NSW Clubs Team Time Trial July 20th

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Apr 2013, 09:49

OK. So I moved some posts and it didn't really work that well. Anyway, lets go.

Just to start a new thread for general news, views and team creation outside of the Vintage Bikes section.

Info here >> http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13146.htm

I'l be part of a masters men's team with Dougie, Mark Hales and Adam. We will be trying to beat the women's masters team time (or at least we'll get close). Hopefully.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 19 Apr 2013, 11:36

I believe the Masters team is now Jo, Eleri, Pia and myself due to injuries... I don't think the boys have a hope. Let the sledging begin.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 19 Apr 2013, 17:47

I believe the Masters team is now Jo, Eleri, Pia and myself due to injuries... I don't think the boys have a hope. Let the sledging begin.
Forget the thoughts of a Gold Medal or Podium finish, the NsW Time Trial is an opportunity for some friendly inter-club competition so let the Games and challenges begin.

In the first year the Woman's Masters Team entered a squad, we wern't in the best form. Between Camilla spewing out of the car on arrival, Michele cable tying her wheel to her forks when affixing the chip, and the girls riding over the FINISH line in warm up - we admittedly were not a professional unit. Victory was snatched from our jaws by a measly 15 seconds by the Dulwich Hill Dawdlers. We heard there were banned substances hidden in their fake moustaches which they inhaled regularly. We certainly learned from our mistakes. In year 2 - we invested in time trial clip on bars, we even trained together once, and we had a team song to sing in our minds whilst suffering. Unfortunately none of the other 3 girls knew the words to "What doesn't Kill you makes you stronger" by Kelly Clarkson which cost us dearly. We came 2nd or 3rd last that year, but did we care? NO ! - as we were victorious to the Dawdlers by a decent margin, and anyone would have thought we had won the world title.

This year we have some new challengers in the form of the "The Carbon Cranks" consisting of Stuart, Mark Hales, Dougie and Adam. Their plan from what I have heard is letting Mark do all the work at the front - well good luck boys !! This year the girls are going to be a tight unit, stronger, more determined and we WILL learn the words to Kelly Clarkson. Unfortunately Michele and Camilla are unavailable this year, so we have recruited 2 new young guns in the form of Pia and Jo Skinner who will help the 2 more mature chicks (Eleri and Me) bring the title home again . So if there are any other challengers out there - BRING THEM ON. However, due to the obvious advantage between Woman and Men, we have had to put down a few rules of engagement, with the men having to either have, a) Non carbon bikes and no Aero bars OR b) a combined age no less than - whatever the Carbon Cranks are, and no hematocrit levels higher than 43. I also reserve the right to make up or add new rules as we go. This doesn't stop other Teams from arranging challenges between themselves. So all I can say is BRING IT!!! Us chicks will be ready!!! Any suggestions for a Team name for the Girls is welcome. BE NICE!

Good luck every one - be great to have a heap of DHBC jerseys on show! It's a really fun race regardless of the outcome.

To the Girls - the Carbon Cranks are arranging a secret meeting already (albeit for drinks not actual training). We better start making plans. Life in my house will be unbearable if Stuart's Team actually beats us! I'm open to peptides or any other advantage we can muster, but we do have the secret weapon of Eleri and the new Baum this year!!! Our goal is to face those boys at the finish line and say "You've been chicked!!"

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 20 Apr 2013, 10:52

BTW, is it better to enter the 150+ group? Has that got slower teams than the 'normal' masters? I'd hate to come stone motherless last :-)

The rules say that the three youngest riders ages must add to 150 years or older. I am 44. That does put some pressure on you and mark to age prematurely.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Apr 2013, 10:55

No. I don't own a vintage bike of any sort. I'll be riding my carbon Pinny with carbon cranks - we're an all carbon masters team ... but the name was suggested by Michele P at last years event; it may be a play on words.

BTW, is it better to enter the 150+ group? Has that got slower teams than the 'normal' masters? I'd hate to come stone motherless last :-)
You just have to worry about beating the girls Stuey. Declining that last few glasses of red might also help

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 20 Apr 2013, 11:21

The rules say that the three youngest riders ages must add to 150 years or older. I am 44. That does put some pressure on you and mark to age prematurely.
OK. Well that's sorted then :-)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Apr 2013, 11:30

I'm looking at the 150plus category, I think we may have enough riders for 2 teams.

Age is at 31dec 2013. so Dougue you might make 150+ team, depends on the age of the others

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Apr 2013, 18:54

Don't be fooled - the 150+ masters are any easier, they are still hard core anyway. They all seem to have reached that part of life where cost is no option and they have plenty of time to train and afford the best kit. There were many teams against the Dawdlers that had the full kit, with sperm helmet, skinsuits, disk wheels, TT bikes.

paul

Postby paul » 21 Apr 2013, 11:06

Mike - I be keen to be in a 150+ team.
Paul

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 21 Apr 2013, 13:51

Don't be fooled - the 150+ masters are any easier, they are still hard core anyway. They all seem to have reached that part of life where cost is no option and they have plenty of time to train and afford the best kit. There were many teams against the Dawdlers that had the full kit, with sperm helmet, skinsuits, disk wheels, TT bikes.
I seem to remember that the 150+ in most years has beaten the open master's time and one year at Calga it was like second or third in overall times. Mostly Type A personalities made redundant too early in their career, this is their revenge on us all.

The position of 'stone motherless last' is reserved for the Dawdlers (or the girl team!!), Stuart. That is our role. You won't come last we can guarantee it. In fact, they dropped me last year after I used up all my energy getting them into position, so I can claim to be 'last of the last'. I waited around for my prize, but apparently that position is not respected in cyling as it is in other more enlightened sports!

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 21 Apr 2013, 16:38

Why are The Dawdlers known as the Girl Team?!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 21 Apr 2013, 16:59

Why are The Dawdlers known as the Girl Team?!
Hahaha.... am I still beating my wife?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Apr 2013, 17:05

Just to start a new thread for general news, views and team creation outside of the Vintage Bikes section.

Info here >> http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13146.htm

I'l be part of a masters men's team with Dougie, Mark Hales and Adam. We will be trying to beat the women's masters team time (or at least we'll get close). Hopefully.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Apr 2013, 19:57

Thanks Stuart

Paul, great to have you onboard for a 150 team.

Doing the maths, it looks like the 150 teams could take riders down to 46, as at 31 Dec 2013. However it does depend on who's interested and their age.

No reason why we can't field teams in the under 150, same fun, so if your interested and you were born after the invention of the horseless carriage, then let it be known.

PeterOS

Postby PeterOS » 22 Apr 2013, 09:09

Mike,
I'm up for this team,
what is the Qualification regime for selection ??

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 22 Apr 2013, 10:10

I am tempted by this.
Will be 52 in dec-13 so can contribute a little to a 150+ theme. I can almost ride at Middies pace.
I have not raced before so I'm not really sure where to start.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Apr 2013, 15:29

There is no qualification, all we need is a race license

Teams are a minimum 3, maximum 4

The way its going with interest, we have 2 teams easy. More interest more teams.

No reason why we can't also enter a sub150 team

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Apr 2013, 17:03

In Lindsay's post in the Vintage section he said CNSW had told him a silver 'recreational' license was enough but best to check.

BTW, Fri 19th and Sat 20th are the last 2 nights of the Tour de France, excepting the Paris finish. It is of course possible to drive down and back on the day, but it's a nice area to stay if the weather's good. Last year we drove down Friday night and also stayed Sat night. I guess that's the plan for this year too and I'm already scoping houses.

Philip

Postby Philip » 22 Apr 2013, 18:29

I'm also tempted and also 52. So if some one finds themselves in need of some old legs let me know. Keeping in mind I have a deficit in the race experience dept.

JJM_1

Postby JJM_1 » 22 Apr 2013, 19:51

I'm 51 - according to the rules - & keen for a run in a 150+ team too. John M

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Apr 2013, 20:17

In the entry page, there's a bunch of rules, so if there's nothing on tV...

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13146.htm

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 22 Apr 2013, 21:10

I think I'd like to try this out too.

As at 31 Dec I will be 46 yrs old, so I would hope to join a 150+ team.

A couple of things:
1. I've never raced before so would need to upgrade my licence. I note that I would need to have done this and entered into some other race before 20 May to qualify. [64a.11: Members must be financial with their represented club and Cycling NSW 2 Calendar months prior to the event and must produce their Race Licence at the event (Receipts of membership application will not be accepted)] Can anyone offer me advice here? Would a D grade Heffron race be a sensible option for me? Are there any coming up just so I can tick the box?

2. I hate losing. Any chance I could be paired with others who can average 35kph+ over the 40kms distance - or am I dreaming?

John

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Apr 2013, 21:36

Hello Jonboy. You don't need to qualify. You just need to be a financial member of DHBC for 2 months prior (this is to stop wringers suddenly joining a club on the Friday). So, if you upgrade your license now you'd be fine. However, a Silver license may also be OK. Ring CNSW and ask them.

Re losing. Good luck there. The 'normal' masters category (four masters riders of any age over 30 i.e. MMAS All Ages Division (no age restrictions)), is the one my team & the Valley Wheelers teams wil be racing in. For me it's all about the fun of the event, and trying to beat the missus. Trust me, you won't be winning.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Apr 2013, 21:55

Thanks for the responses guys, we are definently on target for 2 150+ teams

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 23 Apr 2013, 05:01

I think I'd like to try this out too.

As at 31 Dec I will be 46 yrs old, so I would hope to join a 150+ team.

A couple of things:
1. I've never raced before so would need to upgrade my licence. I note that I would need to have done this and entered into some other race before 20 May to qualify. [64a.11: Members must be financial with their represented club and Cycling NSW 2 Calendar months prior to the event and must produce their Race Licence at the event (Receipts of membership application will not be accepted)] Can anyone offer me advice here? Would a D grade Heffron race be a sensible option for me? Are there any coming up just so I can tick the box?

2. I hate losing. Any chance I could be paired with others who can average 35kph+ over the 40kms distance - or am I dreaming?

John
Pete OSullivan is probably in that Category / speed - and I know he wants a team. You may be dreaming...but good to aim high. Have a look at the speed the podium winners averaged last year. The results should be posted up on the site. That should give you some idea of what you are up against.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 23 Apr 2013, 07:07

And perhaps look at the course - the first half is all up hill. Then turns around and comes back on the same route, plus a flat loop at the end. If you are looking at times, only look at the times from last year as it was at Nowra. The previous years were on other courses.

In a TT, the time for the team is calculated on the time of the 3rd person across the line. So you can't afford to leave any of your team mates out in the wind. If you drop the 4th one, then do it a late as possible and make them keep riding just in case someone up front has a mechanical or something.

utopia

Postby utopia » 23 Apr 2013, 07:16

Some research that may be useful.
http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/cy_nsw/ra ... /13146.htm
which links to http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/nsw-ttt#
which shows elevation profile with elevation difference approx 240m and total elevation gains at 447m

or a strava of a chap who did this last year for reference
http://app.strava.com/activities/13988277

Edit : or better yet the strava segment
http://app.strava.com/segments/1794393
Last edited by utopia on 23 Apr 2013, 08:50, edited 1 time in total.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 23 Apr 2013, 07:22

Checking the results from last year, at least for the geriatrics (150+), winning time was 57mins and best DHBC effort was 1hr 4mins, avg 37kph.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Apr 2013, 09:12

We did better the previous year

paul

Postby paul » 23 Apr 2013, 10:27

John.

Good to see you ready to pin on a number.

These days Heffron d grade is just juniors. You would be fine in c, or try the Vets or MWCC West Head road race.

And no one likes losing, but it happens more often than not.

Paul

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 23 Apr 2013, 11:10

Hello Jonboy. You don't need to qualify. You just need to be a financial member of DHBC for 2 months prior (this is to stop wringers suddenly joining a club on the Friday). So, if you upgrade your license now you'd be fine. However, a Silver license may also be OK. Ring CNSW and ask them.

Re losing. Good luck there. The 'normal' masters category (four masters riders of any age over 30 i.e. MMAS All Ages Division (no age restrictions)), is the one my team & the Valley Wheelers teams wil be racing in. For me it's all about the fun of the event, and trying to beat the missus. Trust me, you won't be winning.
In response to the licensing question I called Cycling NSW and was told the following (and they agreed that I can pass this info on as 'gospel' to other club members):

- CNSW stated that for the team time trial a silver licence is sufficient. It is only for mass start events or races that you need the race licence.

- And for me 'losing' in this context is finishing in the bottom half of the leaderboard.

J

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 23 Apr 2013, 12:12

This sounds like it could be a lot fun!

I'm keen on joining a 4 man team. (I'm 42) so could slip in as the 4th rider in a 150+ or happy to enter in the MMAS (all ages) category.

Cheers
Anthony (black/white colnago)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Apr 2013, 15:52

AnthonyI, its not a problem, if we don't make the age category, then its effectively the same TTT, just different result sheet.

Phillip, johnboy, AnthonyI, could you please PM me your full name, email and mobile numbers - thanks

We now have 2 complete 150+ teams and a third one filling up. One reserve rider.

Scott_W

Postby Scott_W » 23 Apr 2013, 16:45

Hi Guys

I would be keen to join a team - I have just turned 40 and am keen to have another target to train for. I completed 3 Peaks in March and since then haven't cracked out as much training as I would like. Very happy to join a team and do some training in an effort for a respectable showing.

Cheers

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Apr 2013, 18:01

I'd be very keen to enter the TTT. I'm an MA1. Anyone else interested in setting up another team with me??? I'd definitely be aiming for +35km/h speeds.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Apr 2013, 18:24

Remember to bring something to warm up with

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 23 Apr 2013, 20:13

Well despite Camilla's primary source of calories being wine, her fat levels are way too low.

OK jokes aside, I forgot to take warmers last year and weller came to the rescue.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 23 Apr 2013, 21:05

Adrian, I am looking at dates (things have come up) so I'm 50% at this stage. I've had it penciled in since Jan so hopefully it firms to 100%. I'll let you know ASAP . 35+ km/hr is fine, should be able to pull some longer turns if required or depending on team makeup

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 24 Apr 2013, 21:06

I'm interested. Also masters 1 and good for 35+

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 24 Apr 2013, 21:50

Nozzle, I've complied a list of those interested, could you please PM me your name, email, mobile and age as at 31/12/2013.

If there's interest in having a practice this Sunday morning then Lacey and I are happy to ride out to Kernell with those interested departing Marrickville 6.30am, we can sit on a bunch then turn left to Kernell. Both Lacey and I are on a rest day this Sunday, so we intend to ride slow, the practice will not be about how fast we can go.

Let me know if your interested

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 24 Apr 2013, 22:02

Details PM'd.

Planning to race after driving my wife to the airport Sunday morning. Could do something the following weekend perhaps?

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 25 Apr 2013, 05:31

Alas I am stuck in the office this Sunday morning.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 25 Apr 2013, 09:52

Remember to bring something to warm up with
Are you suggesting Stuart that people warm up via Camilla?

Philip

Postby Philip » 25 Apr 2013, 20:41

Hi Mike, I'm keen to do a Kurnell training session on Sunday. If there is not enough starters then I'll just carry on to Waterfall as usual.
See you on Sunday morning at the cafe, or not, as the case may be.

Philip

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 26 Apr 2013, 09:49

Mike

I'm keen to learn too. See you Sunday at 6:30am for the TT training session.

John

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 26 Apr 2013, 13:12

cool, see you Sunday

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 26 Apr 2013, 20:58

See you guys Sunday.

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 27 Apr 2013, 14:10

Just been given partial clearance for this event. I'm able to do it as long as I am back in sydney by 6pm at the very latest (wife's birthday dinner so I can't miss it!). Looking at the start times from last year it will be touch and go so we may have to register 5 in the team and cross fingers.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 27 Apr 2013, 16:15

Perhaps you can communicate with the organisers to get an earlier time slot?

paul

Postby paul » 27 Apr 2013, 19:50

I'll be there for practise too.
See you at 6:30 at the cafe

Cheers

Paul

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Apr 2013, 11:29

Nice ride this morning, hope everyone enjoyed it

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 28 Apr 2013, 14:20

Stumbled upon this strava log for a quick ride in Kernell. Have a look at how smooth the heart rate is, once he's going proper.

http://app.strava.com/activities/6699892

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 28 Apr 2013, 15:58

Mclovin is a former (could even be current) Elite state time trial champion! You picked the perfect file to analyse

Philip

Postby Philip » 28 Apr 2013, 18:19

Excellent ride Mike, thanks for the help. That guy's heart rate is amazing!

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 29 Apr 2013, 16:30

ATTA individual time trail is on this Sunday morning. I'll email the details out tomorrow when I've got some time

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 May 2013, 10:38

Calga ITT is on this Sunday, I strongly recommend that the the TTT'ers come out this Sunday morning and do the 25k ITT

http://www.atta.asn.au/program.html#nswprog

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 31 May 2013, 13:51

I'd love to have a go at Calga but this Sunday looks ugly - are they likely to hold the event if it's raining?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 31 May 2013, 17:14

It will be on.

There's no danger, one U turn is the only place you need to slow down, regardless of the weather

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 21 Jun 2013, 10:01

Some of us are looking at going for a spin tomorrow morning. Either CP or Kernell

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 21 Jun 2013, 10:56

I'll be in Kurnell on the TT bike. Probably going to drive there though.

Giving my latest anti chafing idea a go... :oops:

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 04 Jul 2013, 21:59

Just by way of update for those entering this event I checked with Cycling NSW about my licence and things have changed (see response below). I've applied to upgrade my licence but if you are in the same boat move quickly as entries close this Sunday.
---------------
Hi John

Unfortunately a silver license will not be enough to compete in the Championships. New changes in the parameters for licensing from Cycling Australia means that the information that was provided to you (which was correct at the time) is now out of date. In order to compete in the Club Team Time Trial Championships all competitors must now hold a Gold Race License. Silver license holders will now be allowed to participate in timed non-competitive rides only (with all insurance terms for training as per standard).

To accommodate this change, Cycling NSW will be running the Sassafras Challenge Team Time Trial event in conjunction with the NSW Club Team Time Trial Championships. This event will be open to all Silver license holders and for this edition Cycling NSW approves the use of 1-day Silver licenses for all non-members participating. END

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 05 Jul 2013, 07:38

This is so stupid.
Cycling NSW can't retrospectively deregister people who have registered, paid and received written confirmations of our registrations. These people were provided CNSW license numbers. Their own website stated Silver licenses were okay for the NSW Team Time Trials.
If they push this retrospective ruling through I am making a formal complaint to NSW Fair Trading.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 05 Jul 2013, 09:56

Sounds like they will transfer your entry to the Sassafras Challenge Team Time Trial. Seems the only difference is that you can't take a NSW medal.

And while we are on this discussion, the Sassafras Challenge Team Time Trial is open to all, there are no medals for this. You and use riders of any age and can even have males and females in the same team.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 05 Jul 2013, 11:32

I just got a call from Dean Coxall from CNSW. He said CNSW are implementing changes made by Cycling Australia. Something to do with insurance requirements. Said there was no alternative but to upgrade if you want to participate. The Sassafras TT alternative sounds like a cop out.
Called Cycling Australia (Margaret ph. 9339 5800) and she said if you joined/renewed back in Sept/Oct/Nov 2012 you have to pay $96.50 to upgrade to a Gold license which last till the end of 2013.
To do a CyclingAustralia upgrade go to: http://www.cycling.org.au/site/cycling/ ... 20Card.pdf
You'll need to fill in the form and post/fax/email scan back to them.
Send emails to: membership@cycling.org.au

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 05 Jul 2013, 12:33

Cycling Australia and Cycling NSW

Making it up as they go along ...... :roll:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMA2WSBMnvc

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 05 Jul 2013, 19:10

Despite their bumbling ways, some people seem to like us.
They've used our 2012 pic in todays 'Spoke N Word 405' report on the NSW Club Team Time Trial Championship.

DavidOS

Postby DavidOS » 14 Jul 2013, 12:49

As it turns out I'm going to be in Nowra on 20 July. Why not go in a bike race.

I'd prefer the NSW time trial championships, but I may to too late unless people cannot make it at the last last minute . The other option is the Sassafras Challenge. I have a gold licence and race occasionally at C grade level. Looking at the MMAS 150+ Division.

Are there any teams that need another rider?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Jul 2013, 14:05

If I understand correctly, you can enter anyone in the challenge (silver license or greater) teams can also be mixed gender.

Entries close tonight. Even if you don't have it fully sorted, you can probably advise the lineup during the week

DavidOS

Postby DavidOS » 14 Jul 2013, 18:11

If I understand correctly, you can enter anyone in the challenge (silver license or greater) teams can also be mixed gender.

Entries close tonight. Even if you don't have it fully sorted, you can probably advise the lineup during the week
Just checked the website. Entries for Challenge close Tue 16 Jul. There are a few more days to go.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 15 Jul 2013, 09:30

Not silver license. Gold only. Refer dean coxall cycling nsw

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 16 Jul 2013, 09:18

For those of you who are coming to Nowra this weekend, I just had a look at the forecast:

Temperature range is 5 degrees to 12 degrees. Possible shower on Sunday.

Bring your woolly gear!

J

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 16 Jul 2013, 09:23

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 16 Jul 2013, 10:07

Good luck to all the teams.

WMAS Championship

12:20:00 DHBC WM-6 ATAHAN, Pia Dulwich Hill BC
12:20:00 DHBC WM-6 MORGAN-THOMAS, Eleri Dulwich Hill BC
12:20:00 DHBC WM-6 SKINNER, Joanna Dulwich Hill BC
12:20:00 DHBC WM-6 TROUTMAN, Joanne Dulwich Hill BC

MMAS 150+ Championship

13:18:00 DHBC M+17 MUNKS, Lindsay Dulwich Hill BC
13:18:00 DHBC M+17 WEBSTER, Ronald Dulwich Hill BC
13:18:00 DHBC M+17 WEBBER, Roger Dulwich Hill BC
13:18:00 DHBC M+17 TREGILLGAS, Peter Dulwich Hill BC

13:42:00 DHBC M+6 CLEMENT, Michael Dulwich Hill BC
13:42:00 DHBC M+6 LACEY, Mark Dulwich Hill BC
13:42:00 DHBC M+6 BOLTON, Simon Dulwich Hill BC
13:42:00 DHBC M+6 ARMISHAW, Paul Dulwich Hill BC

MMAS All Ages Championship

13:58:00 DHBC AA-48 WELLER, Craig Dulwich Hill BC
13:58:00 DHBC AA-48 KINNA, Shaun Dulwich Hill BC
13:58:00 DHBC AA-48 NOTT, Matthew Dulwich Hill BC
13:58:00 DHBC AA-48 HARTLEY, Thomas Dulwich Hill BC

14:02:00 DHBC AA-46 RERCERETNAM, Marc Dulwich Hill BC
14:02:00 DHBC AA-46 SIMINGTON, Alister Dulwich Hill BC
14:02:00 DHBC AA-46 BOWNES, Peter Dulwich Hill BC
14:02:00 DHBC AA-46 MASON, John Dulwich Hill BC

14:06:00 DHBC AA-44 JOHNSON, John William Dulwich Hill BC
14:06:00 DHBC AA-44 BELFORD, Andrew Dulwich Hill BC
14:06:00 DHBC AA-44 HARRIS, Christopher Dulwich Hill BC
14:06:00 DHBC AA-44 PATTON, Ray Dulwich Hill BC

14:12:00 DHBC AA-41 KIRKHAM, Douglas Dulwich Hill BC
14:12:00 DHBC AA-41 HICKSON, Stuart Dulwich Hill BC
14:12:00 DHBC AA-41 FARRAR, Adam Dulwich Hill BC
14:12:00 DHBC AA-41 ANTHES, Cameron Dulwich Hill BC

15:26:00 DHBC AA-7 LESTER, Joshua Dulwich Hill BC
15:26:00 DHBC AA-7 GORRELL, Noel Dulwich Hill BC
15:26:00 DHBC AA-7 WOLFENDEN, Derek Dulwich Hill BC
15:26:00 DHBC AA-7 EMILSEN, Adrian Dulwich Hill BC
15:26:00 DHBC AA-7 HEALEY, John Dulwich Hill BC

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 16 Jul 2013, 16:49

Good luck DHBC, even to those growing number of Male Teams that are challenging the woman. We look forward to a fierce but friendly competition, and are keen to see what the dawdlers come up with next. Moustaches again or Wigs ?

See you all Saturday and we are ready for Team Stu, Adam, Cam and Dougy to unleash the Furry!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Jul 2013, 19:04

No mens elite team this year huh ??

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 16 Jul 2013, 20:07

I'm predicting that my team will be quicker in the second half than the first half

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 16 Jul 2013, 20:47

I'm predicting ALL teams will do a negative split.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 17 Jul 2013, 10:47

and are keen to see what the dawdlers come up with next. Moustaches again or Wigs ?
With age taking its toll on us men, they'll probably be an emphasis on wigs.

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Jul 2013, 11:30

No mens elite team this year huh ??
We had a team entered picked from the NRS team with our best 4 riders this year. Unfortunately the team included two U/19 riders who are apparently allowed to race NRS tours but not the Elite team time trial State Title events.

Cycling NSW took it to the technical commission and they decided that U/19 riders cannot ride with Elite riders even though this was not the case in the team pursuit last year and there is no consistency to this ruling. CNSW have made a number of rulings this year which have made it difficult for DHBC to compete. We have found that Cycling Victoria & Queensland to be much more organised and open to supporting the development of elite racing Australia.

The boys were very keen to ride and are very disappointed with this ruling. Looking at the Elite start list I cannot see any other teams who would object to U/19 being allowed to integrate but there was not enough time to appeal this decision and possibly no grounds to.

boltonfamily

Postby boltonfamily » 17 Jul 2013, 20:24

Hi - I'm heading down to take part in one of the (boys) teams. My other team members are staying down and racing on Sunday so I'm currently travelling alone. Does anyone want a lift?
Alternatively, is anyone else going down and coming back Saturday with space in a car?
Cheers
Simon

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 17 Jul 2013, 21:06

@Simon - that's not at all good. You'd think that CNSW would be wanting to encourage youth to race. No more elite riders to fill the spots?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Jul 2013, 21:58

Ironically master riders can race elite by upgrading their license. Am I correct in saying that Juniors can't upgrade to Elite license?

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 17 Jul 2013, 23:11

@Simon - that's not at all good. You'd think that CNSW would be wanting to encourage youth to race. No more elite riders to fill the spots?
There are other elite riders in the club and we were looking at the possibility of making a team but there was very limited opportunity as we were not informed of our teams ineligibility till after entries had closed at which point they refunded the teams entry fee.

In the past few years we have always had two teams one which had desire to win and one which had a desire to get involved and have fun. There has been alot of different happenings over the last year; a few guys have finished uni and gotten jobs which are weekend shift work, there's some broken bones, there's some babies and there's some general maturing to masters racing.

I think the main issue is that it is 80kms, 4 riders must start 3 riders must finish, so you can't have huge differences in ability and fitness. We have had our U/19's specifically racing at the top level in NRS events so we they are the ones who best fill the spots.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 18 Jul 2013, 10:23

For those of you who are coming to Nowra this weekend, I just had a look at the forecast:
Temperature range is 5 degrees to 12 degrees. Possible shower on Sunday.
Bring your woolly gear!
Weather looks quite clear for Saturday. Unfortunately there will be 20-30kmph winds coming from the west in the morning. In other words (correct me if I am wrong) riders will have a tail wind on the climb but headwind on the way back.
Believe these same winds will be slightly stronger (25-40) on Sunday.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 19 Jul 2013, 03:10

Go the Girls!!! I'll be in Bulgaria thinking of you and sending speedy safe vibes. May organize to text one of you mid race and I'll expect a progress report.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 19 Jul 2013, 07:39

We can get Eleri to tweet it...

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 20 Jul 2013, 22:56

Race Report

Team;
- Simon B
- Paul A
- Mark L
- Mike C

Category;
Masters 150+

In the Masters 150+ category there were 21 teams entered. We were the 6th to last team to leave.

With 30 seconds to go, the barriers blew over onto the road just in front of us. Mark was held clipped in and on a clean line, where the rest of us had to merge with each other and go around the barrier. This resulted in Mark getting away from the rest of us and we didn't get ourselves fully sorted till we had done almost a K.

Once sorted we got on with it, the wind gave the course a very different feel to last year and we made good progress, cutting thru the terrain. About 15k out Simon popped, I went back to get him and after a little he decided to drop so I rolled back to Mark and Paul and we got back into it. Caught a dropped rider from the group ahead and finally made the turnaround.

Unlike last year, turning around didn't make it automatically easier but we did a good job of cutting thru the headwind and then at about 60kph my bike developed a loud rattle, I thought my cassette had come loose and we rolled slowly into an intersection that had 2 officials. They offered me a wheel, but it had the wrong cassette. I took the wheel out and we couldn't find anything wrong with it. I guessed that the skewer had come loose, we put the wheel back in and took off.

It took about 2k to refind the rhythm and we took the downhill by the short and curly's. Just before Nowra airport a car came out of side street, it just managed to get ahead of us, not slowing us down but it went straight into a 60kph zone and we were doing 65kph. Fortunately we didn't catch it.

Around the turnaround and despite the direction we ended up in a headwind for the final bit, I struggled on the front, Lacey went past me and hit the wall, so I went back on the front, we turned left to the airport and strung across the road for the final effort to the line.

We finished about a minute behind the team of Lindsay, Ron, Roger and Peter. Our time including my stop to inspect the rear wheel was 1h6m55s, I think we came 12th out of 21 teams. How much we lost in the stop is difficult to tell, perhaps we would of come 6th, but no way we would of got bronze, for that we needed to do 1h2m.

Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/68378845

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 21 Jul 2013, 13:52

A wonderful time was had by all. Conditions were generally good. Sun was out but strong north-westerly winds dampened our spirits and times by a couple of minutes. Photos and comments to follow.
The full results can be viewed at: http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=50789

MMAS All Ages Championship

Winning time by Penrith CC: 0:57:09.82

18th DHBC AA-48 WELLER, Craig Dulwich Hill BC 1:04:43.11
18th DHBC AA-48 KINNA, Shaun Dulwich Hill BC 1:04:43.11 18th
18th DHBC AA-48 NOTT, Matthew Dulwich Hill BC 1:04:43.11 18th
18th DHBC AA-48 HARTLEY, Thomas Dulwich Hill BC 1:04:43.11 18th

36th DHBC AA-46 RERCERETNAM, Marc Dulwich Hill BC 1:14:06.55 36th
36th DHBC AA-46 SIMINGTON, Alister Dulwich Hill BC 1:14:06.55 36th
36th DHBC AA-46 BOWNES, Peter Dulwich Hill BC 1:14:06.55 36th
36th DHBC AA-46 MASON, John Dulwich Hill BC 1:14:06.55 36th

40th DHBC AA-41 KIRKHAM, Douglas Dulwich Hill BC 1:20:16.41 40th
40th DHBC AA-41 HICKSON, Stuart Dulwich Hill BC 1:20:16.41 40th
40th DHBC AA-41 FARRAR, Adam Dulwich Hill BC 1:20:16.41 40th
40th DHBC AA-41 ANTHES, Cameron Dulwich Hill BC 1:20:16.41 40th

41st DHBC AA-44 JOHNSON, John William Dulwich Hill BC 1:21:56.55 41st
41st DHBC AA-44 BELFORD, Andrew Dulwich Hill BC 1:21:56.55 41st
41st DHBC AA-44 HARRIS, Christopher Dulwich Hill BC 1:21:56.55 41st
41st DHBC AA-44 PATTON, Ray Dulwich Hill BC 1:21:56.55 41st

42nd DHBC AA-7 WOLFENDEN, Derek Dulwich Hill BC 1:22:40.93 42nd
42nd DHBC AA-7 EMILSEN, Adrian Dulwich Hill BC 1:22:40.93 42nd
42nd DHBC AA-7 HEALEY, John Dulwich Hill BC 1:22:40.93 42nd

WMAS Championship

Winning time by Lidcombe Auburn CC: 1:10:17.25

8th DHBC WM-6 ATAHAN, Pia Dulwich Hill BC 1:16:23.61 8th
8th DHBC WM-6 MORGAN-THOMAS, Eleri Dulwich Hill BC 1:16:23.61 8th
8th DHBC WM-6 SKINNER, Joanna Dulwich Hill BC 1:16:23.61 8th
8th DHBC WM-6 TROUTMAN, Joanne Dulwich Hill BC 1:16:23.61 8th

MMAS 150+ Championship

Winning time by Bathurst CC: 0:59:26.64

12th DHBC M+6 CLEMENT, Michael Dulwich Hill BC 1:06:55.24 12th
12th DHBC M+6 LACEY, Mark Dulwich Hill BC 1:06:55.24 12th
12th DHBC M+6 BOLTON, Simon Dulwich Hill BC 1:06:55.24 12th
12th DHBC M+6 ARMISHAW, Paul Dulwich Hill BC 1:06:55.24 12th

24th DHBC M+17 MUNKS, Lindsay Dulwich Hill BC 1:30:39.39 24th
24th DHBC M+17 WEBSTER, Ronald Dulwich Hill BC 1:30:39.39 24th
24th DHBC M+17 WEBBER, Roger Dulwich Hill BC 1:30:39.39 24th
24th DHBC M+17 TREGILLGAS, Peter Dulwich Hill BC 1:30:39.39 24th

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 21 Jul 2013, 16:40

Some photos from the day.

Quality a bit poor in some due to an unnoticed ISO glitch for a bit, but I've Lightroomed them within an inch of their life!

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-C0_C ... 1293-2.jpg

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 21 Jul 2013, 17:50

How great was this weekend. Awesome to see so many Dhbc teams enter, and no matter what position they came, they all seemed to have huge smiles on their faces for completing the painful task at hand. A big collection of the DHBC crew stayed back to support and see the final DHBC riders finish. Thanks Karzie for the great photos, look forward to reading some race reports.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jul 2013, 19:04

Had a great time at the TTT. Absolutely totalled by race end. Never been that stuffed on the bike, ever. Big thanks to Cameron who did about 70% of the work on the out leg up that hill into that wind. Congrats to the girls for beating us by 4 mins :cry: We'll be back!

here's a couple of piccies.

The Pres and JoTheBuilder warm up

Valley Wheelers .. pick the odd one out

Masters women get a flying start

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 21 Jul 2013, 21:16

Congratulations to everyone who rode in the TTT. It was great to see so many DHBC out on the road and giving it a go.

DHBC fielded 8 teams along with St George. Only 2 clubs surpassed that - Waratah Masters and SuVelo both managed 9 teams. For us that is a great showing and for many riders it was their very first bicycle race. Thinking back a few years, the TTT in 2010 was my first entree into racing as well. To each of you - you've had a taste of racing, now have a racing licence and ... well, you might as well make use of it!

The Women's team rode at 12:20 and we stayed around all afternoon to see our club members depart, arrive and then debrief. Some like Stuart were barely comprehensible at the end, others were cool as a cucumber. It was a great way to spend an afternoon even though it was getting a bit chilly by the end.

Our team rode well and our plan to all finish together came to fruition. We all talked and communicated well and slowed up the leaders to keep our team together when some of us got gapped (OK, yes, that was me on the early hills - failed to warm up properly and we all know it takes me ages to get going). It was very windy and we got blown around a bit. Only got passed by one team and they won the Women's and we passed 2 others so that was good for morale. But we knew we really wanted to beat the Carbon Cranks and that motivated us. Thanks women!

On a personal note I was delighted to be asked as a Cycling Australia board member to present the medals to the Men's Open TTT winners.

timyone

Postby timyone » 21 Jul 2013, 22:28

I'm quite impressed with Craig Weller's teams time!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 22 Jul 2013, 06:45

I'm quite impressed with Craig Weller's teams time!
Wellers team time of just over 1.05 was impressive. I was there to see them finish and they gave it there all. Wellers face was covered in sweat and saliva so they left nothing in the tank. I wondered if they used the Ginsana? Awesome effort from Weller and his hand picked team.

Also apology to Lindsay for quoting on the Forum about the Valley wheelers and their "rusty" old bikes. Alas they are old and vintage ...but extremely well maintained and not a rust spot in sight.

One last thing I will add, is that the woman's team have found our version of Stuart Ogrady in Pia, who won't get off the front, what a work horse. Jo is our Cancellara that just tapped away at a very strong even tt pace the whole way. Eleri is Jensy, the oldest yet the toughest! I will add that she was about to start the race with only one gear at the rear due to a Di2 failure, and opted to ride anyway, no doubt planning to scream "shut up legs" the whole way. Miraculously it started working at the line.

A great ride by the girls and truly a team effort. All I can say is I hope next year we have as many as 2 or 3 woman's teams together. What a great weekend for Dhbc.

Oh and congrats to Adrian in this podium finish at the Sassafrass ride.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 22 Jul 2013, 07:59

And does that make you Froomie Jo? Able to master all the disciplines and still come home strong when it mattered?

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 22 Jul 2013, 09:16

And does that make you Froomie Jo? Able to master all the disciplines and still come home strong when it mattered?
LOL - that's clever Jo - thanks. I know you resisted calling me "Quintana" because you knew I wasn't short enough!!

weller

Postby weller » 23 Jul 2013, 13:48

Greetings from South Africa! We were pretty happy with the time considering it was our first race together, by my data the course was long at just under 42ks. We were hoping for a 40kph average - maybe next year. It was great to see so many red DHBC jerseys around the carpark!

And yes we were juiced up on Ginsana.

CW

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 23 Jul 2013, 14:13

Some great times this year, both on and off the Course. DHBC had a big presence on a wild, windy and sometimes wet NSW Team Time Trial.

Mind you, the Saturday was “balmy” compared to the following day’s Nowra to Sassafras Handicap.

Popped in to catch the start – congrats to all who went out and faced the 65 kmh wind gusts!

Anyhow, back to the NSW team Time Trial, with 8 teams wearing Red with pride.

The 12 man Team of Steel’s Team Bus once again got jammed under the bridge at Culburra Beach, and we settled in to prepare for the war that is the Team Time Trial.

We repaired flat tyres, threw away brakes, drilled out transponders, filed cleats, topped up bidons and shortened knicks, all to great effect, spurned on by Lindsay’s Radio of Daggy Hits.

We decided to attempt the Triple.

1. Survive the Man of Steel Breakfast and remain conscious.

2. Maximum effort for the TTT and remain conscious.

3. Watch that night’s SBS Tour de France broadcast to the end and remain conscious.

The prize was unlimited use of the “Commissar’s Persuader” for the following 12 months.

Off to the start area and the place was buzzing. Great to catch up with all our teams, and attempt to warm up.

We cheered the girls off, then fronted up to the Commissar. Word on the line was that “zips were tricky in the wind” so we did our jerseys up tight and took off with a ring of Ron’s bell.

Despite a comfort stop, and pulling over to pick up a dropped pump, we still rode like the wind, or into the wind at least.

The months of precision training paid off, and it all finished too early.

We had a great time, and I think everybody else did too. Thanks to all who made it possible.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Jul 2013, 14:20

Hey Pete, wheres' the piccies ???

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 23 Jul 2013, 14:40

More to come...

Return to “Road”