ANZAC day Track Carnival

For all things Velodrome
Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 03 Apr 2013, 09:00

Yew!
looking at the entry list 1/3 of all entries are DHBC! we have a strong showing in the Jr's and only a handful of Sr's.
I recon Bowral is an awesome track, and the event is a great day out of sydney. Just sucks most of us will have to work the next day...

and for $15. Bargain. Lets keep getting entries in!

ANZAC Day Track Carnival
Event Date: Thursday 25 April 2013
Venue: Bowral - Eridge Park off Elizabeth Street
Closing Date: Sunday 21st April 2013
Start Time: 2:30pm
Categories: U9, U11, JB13, JG13, JM15, JW15, JM17, JW15, JM19, JW19, U/23, Elite Men, Elite Women, Men Masters, Women Masters

EricM

Postby EricM » 03 Apr 2013, 16:51

Awesome, I've entered!

rhys

Postby rhys » 05 Apr 2013, 08:40

Hopefully it's less windy for you than last year.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 16 Apr 2013, 10:56

ya, i was at the last carnival there and it was beautiful. i think (and hope) that was just an exceptionally rough day to keep us in the ANZAC spirit.

BTW just looked at entries and there has been an explosion of DHBC Jr's entered. woohoo!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 22 Apr 2013, 11:06

Forecast for Thursday

Mostly sunny. Winds west to southwesterly and light. Min 6C Max 18C

so be prepared to bundle up

bro

Postby bro » 22 Apr 2013, 15:41

I'm going!!!

rhys

Postby rhys » 25 Apr 2013, 19:26

So...how'd it go?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 26 Apr 2013, 08:22

it was a sea of red! we had contenders in almost every division.
actually we didn't have and C grade riders. all the Sr's have been training well and rode both A and B with results all round.

I was sick, i went from feeling good in the first race, to dieing in the last. but still came out with some beer money! woot.

then the Jr's did very well. The stand out performance was Sarah Harvey doing a clean sweep of the day, at her first carnival. All the girls worked very well together, and there were a lot of tactics between them and the other racers. then the boys... i think i need to work with them. But there was excellent racing in between random breakaways. it's was all good learning.

fund day out

utopia

Postby utopia » 26 Apr 2013, 14:54

It was a great carnival. Both Francis and Xavier enjoyed it.
Thanks to Colin and Lizanne for prompting about it and it was great to see the turnout of so many DHBC reds and the encouragement.
It started to get really cold at the end of it and with Xaviers teeth chattering like a machinegun we didn't stick around for the last of the senior races.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 26 Apr 2013, 18:04

Well, with around twenty minutes familiarisation on Wednesday night I figured I was more than amply qualified to ride in a track race the following day! How bad could it be? It's just like riding a bike. Colin and Lizanne both egged me on, others gave what I suppose was their own version of encouragement.Since William was riding in the under 11's, D Grade needed a family representative also.

Bowral is a beautiful track. It's recent resurfacing and renovation have done SHCC proud. The event was well supported with 88 riders across all grades and of those 22 from DHBC. We set up at the edge of the bank looking into the infield. The day was a very pleasant 18 degrees accompanied by a slight headwind on the finishing straight. We were all very distinctive in out red colours. It was also super to see the DHBC Racing kit out in competition.

The commissaire called for juniors to warm up so I sorted out William. Kit on, sign on, dossard pinned, bike ready - takes an amazing amount of time. So much that he completely missed his warm up on the track! So back to the car and put him and his bike on the trainer. Once done I started with kit on etc. by then the senior warm up was in full flight. I wheeled the bike to the gate and stood there frozen to the spot. To my well practiced eye it looked like there was approximately 754 giants speeding around the track 10 abreast at 90 kilometres per hour. I was seriously ready to turn around at that point and put bike back in the car. Terrified would be an understatement. However Colin looked me in the eye and told me come out with him. I channeled my inner ANZAC and charged headlong into no man's land.

I headed for the sprinter's lane, possibly cutting off a number of very small under 13's, collateral damage I am afraid. All is fair in love and war. I started whipping around the track in glee. I was then caught in the merciless crossfire of the charge of valiant men of the light horse. As fast as it began I was alone again. Time was called on the warm up. The battle was about to begin and the war was far from over.All the competitors we called to the infield for a briefing and a photo opportunity followed by a very nice nod to our fallen with a minute's silence.

William launched into his first race and showed his old man how it was done. Unlike his father William placed around fourth in most of his races. I however enjoyed stone, motherless last in my events. Leading from the back was fine. The handicap race was terrifying. I had 75M on the field and held them off to the bank after the start line. Then it was like being caught in cyclone. Fortunately my Knicks are dark and no one could see how frightened I was.

All in all a great day. To all the mums and dads on the side line cheering on their kids, it's time for you to hit the track also! I am hooked. See you Wednesday.

timyone

Postby timyone » 26 Apr 2013, 18:17

Great results people, and love the reports dougie!

timothy_clifford

Postby timothy_clifford » 27 Apr 2013, 09:13

From Cycling NSW newsletter: a lot of red.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Apr 2013, 09:43

Wonderful sea of red, great to see that DHBC contributed one quarter of the participants and that you all did really well on the day.

Thanks to everyone who organised and turned up. It's just so wonderful to see the juniors out and racing in numbers.

Return to “Track”