Clover gets the green light to finish the CBD bikeways

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Richard

Postby Richard » 14 Nov 2012, 18:18

SMH 14/11/12

"In an ironic twist, Barry O'Farrell's push to take control of transport in Sydney's CBD may finally complete Clover Moore's network of bike lanes.
Despite the Premier's hostility to the Lord Mayor's plans for the city, a committee set up by Mr O'Farrell gave fresh momentum on Wednesday to building the extra bike lanes needed to finish the city's grid."

Read more:
http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/bike-lane-tri ... z2CBPJpGPm

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Nov 2012, 19:40

Clever politician trick! Say one thing, do another via a committee. Not Barry's "desire".

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 14 Nov 2012, 19:43

Take that Bazza.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 14 Nov 2012, 21:37

That's a good sign.

I'm lucky enough to travel on bike paths for a good percentage of my daily commute. I travel along the College St path every weekday and the growth in cyclists is self evident. The only really fraught section for me is the missing link between Prince Alfred Park to College St. Hopefully this will come.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Nov 2012, 07:28

I've been commuting since 1990, all sorts of weird and wonderful routes.

I can tell you as soon as they put a piece of bike path up, the numbers jump on that route

Filling in the missing links is going to give us yet another significant boost in commuter numbers.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 15 Nov 2012, 07:43

For me it's the east/west link. Finishing off the cycleway up King St. The traffic is generally moving slow enough to not be a significant risk, but the state of the road is so bad that it makes it quite uncomfortable.

Speaking of which, does anyone ride Pyrmont Bridge Rd? Is that not the most dilapidated road in Sydney?!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Nov 2012, 09:37

Speaking of which, does anyone ride Pyrmont Bridge Rd? Is that not the most dilapidated road in Sydney?!
That's a terrible route to ride on during peak hours. I once looked after a cyclists for 2-3 months who had his pelvis smashed up amongst other injuries on that road. Shortest route may not be the safest.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 15 Nov 2012, 12:18

Hmmmm... I agree the shortest route is not always the safest but Pyrmont Bridge Road is wide enough in most parts for a car to safely pass a cyclist. It significantly improves after Glebe with fewer cars on the road. It is a much better route than Crystal St for example, or even the back lanes of Summer Hill where you have to try and cross Old Canterbury Rd.

Always open to suggestions however. No route is ever perfect and unfortunately, accidents can happen anywhere.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Nov 2012, 12:29

Well, depends on where you are going and which segment of Pyrmont Bridge Rd. I was referring to the section around Glebe. For that section, there's the option of St John's Rd instead. As for road surface condition, well, Sydney/NSW road repairs are just bad when compared to many developed and developing countries. Those digs and fills are just hopeless. And councils won't resurface a section until it's really really bad. So by your description, it won't be too long to wait. ;)

AliG

Postby AliG » 15 Nov 2012, 22:29

For me it's the east/west link. Finishing off the cycleway up King St. The traffic is generally moving slow enough to not be a significant risk, but the state of the road is so bad that it makes it quite uncomfortable.
Yep. King St is bad (particularly trying to merge with the traffic when the bike path disappears). But I find trying to get home via Market St is worse - from Hyde Park to George St, the traffic is usually at a standstill and when it's moving, it's full of cars constantly trying to change lanes. I often just walk on the footpath, instead (though, even that seems to be full of people changing direction or at a standstill).

May next year seems like a really short deadline. It'll be great if they can meet it!

Return to “Conversation”