Proposed, amongst others..
20km/h speed zone.
Cycle friendly speed humps

Hmmmmmmm

http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/r ... nt_project

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 20 Mar 2012, 07:29

All because they put the learn to ride facilities on the other side of the parking and across two lanes of traffic, with no alternative access. Their next move will be to put in traffic lights at all the black spots.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 20 Mar 2012, 07:40

Speed humps on CP!
Think it is time to reconsider slowie locations, maybe Olympic Park @ Homebush?

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 20 Mar 2012, 07:51

OMG! really?!?!
i recon speed zone times would be better, that way the clubs can ride early morning and late evening, and kids and families have the time inbetween. that way every one gets to use the park.

but if speed bumps go in, i vote one for hefron park! then i might learn how to turn right

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 20 Mar 2012, 08:27

i recon speed zone times would be better, that way the clubs can ride early morning and late evening, and kids and families have the time inbetween.
They're asking for comments at the moment, so make them before it gets locked in. They're planning to have it all implemented by July.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 20 Mar 2012, 08:28

ya, i already sent it in

rhys

Postby rhys » 20 Mar 2012, 16:08

What exactly is a "bicycle friendly asphalt hump"? As a cyclist I would say that no hump is friendly. I also wonder how many of their recorded incidents happened on car-free days? These and other gems included in my email to them with a few suggestions (none of which included inserting one body part into another, I promise).

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Mar 2012, 20:23

Just want to reinforce that you can make a submission before 17:00 on Fri 30th March:
Email: info@centennialparklands.com.au
Post: Marked 'Grand Drive Safety Project' to Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust, Locked Bag 15, Paddington NSW 2021

Please do so. DHBC needs to make a submission on behalf of the club. Committee where are you?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Mar 2012, 20:26

This is great article about the proposal. Please people, make a submission. Cycling is being marginalised, again. Its the cars that need controlling, not the cyclists. Ban cars, not cycling.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ph ... rkinglands

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 21 Mar 2012, 20:57

This is great article about the proposal. Please people, make a submission. Cycling is being marginalised, again. Its the cars that need controlling, not the cyclists. Ban cars, not cycling.

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ph ... rkinglands
Unfortunately I think the articles have alienated a significant portion of the cycling community ie. Tri on TT bikes and MAMIL. The author didn't need to put a wedge there.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 21 Mar 2012, 21:22

Unfortunately I think the articles have alienated a significant portion of the cycling community ie. Tri on TT bikes and MAMIL. The author didn't need to put a wedge there.
I agree that with Phil that there are cyclists who use the park who don't respect the rights of others. Whether it is Triathletes or not, I don't know. It would be useful if we could collectively think of a way to self-regulate.

But you know, I don't see too much conflict at the times I am there which is generally pretty early. Not too many kiddies using the kid facility at 6am. In fact I hadn't even realised that bit existed.

We do need to think of a solution. In my personal submission I suggested speed limits based around time of day - faster in the dawn and slower during "family hours". No speed humps. I didn't think of some excellent suggestions I have since seen re moving the parking for the kid cycling space and I might put in a second submission to pick that up.

patn

Postby patn » 22 Mar 2012, 07:14

In my submission I wrote something I've always thought about which was swapping the bike lane and road lane/parking... ie putting the car lane and the parking on the outside, and the bike lane on the inside. so cars don't have to turn across the bike lane to get in and out of the park exits, and to find parking spots. that would also put the parking on the same side of grand drive as the kids area. i dunno if thats a good idea or not. also Eleri I agree I think that setting speeds at different times is probably a good idea.

Is Phillip Gomez trying to start a fight with EVERYONE who uses the park? Why the baseless attacks on triathletes? And his go at 'rich white dudes'? Is he trying to be funny? There is so much wrong with whats in that I don't know where to start. Im suprised sbs put that up on their website. But we can agree to disagree on that article...

I think centennial park is a great place to ride, despite its flaws. 20km/hr speed limits and speed bumps will be the end of it as a bike destination I think :(

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 22 Mar 2012, 16:38

I think private vehicles/cars should be banned from the Grand Drive, but I think I am biased :evil:

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Mar 2012, 16:45

Philip Gomes is the on-line editor of Cycling Central's website. I think his article has a lot of merit. But as Pat said, we'll agree to disagree. I agree that swapping the bike & car lanes is a good idea but one that has its own problems, like turning Right across the bicycle lane to get to the internal roads. and one that was suggested to me by the copper when I gave my statement following Marc's crash caused by the car turning across our path without looking, or thinking, as many car drivers do. They may need to spend some $$ widening the road on the side that is now car parking. They should also probably provide an overpass or two for peds.

All DHBCers, please make a submission. Imagine what Pedestrian Crossings and Speed Humps will do to cycling in the park.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Mar 2012, 16:46

I think private vehicles/cars should be banned from the Grand Drive, but I think I am biased :evil:
**like a lot**

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » 22 Mar 2012, 17:25

The design of the grand drive is completely backwards, parking should be along the outside edge, then the road, then the cycleway, then the footpath which should be separated from the road and cycleway by a waist high barrier and there should be footbridges to get into and out of the centre of the park. That way cars don't have to cross the cycleway to get in or out, pedestrians can't wander across the road or cycleway and there's no ugly line of parked cars to ruin the view of the park itself.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 22 Mar 2012, 17:36

I believe private vehicle/car parking should be limited to the entry/exit gate areas ie. Paddington gates, Randwick gates etc. Have a small area, at these gates, where these drivers can come in and park - that is all. If there is no parking, too bad, don't drive in! Get on yer bike like the rest of us, damnit we come all the way from the inner west.
Local residents and businesses will hate it, as many use it as a source of free parking, but that is not the problem of the wider community.
I put that in my submission.

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 22 Mar 2012, 18:43

I will draft my submission over the weekend. Went for a ride today and tried to keep my pace to 20kph - it was near impossible. Way to slow and felt like I was going to fall off!!! I couldn't do it.
Given Adrian Emilsen has just won an award for sustainable transport etc. at Macquarie University surely he can come up with a logical/practical solution. Adrian - please help.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 22 Mar 2012, 20:28

As I understand, the works that are being proposed (i.e. speed humps and 20km/h speed limit) ONLY apply to the area near the children's cycling area. See the detailed design here: http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/_ ... ements.pdf
It's REALLY important to realise that what is being proposed it not a blanket speed limit of 20km/h for all of centennial park. It’s just for the bottom of the hill near the children’s cycling area, although some might think this installation is a thin end of the wedge.
I think a solution to this problem would be to relocate the children's cycling area to another space (dare I say closer to the cafe/kiosk which is already popular with the great playground equipment and ample carparking within the inner loop of the park). It could be much enhanced by closer access to facilities (i.e. toilets and cafes) and become the most popular children's cycling space in Sydney. See it as an opportunity, not a constraint.
Another alternative (although somewhat more regrettable) would be to implement a 20km/h speed zone (though Signage) which would be implemented ONLY during weekends (say from 9am to 5pm Sat and Sun). This is when the whole park and the children’s cycling area is most busy at there is the greatest conflict between different park users.. This would work just like a School Zone speed limit (time based). Anyone who rides past the children’s cycling area in those hours (9-5pm Sat and Sun) would have to slow down.
Either of these solutions would get bypass the heavy handed approach of installing speed humps which would probably only exacerbate dangers to cyclists in the park.

FYI: there is a protest ride/rally being organised on Thursday 29 March from 7am to 7:30am. Details are on facebook http://www.facebook.com/events/255713227851529/
Please consider attending and inviting your cycling friends.

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 22 Mar 2012, 21:02

Agree, we all need to make some comments/suggestions so lets all respond.

Additionally i will be going for the ride/rally next Thu at 7am,
Any others DHBCrs also planning to attend ?

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 22 Mar 2012, 21:38

Also, does anyone have any contacts with Media? Paper/Radio/TV etc might be good idea to see if they would be interested to cover it

AndrewBurns

Postby AndrewBurns » 23 Mar 2012, 05:20

Anybody planning to ride there for the protest, I think it would be a bit poor of me to drive there to protest against cars in the park :P

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Mar 2012, 06:37

Wed, 7.30am at CP.
I can do that.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 23 Mar 2012, 09:39

In all likelihood I will be there also.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 23 Mar 2012, 11:00

Someone from the Centennial Park Rights Ride group (Facebook) posted this great photo from around 1900.
Appears to clearly show how the present day 'Grand Drive' was originally called 'Cyclists Ave'.
Think it is time to revert back.

Copyright Centennial Park, Sydney

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 23 Mar 2012, 12:43

Hi Everyone,

Here are some tips for writting your submissions

Centennial Park - Cyclists User Group - A Unified Strategy.

Cyclists must be wary of promoting their own self-interests above safety (or even the perception of this).

The best way to get both media coverage - & ALL user-groups on-side - is to take the moral high ground on safety by advocating "Better Safety For All" by moving the Learners' Track to the Park interior.

All that junk they're proposing putting in the road... it trashes the aethetics of our Parkland without altering the fact that lorries, cyclists etc. HAVE TO pass between the car park and the Learners' Track.

This poor thinking is exacerbating the poor planning. (Our Media Mantra?)

Under their proposed scheme, here's a 100% certainty that accidents, injuries &/or near misses will happen, with expensive legal ramifications.

By questioning the quality of thinking/planning we achieve 5 important things:

1. We take the high ground on safety.
2. We bring families, car drivers & cyclists all on the same side. (Imagine that!)
3. We give the media more angles on the story (local planning screw-up, expensive waste of money, aesthetic vandalism, CP's lack of vision, 'tail wagging the dog', 'expect expensive legal payouts to cyclists', etc)
4. We don't get sucked into arguing about the height & length of speed bumps; or whether the paint they use will be slippery; or whether they'll allow us a variable speed limit so we can train at over 20mph at 6am! (In arguing these minor points, we are tacitly accepting the premise that we're to blame & that these measures will help)
5. We speak with a unified voice on a topic we can all agree on (instead of arguing about bump profiles or speed limits).

We don’t say "this scheme spoils our riding" but ”there’s a safer, more sensible, long-term solution".

And better value for money. And more aligned with the Trust's Deed, etc..

In advocating this, we needed not say: WE shouldn't be scapegoats for YOUR poor planning.

Aside: Once it's accepted that a new track needs to be built, we can help them realise an updated, improved track for families-&-kids (and Racers too maybe). This would be a genuine destination point for cyclists of all ages and skill levels.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 23 Mar 2012, 16:49

The Rally is on Thur 29th March at 7:00am till 7:30am. Here's the FB page link: http://www.facebook.com/events/255713227851529/

I'd encourage all DHBC members and friends who can do, to get along to this rally. And please, ride, don't drive!

Edit Mon 26th: I can no longer take a bunch: I'll take a bunch from Marrickville to the Park, leaving MRC at 6:20am on the day. Be there for a massed DHBC entrance at the usual Sat Slowies entrance gates at 6:55. Please wear your club kit if you've got it. Rain, Hail or Shine :shock:

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 26 Mar 2012, 03:21

If you have time available, tommorrow there will be a press conference at the park by members of the riding community

"We need help tomorrow with our first media moment for Cycle Centennial. We need someone to drive a Toyota Prius whilst the cameraman and sound are in the open hatch shooting back at riders. We also need riders.
11.45 at Centennial Cafe on the Drive side at the couches!"

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 26 Mar 2012, 08:19

Unfortunately I'll now be in Melbourne for work on Thur so can't attend the protest ride :( Hopefully I'll see lots of DHBC jerseys in the segment on the nights news.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Mar 2012, 00:03

Dear all,

Its very important we all attempt to go to the Park to show our strength and resolution.

All other clubs are rallying the troops. We must turn out.

Just as important is to send your submissions in individually. Whilst clubs will be sending their's in, its more effective to have 2000 oppositional submissions, than a number of clubs. Having both is advantageous.

In making your submission remember:

It can be two or three punch dot points - it doesn't have to be long.

It shoudl be polite and constructive.

We have an issue with families and kids crossing the road in front of cyclist for 9% of the week during the busy hours of 9 to 5 on Saturday and Sunday, and no other issue outside of those hours. They cross the road to get to the kids cycling track on the outside of the main circuit. Don't oppose the proposal without actually trying to solve the problem at hand.

Some thoughts.....
  • There are no such things as safe speed humps

Unsafe speed humps are likely to cause cycling accidents including swerving and touching of wheels, and crashing. Given overwhelming opposition to speed humps on safety grounds, any attempt to place these in the park, and where an accident occurs, as predicted by submissions, would render the Trust liable for accidents and damages.

White line markings over an extended surface are unsafe when wet, and will cause accidents to cyclists, especially when braking. Any attempt to put these into the park, despite the outlined risks, would render the Trust liable for accidents and damages.

It would be prudent to move the kids cycling track within the inner circle of the main circuit road, which does not require crossing the road to access.

Address the area in question at the times there are risks. These are from 9am to 5pm on Saturday and Sundays only, and reduced speed zone of 20kms per hour should be considered (without speed humps and extensive white painted markings) much like a school zone, with flashing lights.

We support the policing of the speed limit during the most critical hours (as proposed above, without humps and painted lines) and would encourage the Trust to enforce this, including the use of speed cameras.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 27 Mar 2012, 00:05

To get the ball rolling, and encourage others at how important but easy it is to get involved, please volunteer to let others in the club know when you have responded to the consultation, and if you are attending the protest ride.

I'll start it:

I've responded as part of the consultation and I will be attending on THursday.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 27 Mar 2012, 05:39

Got on 702 about this this morning. Adam ambushed me slightly & I didn't get to say all I wanted in the correct context. Never mind. I brought up the safety issue of speed humps & ped crossings. He asked me whether I ever exceeded the 30k limit. Never got to mention my main point that cars were the main danger. sigh ... need to brush up on my media skills :-)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 27 Mar 2012, 08:30

I will be there in club jersey.

That 30km/h number is a tricky one. Go any lower and might as well call it a kids track. Even kids ride faster than 20km/h on their 16" wheels.

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 27 Mar 2012, 10:25

I have provided feedback to Centennial Park and received their automated reply (which is fine).
I will endeavour to attend the park at 7am on Thursday.

D

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 27 Mar 2012, 12:14

Thanks to everyone who has worked to put in submissions and I'm sorry to hear about your call on 702 Stuart.

The group Cycle Centennia has reformed and there is a facebook page atl: http://www.facebook.com/cyclecentennial

For a bit of history, check out: http://www.randwickbotanycc.com/Cycle%20Centennial.htm

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE come along on Thurday morning. We need to show great numbers.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 27 Mar 2012, 14:33

I have put in a submission and am helping draft the DHBC one.
Unfortunately I can't go on Thursday as I have to go to Wollongong early. I'll be there in spirit.

jbcow

Postby jbcow » 27 Mar 2012, 14:52

India is a long way from the rally so will miss it. But I have written in to suggest better safety alternatives than the fudge they have proposed.

sent from tapatalk using my samsung 8.9

Toff

Postby Toff » 27 Mar 2012, 23:24

I am going to come along in club jersey. Will be at the Cafe on Thursday morning. Will put a submission in tomorrow.
Got on 702 about this this morning. Adam ambushed me slightly & I didn't get to say all I wanted in the correct context. Never mind. I brought up the safety issue of speed humps & ped crossings. He asked me whether I ever exceeded the 30k limit. Never got to mention my main point that cars were the main danger. sigh ... need to brush up on my media skills :-)
Adam is a bike rider. He commutes to work on Harris Street from Newtown. I think he was playing devil's advocate. I deliberately don't have a speedo on my bike so I can't be held accountable for something as ridiculous as a speed limit like that.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 28 Mar 2012, 07:10

If you have not written your submission yet there is another more streamlined option for you. This link: http://cyclecentennial.org/?page_id=40 has a form letter that encapsulates the main points. It only requires some of your basic info and then on submission it is sent for you. We need a lot of voices on this one so please let your position be known.

Michael

Postby Michael » 28 Mar 2012, 10:18

what the hell!!
do we not have enough to put up with already!!

submission made and there tomorrow
grrrr

Tod511

Postby Tod511 » 28 Mar 2012, 12:18

Just lodged my submission and will be at the park at 7.00 am tomorrow - regardless of the weather.

Don't normally follow rule number 9 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#9 but tomorrow is an exception and I will be envoking rule number 5 http://www.velominati.com/the-rules/#5. This is an important cause so requires an extra effort on my part. 100+ years of CP cycling history and hopefully many more to come is too important to jeopardise.

scully

Postby scully » 28 Mar 2012, 19:14

Extension to submission period - Grand Drive Safety Improvement Project

Posted: 28 March 2012

Following a range of consultations with key stakeholder groups, we have agreed to extend the period of submission on the Grand Drive Safety Improvement Project by two weeks.

This will particularly assist some of the larger membership-based organisations to consolidate and submit their coordinated responses.

Submissions will now close 5.00 pm, Friday 13 April 2012.

You can review the concept plan online, and submit your feedback to the Plan by:

email: info@centennialparklands.com.au
post: Marked 'Grand Drive Safety Project' to Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust, Locked Bag 15, Paddington NSW 2021

scully

Postby scully » 28 Mar 2012, 19:30

anything but bumps
overpass perhaps
cant make the ride will be at work but there in spirit

also cant work the punctuation on this keyboard

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 28 Mar 2012, 19:43

No bumps or further lowering of the speed limit for bikes.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 28 Mar 2012, 19:56

Are people riding out from the cafe tomorrow? 6.20? Or do we aim to gather at the park at 7?

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 28 Mar 2012, 22:03

Are people riding out from the cafe tomorrow? 6.20? Or do we aim to gather at the park at 7?
Can do both. Nicer to ride together if people are leaving from nearby the Marrickville Road Cafe

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 29 Mar 2012, 04:49

I have lodged my submission and will be at the park at 7.00.

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 29 Mar 2012, 09:15

Great event, sorry didn't find the Dhbc crew, apparently over 1000 of us turned up. Was surreal rolling into cp in the dark with such a long trail of bikes and flashing strobe/lights

Way to go Gee!!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 29 Mar 2012, 09:28

i got into the tele photo!

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 29 Mar 2012, 09:30

Make sure that you vote in the SMH poll: Where do you stand on speed bumps in Centennial Park?

Tell everyone you know on 2 wheels - closes in 2 days.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-ride ... 1vzl1.html

Toff

Postby Toff » 29 Mar 2012, 09:41

Make sure that you vote in the SMH poll: Where do you stand on speed bumps in Centennial Park?

Why? It's pointless, and those things only serve to create hate and anger...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 29 Mar 2012, 10:24

i got into the tele photo!
You know that's a sign, right? ;)

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 29 Mar 2012, 10:35

You know that's a sign, right? ;)
ya i know... just after the ride i was hit by a cyclist, as i stopped for a pedestrian crossing (red light). he ran into the back of me :(

Dougie

Postby Dougie » 29 Mar 2012, 11:42

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cyclists-ride ... 1vzl1.html

The little embedded vision at the beginning of the article shows a great shot of our DHBCers for a few seconds.

I am very disappointed that I couldn't get there for the protest ride (not for want of trying! I even had a permission note.) It would have been my first protest too. Considering I am usually on the side of the Water Cannon firing, Baton Charging, A little to the right of Genghis Khan types I was quite excited. I even had my own Basalmic and Extra Virgin Olive Oil Spray for my eyes, as i really don't like Capsicum unless its char grilled....

Thank you to all for your representation. I hope there is an opportunity on a Saturday Morning to do similar.

cheers

Dougie

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 29 Mar 2012, 12:06

Wow just realised I'm in the Tele pic also, red jerzy front, need to get my dhbc jerzy to fly the correct flag not just color

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 29 Mar 2012, 13:24

+1 - please vote in the poll - these things matter even though they are unscientific.

Bill K CX

Postby Bill K CX » 29 Mar 2012, 15:27

See further Facebook page.

http://m.facebook.com/cyclecentennial?i ... nnial&_rdr

Has a link to cycling central interview with Parklands CEO.

Encouraging, hopefuly not just smooth political speak.

Let's still ensure we all DO respond back before the deadline.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 29 Mar 2012, 15:53

Hi everyone,

Thanks for turning up this morning. It was certainly a good roll up. Some of you may (or maynot) know that I've been involved in some of the backend work of getting http://www.cyclecentennial.org up and running. We are currently looking for someone with web design skills to help us update content on the website. There has been an immence amount of media generated in just the last few days. If you have these skills (wordpress and web design) and would be interested in helping out, please shoot me an email at adrian.emilsen@gmail.com

Also, please become a facebook fan of Cycle Centennial at: http://www.facebook.com/cyclecentennial which has all the latest developments.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 30 Mar 2012, 16:54

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 11 Apr 2012, 20:23

Submissions on the proposed works close this Friday. The DHBC submission has gone in and all members are encouraged to put in a submission if they haven't already.

The text of our submission is here (it looked much nicer in the actual one).

About Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club was formed in 1908 and prides itself on offering fellowship among cyclists, regardless of experience, ability, aspirations or the equipment they own. We have a strong reputation for managing our bunches on the road, sticking to the road rules, being responsible cyclists at all times. Safety of the bunch and other road users is our priority.
We are a racing and recreational riding club that is registered with Cycling NSW and Cycling Australia. Our membership is growing fast and we currently have 320 members with a higher than average proportion of women. Our members range from Elite A Grade cyclists who have raced internationally through to recreational riders many of whom are riding for the first time. We also cater for a growing number of junior riders who ride both on the Velodrome and on the road.
Centennial Park is an important venue for us – it’s a safe place for cyclists to train early in the morning often before daylight. Just as importantly it is the destination for our very popular “Saturday Slowies” ride. We introduced this ride around five years ago to ensure there was a safe destination for riders in the inner-west. We leave Marrickville at 6.30am on a Saturday and a registered Cycle Skills Coach leads the ride over to Centennial Park. Details of the ride are here http://www.dhbc.org.au/bicycle-club/road.html

Picture: Some of our Saturday Slowies at Centennial Park.
Read what some of the women who regularly ride with us have to say about this riding particularly in Centennial Park when we interviewed a number of them in 2010 here http://www.dhbc.org.au/women-a-dhbc.html

Without a safe place to ride like Centennial Park and the ability of the club to escort them over to the park, we would not have anywhere near as many people riding. People come to us with lots of goals. The ones we hear most are: to lose weight; to get fit; to get confidence to start commuting; to learn to ride clipped in; to ride with other cyclists.
We aim to give people confidence to ride and to ride in a bunch, to provide them with the opportunity to ride in the park and to take part in exercise. Typically we have around 20 riders at the beginning of the ride and a further 10 or so join as at some stage in the park although we are spread out all over the park rather than riding in one bunch.
We note that Centennial Park is “one of the most cycling-friendly public spaces in Sydney” and that there are “over 700,000 cycling visits” each year and that cycling has a very long history in the park. It’s why we love it.

Our response to the proposals
We fully appreciate the need for safety in the park and indeed that’s why we take our Saturday Slowies ride there. The safety of all park users is important to us and as a club we play an important part in sharing that responsibility when any of our club members rides in the park, whether it is in the pre-dawn early morning, during the day or on a Saturday.
We have reviewed the proposals in the Grand Drive Safety Improvement Project and believe that there is an alternative that addresses the safety problems in a long-term sustainable way and resolves some important, inherent conflicts in the current arrangement.

Children’s Learners Cycleway
We understand the area around the Children’s Learners Cycleway presents potential user conflicts and while we hadn’t seen people parking in the cycle lane to unload, can appreciate the problems this presents for all users.
Children learning to ride are important to us and we love to see kids riding in the park. We hope they will grow up, gain confidence, be healthy and want to cycle when they are adults. We want them and their families to perceive cycling as a positive experience and not make it difficult for them to access.
We want them and their families to be able to access the Children’s Learners Cycleway safely without coming into conflict with cars or cyclists and other road users.
We argue that this can be best achieved by moving the Children’s Learners Cycleway inside the Grand Parade loop into an area where parents and children don’t have to cross the road carrying bikes, strollers as well as keeping their children safe.

Speed humps
We are concerned that speed humps may have unintended safety consequences, particularly for vulnerable and less confident riders. Our long experience in coaching and supporting new riders tells us that many of first time riders in Centennial Park are nervous around uneven road surfaces and this in itself can be a cause of accidents.
Their tendency to tense up when confronted with an uneven surface, obstacle or something else can result in an accident that didn’t need to happen. These bumps will also create a greater tendency for cyclists to touch wheels, which in 90% of cases results in a fall to the ground. Fall to the ground can and will result in injuries that can be life threatening in some cases, and can often result in hospitalisation.
The initial Trust submission refers to ‘cycle friendly speed humps’. There is no such thing as a cycle friendly speed hump in our view. Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club strongly advises that these will not be safe, and will increase injuries.
White Line Markings
We are concerned that there could be extensive white paint markings to be placed at the site of changes, to warn of the reduced speed and pedestrian traffic zone. White lines can be extremely dangerous when extensively marked and wet and will result in further cycling accidents. In fact, the RTA limits use of white line markings, other than for laneways, given the known risks these pose for cyclists and motorcyclists.
With the combination of speed humps and extensive white paint markings, where cyclist may have to brake suddenly leading up to the humps, the braking motion will create further propensity to skid on the painted markings.

Risk
We understanding that a considerable number of submissions point out the danger of extensive paint markings on the road and of the speed humps. This risk of slippage on white line markings is well documented and understood by the RTA for example, and therefore we believe that if the Trust does not heed this advice, it will place itself in a very risky legal position as liable for any subsequent falls, resulting from slippage on the paint markings, causing accidents. Furthermore, there will be numerous documents stating this, and all will be ‘discoverable documents’ for any legal proceedings by anyone injured as a result of installation of dangerous paint markings, particularly in conjunction with dangerous speed humps.

An Alternative
We understand other clubs and groups have proposed assisting in raising funds to relocate the Children’s Learners Cycleway. We offer our assistance in fundraising should that become necessary.
Follow up
We thank you for the opportunity to provide feedback to the Trust proposal and look forward to actively working with the Trust to ensure that the objective of safety is met optimally for all park users.
Please do not hesitate to contact either Geoff Martin or Eleri Morgan-Thomas if we are able to provide further input.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 11 Apr 2012, 20:53

very well said. thanks for the submission!

Philip

Postby Philip » 11 Apr 2012, 21:11

I agree, a great piece of writing very well argued.

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 11 Apr 2012, 22:37

Hi, thanks for making the effort to piece that all together.

It is a well-written submission, however, I am concerned about the harsh budget reality of the Trust. The alternative of moving the children's cycleway sounds a simple solution but it may be a relatively costly one, especially considering the degraded state of other Trust assets that are in serious states of disrepair and present significant public safety risks - e.g. Moore Park Golf House. The offer to raise the funds is an honourable one but if it does really cost up to $1 million to move the kids cycleway, then that's a lot of sausage sizzles.

I am quite concerned that there appears to be a lack of transparency about the consultation process and what steps will be taken to make a final decision. I was so concerned that I called the Parklands and requested more information. I left a message but the Director of Corporate Services has chosen not to return my call. I will be making application under the Government Information (Public Access) Act 2009 for the pertinent information if I remain unsatisfied with the appearance of the consultation / decision making process. I will report to the forum any matters of interest on this front if required.

patn

Postby patn » 12 Apr 2012, 07:59

Thanks to those who wrote that for us, great submission.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 20 Apr 2012, 08:18

An update on this. A coalition of cycle clubs has been formed under the banner Cycle Centennial.

I went to a meeting on Wednesday night and have joined the organising committee. DHBC has a useful and slightly different perspective to bring because of Saturday Slowies and it's important that speak with a united voice.

No doubt, more to come.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 22 Apr 2012, 08:13

Thanks for putting together this excellent submission.

All those people in Centennial Park yesterday morning on top-of-the-range carbon time-trial bikes sure aren't doing the cause any favours. I've seen them before, being timed by those guys who hang around at the Randwick gates. If I was a hardcore athlete being timed I guess I'd get aggro at anyone who held me up, and I'd be a bit reckless with cars and pedestrians too. All at 15 kph+ over the speed limit of 30. Pretty bizarre that they'd choose to do it at precisely the moment when speed-bumps and 20kph speed limits are being considered.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 22 Apr 2012, 15:33

I'm a plus 1 here with Ted. I got passed very, very close by several riders keen to improve their time and I guess they were using me to draft behind, for whatever short period that would be. Not cool. Using the park for what is essentially 'racing' will not improve our chances of seeing off these proposed changes. Maybe they need to hire a crit track for their ITT training / timing.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 01 Sep 2012, 12:20

I went to a Cycle Centennial meeting this morning in my role as Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club President.

There are some developments to report. Of most importance is that the Centennial Park and Moore Park Trust who manage the park have been in active dialogue with representatives of Cycle Centennial and now understand sport cyclists use of the park a whole lot better. Our submissions were heard but also, great work by the sub-committee of CC that has been working very closely with them on this.

As a result there won't be speed humps or anything like that. But they do have to manage the interaction between pedestrians, especially children, and they have come up with a time based solution. We need to check this with our various club committees, but I'm thinking it looks like a good plan.

More when I've had a chance to run it by the DHBC committee and we have a solution. It is likely CC will develop a Code of Conduct that we can all sign up to.

Also - the Trust is keen to know where road hazards in the park are and welcome feedback on things that need fixing. If you see a pothole or something, tell them through their feedback form! http://www.centennialparklands.com.au/feedback

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 01 Sep 2012, 12:54

Sounds promising and collaborative. Thanks Eleri

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Sep 2012, 13:11

great stuff Eleri. Loving the new hotmix up by the cafe area. Just need to get that section from Parkes Rd to the Darley Rd gates resurfaced too ;-)

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 01 Sep 2012, 14:22

As soon as I get a PDF of the proposed plan I'll send it round to the committee.

Return to “Conversation”