Following Hannibal...on a bicycle

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 11 Jun 2010, 09:08

An ex-student of mine, together with his brothers, has made a documentary for BBC4 following Hannibal's route from Spain into Italy. Not on elephants but on fully-loaded touring bikes. Ancient Historians will know that there are some pretty ugly hills along the way, and cyclists will be familiar with some of them too.

He's posted a clip of the group climbing Mont Ventoux:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7mKsDmDDI0

Looks like my days as the fastest red-haired archaeologist in Australian cycling may be over.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Jun 2010, 09:32

This thread needs a supplementary URL link for the less learned...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hannibal

The question is, why did Hannibal had to lead his army up to the summit of Ventoux? Was there no passage at lower elevation? Or did they all wanted a nice view from the top?

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 11 Jun 2010, 09:41

As soon as I posted that, I thought the same thing: surely they could have gone around Mont Ventoux. I'll consult the experts on the subject. They probably just went up it for fun, now that I think of it (the cyclists, not the Carthaginians), although they imply in the commentary that Hannibal's army followed the route. But there's no way around the Alps if you want to get into Italy.

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 11 Jun 2010, 10:13

I have consulted with the principals: it appears that there was a bit of, um, journalistic licence applied to the route.

Tough thing to capture on TV. Just as racing cars don't look like they're going all that fast on TV, the hills never look all that steep when you're watching cycling. The uninitiated might think that Mont Ventoux looks like a bit of a doddle.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 13 Jun 2010, 16:38

Looks like my days as the fastest red-haired archaeologist in Australian cycling may be over.
Um...hello? What about that other person in your house? You know, the one you sometimes wake up next to?

Awesome concept, following Hannibal on a bike. Even better if you can get the BBC to pay for it!

tedrobin

Postby tedrobin » 13 Jun 2010, 16:43

Um, yes. Sorry. Forgot that we are a 2-ranga household.

I've told him he has to get the BBC to fund them to ride the route of Alexander the Great's conquests. There may be a few OH&S issues, what with those pesky mujahadeen.

timyone

Postby timyone » 13 Jun 2010, 22:58

I've told him he has to get the BBC to fund them to ride the route of Alexander the Great's conquests. There may be a few OH&S issues, what with those pesky mujahadeen.
I would be so into that as a ride!!!!!

G

Postby G » 18 Jun 2010, 16:42

I would be so into that as a ride!!!!!
Me too... my language skills may come handy when negotiating with the pesky mujahedeen.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 18 Jun 2010, 16:54

can you speak Pashto?

Return to “Conversation”