Prescription cycling sunglasses recommendations?

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 08 Mar 2013, 15:34

Am looking for a pair of sunglasses that keep the wind out and can accommodate my visually-challenged prescription. Unfortunately I can't wear contacts and am a danger to the public without eye-wear. The interwebs overwhelm with options. Anyone found the perfect pair or an alternative solution - maybe even just an attachable bridge to seal off the gap between regular sunglasses/glasses and the forehead where the wind and everything else comes racing in?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Mar 2013, 17:07

My ophthalmologist buddy chose Rudy Project Rydon for his prescription sports sunglasses and guess that says something. At the same time, you really need to try them out yourself for fit reasons. A sub-ideal fitting frame will invariably compromise its optical functionalities and peripheral vision will necessarily be a focus for our purpose.
Last edited by weiyun on 08 Mar 2013, 17:28, edited 1 time in total.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 08 Mar 2013, 17:22

Considered laser?

Philip

Postby Philip » 08 Mar 2013, 18:18

Keeping in mind rule #36

http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/

Not that I paid any attention to rule #36... to hell with the rules... except of course numbers 5 and 9

aviators by Le Masurier, on Flickr

James Rogers

Postby James Rogers » 08 Mar 2013, 18:33

Obi Wan has some advice.

Although, I've also heard the Rudy Rydon recommendation. I think Simon B (if he is even on the forum) fashions those. I'm sure he wouldn't mind showing them off – I'll check if he's riding Sunday?
Last edited by James Rogers on 08 Mar 2013, 18:45, edited 1 time in total.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 08 Mar 2013, 18:37

I've had a set of Rudy Project for around three years. I've had to replace the frames at year 2 as the frames corroded with my sweat but were still functional.

The lenses are photochromatic so I can use them all year around.

Cost was around $1k so not cheap but they get the use and if you are with private health you will get some cash back on the lenses.

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 08 Mar 2013, 19:36

In order so far:
Weiyun - agree with actual fitting rather than online guessing. Rudy recommendation noted. Thanks.
Shrubb face - told laser not an option for my stigmata(sic?). Thanks.
Philip - does the, what appears to be a close fit on your forehead, keep the wind out? Rule #36 by non-mention would seem to not apply to the visually challenged. I note you do comply with Rule #37. Aviators remain an option. Thanks.
James - Thanks - look forward to hearing the outcome. Note: I intend doing Waterfall on Sunday.
Nozzle - anything at any price ($1k gulp!) to avoid the tears and pain. Rudy recommendation noted. Thanks.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Mar 2013, 20:29

To add, my non-prescription Rudy Rydon with photochromic lens has endured since 2007 with it once being partially run over by a following car (the last time I tried popping my sunglasses up on my helmet). The photochromic lens doesn't transition to the same range as before, an expected natural aging effect, but fundamentally the whole glasses has held up very nicely. Given the spare parts availability, I am considering updating the lens and continue its active life. Not cheap but was a worthwhile investment for me.

Philip

Postby Philip » 08 Mar 2013, 21:45

Having never worn any of the technical glasses mentioned above I really have no basis for comparison. With that disclaimer in mind, let me say, I love the Aviators. They have photo-chromatic lenses with an old guy bi-focal bit in the bottom. I only need the lenses for close up stuff, so I need them to read my Garmin, ie they're crucial. As to riding performance they work really well for me. Down hill I push them closer and they seem to keep the wind out really well. They do fog up when I stop at lights if I'm working hard, that's easily fixed by pulling them away from my face a bit. Being large lenses they have no blind spots. Most importantly though, despite "the rules", I don't like the techy look but do love the look of the aviators.

utopia

Postby utopia » 09 Mar 2013, 02:31

Have you considered prescription clip combination?

Rudy glasses from erudy local website approx 200 +
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=606
Just browsing thru earlier and perhaps you get a extra lenses http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/pages.php?pageid=15
, or a slinger helmet with that.

Rx insert approx 100 mark
http://www.erudy.com.au/shop/home.php?cat=520 maybe less from wiggle.
Edit : actually you can get a combo lower down that page.

Prescription lens -covered by health fund.

Some pics of a smaller ( asian-fit) combination
http://www.sydneycyclist.com/forum/topi ... t%3A385315

Either way do let us know what you land up with

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 09 Mar 2013, 09:23

Thanks everyone. My choices have been whittled down to:

a. Aviators and break Rule #36
b. Rudy Rydons with prescription inserts and break the bank!

I will post my final decision.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 09 Mar 2013, 13:04

FYI - my Rudy's are full prescription ImpactX lenses. No clip ons required. You get the benefit of corrected peripheral vision over inserts. Also less to clean and fog under testing conditions. That is why they cost $1k. The lenses come from overseas and are ground and fitted to you.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Mar 2013, 16:58

I think the non-clip in models are good, but they are of limited value to people requiring higher diopter correction and astigmatism. Need to talk to your friendly optometrist on that.

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 09 Mar 2013, 17:12

Nozzle and Weiyun - thanks. First thing Monday a visit to my optometrist! I like the Rudy clip-on option as it frees up the choice of lenses and allows for a single update for the deteriorating sight of a deteriorating 60 odd year old.

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 09 Mar 2013, 20:00

I have had Rudy Project Rydon glasses the same as Noel for just over a year, they are fantastic. Purchased on Wiggle for GBP100 during a promo. Purchased my wife a pair from erudy.com.au for AUD200ish with bonus lens. Note bonus lens are not impactx. My wife is equally impressed.

I was wearing the glasses with contacts as I was not willing to fork out $700 for prescription lens. I then purchased the clip on from Wiggle for GBP40 during one of their promos.

I had my latest prescription lens fitted to the clip on by Big W optical for $128 and received $92 back from health fund so lens only cost $36 - a bargain.

I have been using the glasses with clip on for 6 weeks now with no dramas. No issue with peripheral vision, no fogging up and clarity is first rate. Glad I chose this option for two reasons - cost effective if prescription changes and I can change lens, for different light conditions and seasons.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 10 Mar 2013, 07:30

I love the oakleys personally. I have had them for 5 years and they are still great, just need to replace the rubber nose bridge once at 20 bucks. Rudy project I hear are also great, however as the have an insert Theo who owns a pair said the peripheral view is a little blocked. All down to personal fit I guess.

paul

Postby paul » 10 Mar 2013, 10:51

I have set of Ryders.

Optically they are fine, but two thing bugs me:
Most annoying is that the rubber nose pads keep falling off. I've taken them back to the opticians twice for repair, but he just glues new ones, which promptly fall off again.
Second, the lens does not go dark in the car, I think this is because the car windows filler out the UV, so the lens does not react to the light. Whatever the reason, they are not much use for driving.

Paul

They are missing now, so the glasses slide down my nose when riding.

Paul

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 10 Mar 2013, 17:18

Photochromatic lenses require direct sunlight to work. So cars and visors on your helmet may stop them working partially or completely.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 12 Mar 2013, 07:42

I've had a few pairs of Oakelys and I never had an issue with them. They were about $500 or so for the pair. Also, if you're getting a proper pair of perscription lenses for sunglasses, check that you're prescription is OK for it. I seem to remember that there was a limit about how far they would go.

I've since had laser done now, so I don't need perscription any more. I'd recommend it, but as always, do your research and be aware of the risks and limitations.

James

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 12 Mar 2013, 08:04

My optometrist sold me a $500 pair of sunglasses (including prescription requiring lens grinding) very similar to the Rudy Project Rydons (on which I had pretty well decided). They have a clip-in prescription piece that I chose not to have photochromatised and the clip-in clear, yellow, polarised dark lenses. These lenses are in one piece with a central clip on the nose bridge - hopefully much quicker and easier to change at a red traffic light than the Rydons. I don't know the brand! If anyone is interested I will post it when they arrive.

Again thanks to everyone for the very helpful advice and suggestions. Much appreciated.

Colin

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 24 Mar 2013, 16:01

My optometrist sold me a pair of 720 Armour (www.720-armour.com) sunglasses with clear prescription insert and clear, yellow and smoky lenses, very similar to the Rudy Rydons. Slightly cheaper and the lenses are one-piece and very easy and quick to change whilst the pace-line is explained under the Waterfall tree.

After a quick, by my standards, draft around CP yesterday and a Waterfall C25s averaging 27 today I am impressed and very pleased with them. No sore eyes but the ubiquitous fogging problem occasionally rendered me a threat to the general public! What you can't see can't hurt you.

Thanks for all the very helpful advice.

Return to “Conversation”