Jo

User avatar
JoTheBuilder
Posts: 1500
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 15:32

Postby JoTheBuilder » 03 Oct 2013, 21:35

A very productive meeting tonight...

Subject to Cycling NSW approval, our plans are as follows:
Date: 30th November 2013
Time: 3pm (warmup to commence at 2pm)
Races: List to be developed by James Rogers

Our current list of actions is as follows:
1. First Aid to be organised: John Caley to organise;
2. BBQ: JS to approach Dougie and Stuart;
3. Commissaires: Arthur Donnelly and Christian Lees. Cycling NSW to advise;
4. Race officials: Cycling NSW to advise;
5. PA: Ian Carswell has volunteered PA equipment;
6. MC: Dougie;
7. Races: James Rogers to list;
8. Track: Alex Chubb to book track.
9. Trophy Organisation: TBA

We still need a volunteer to help organise trophies - Andrew or Alan? And the BBQ might need some assistance if Stuart is unavailable.

If there is anything else required, or if anyone else has any suggestions, please let me know.

Jo

timyone
Posts: 4380
Joined: 22 Nov 2006, 20:29

Postby timyone » 04 Oct 2013, 19:27

I don't know that far ahead on my roster and will be a new ward so can't volunteer

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 17 Nov 2013, 16:35

Still looking for volunteers. Thanks to those who have already put their hands up.

Also, we would love to borrow a couple of marquees or shade tents if anyone has some.

User avatar
JoTheBuilder
Posts: 1500
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 15:32

Postby JoTheBuilder » 17 Nov 2013, 17:19

I have a small one you're welcome to...

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 18 Nov 2013, 20:10

People - we need a couple of photographers for the afternoon please. I know there's a few of you out there.

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 25 Nov 2013, 06:24

Numbers are looking good - definitely over 30 entrants now and probably quite a few more when we get the list from CNSW later today.

We had a planning meeting last night and still need to borrow:
- at least one stopwatch (not the windup one I have from my youth, an electronic one)
- Marquees or shade tents
- a few volunteers. We are allocating tasks now.

Pls email me (address in the newsletter), or PM here or leave a note below.

timothy_clifford
Posts: 270
Joined: 13 Feb 2012, 19:04

Postby timothy_clifford » 25 Nov 2013, 08:48


User avatar
JoTheBuilder
Posts: 1500
Joined: 19 Feb 2011, 15:32

Postby JoTheBuilder » 25 Nov 2013, 09:01

I have a small shade tent. Will ensure I bring it down.

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 25 Nov 2013, 09:51


User avatar
Karzie
Posts: 709
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 17:14

Postby Karzie » 25 Nov 2013, 17:27

You can get them

User avatar
James Rogers
Posts: 457
Joined: 13 Nov 2011, 09:58
Location: Newtown

Postby James Rogers » 29 Nov 2013, 08:25

Looking for a volunteer to help with timing for the u15-17 part of the carnival tomorrow (from 6-8pm). No experience needed, and you just will be required to use a stop watch (there will also be a few people timing with you).

User avatar
Robert
Posts: 50
Joined: 02 Aug 2013, 22:38

Postby Robert » 29 Nov 2013, 11:56


jcaley
Posts: 461
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 07:14

Postby jcaley » 29 Nov 2013, 12:28

ready to start from 6pm

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 30 Nov 2013, 09:12

Weather report looking positive. James says the track is dry and the forecast is for fine weather in the afternoon and it will be about 20 degrees.

There's going to be a headwind on the front straight.

See you all there!

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 01 Dec 2013, 10:28

Thanks to everyone who helped or turned up to watch yesterday. The Junior Carnival was well attended, it turned into a gorgeous afternoon and our event was well planned. All round it was a great day and a real credit to the Club.

A full report will no doubt be provided and results and all that stuff.

In the meantime, we are having a debrief asap to document what went well, what was OK and what we learned along the way. We want to do this again and so it's worth documenting how to run a Carnival so that we can replicate and improve.

To that end - if you were there yesterday and want to give feedback, please do it here. While the kudos will be nice, the bits that we can improve will be where the real learning is so don't be afraid to provide those suggestions. We want to hear them!


PS: we got the nicest email from one of the parents last night. It thanked us for being inclusive and having a well-run event. That makes it all worthwhile. :-)

User avatar
Camilla
Posts: 667
Joined: 03 Feb 2008, 13:44

Postby Camilla » 01 Dec 2013, 23:12

It was a really great day. I think it can only grow and grow from here. Really nice to see people coming from all over the state, plus our own DHBC members coming down. I was actually struck by how many members popped by (& volunteered all day) who don't actually have kids of their own and just wanted to be there to support the champions of the future!

Congratulations to the organizing committee - a special mention to Colin, James, Keith & Eleri -and everyone who helped out on the day.

Onwards & upwards!

User avatar
utopia
Posts: 265
Joined: 18 Nov 2010, 11:24
Location: Canterbury

Postby utopia » 02 Dec 2013, 08:39

From my perspective, the highlights were Jamie/Dougie keeping the flow of the event ticking along smoothly and James starting off every race.

Suggested improvements (only because it's being asked for):
a/ removal of confusion: clear signage to indicate the location of the sign on desk - there were some people getting to the infield told they needed to get back to the stands (via the tunnel) to register.
b/ removal of confusion: establish early if roll out checks were going to be done, or not


personal peeve
c/ removal of confusion: establish early which timings were needed for each race type (instead of making it up on the spot)

Thanks and Kudos to James, organising committee and the army of volunteers.

User avatar
Karzie
Posts: 709
Joined: 03 Nov 2008, 17:14

Postby Karzie » 02 Dec 2013, 09:35

Some photos of the day can be

jcaley
Posts: 461
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 07:14

Postby jcaley » 02 Dec 2013, 14:23

Four folding chairs of various styles were left on the infield after the carnival
They can be collected tonight between 7 and 8.15pm or Wednesday 5.30pm - 8.15pm

User avatar
colin
Posts: 184
Joined: 21 Oct 2008, 08:42
Location: Leichhardt

Postby colin » 04 Dec 2013, 07:47

Hi All,

The event went really well, thanks to everyone that helped out. it's great to see the smiling juniors buggers after their race but on the biggest high.

My only concern is power to the infield. we need to find out how to turn it on and get council to repair the broken outlets before the 28th

Colin

Jenny and Bob W
Posts: 28
Joined: 25 Oct 2012, 11:59

Postby Jenny and Bob W » 04 Dec 2013, 21:42

6 DHBC drink bottles were sold, maybe Christian would like that $60 separated from canteen takings. Jen

User avatar
Eleri
Posts: 1753
Joined: 31 Dec 2009, 08:43
Location: Erskineville

Postby Eleri » 09 Dec 2013, 20:52

Thanks for all the feedback everyone. The organising committee had a proper debrief, followed up on some tasks, are preparing a race manual and asked the DHBC committee to consider doing this more regularly.

Since then I have contacted CNSW and asked for track racing at Tempe to be added to the calendar. More to come!


Return to “Track”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests