Tubular Questions

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
othy

Postby othy » 31 Mar 2010, 13:08

So I am entering unknown territory here and have a few questions. Most of the basic gluing stuff I have found online. I was going to follow the park tools guide.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=101

The process seems straight forward, does anyone have advice for new players? This is for a set of road race wheels (Zipp 404).

I've already mounted and inflated the tires on the wheel without glue to stretch them. Should I just leave them like this until I've got some glue?

They are Vittoria Corsa Evo CX tubulars - which glue should I use? Is the Continental stuff fine, or should I make sure I get Vittoria glue? Or is there a better brand recommended?

Once they're glued, how should I store them - should the tires remain inflated? Let down after use?

christian

Postby christian » 31 Mar 2010, 13:25

The conti glue is fine, that's what I used on my pistas with Vitoria Pista Evos. The Corsa Evos have latex tubes, so they are going to let themselves down. So no need to let them down yourself.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 31 Mar 2010, 13:50

Imagine if you did have to store tubulars inflated. It would be a full time job owning a set of vittorias.

Tips for gluing

- Stretch them as you are at the moment

- Make sure you give you new carbon rims a scrub with sand/emery paper

- Clean them with metho after to get rid of both the carbon dust and the oil off your hands.

-Use a trainer as a wheel stand to hold the wheel as you apply the glue. This makes it so much easier than trying to hold the bloody thing in your other hand.

- You can use a paint brush to apply the glue but i find it much better to use a smallish piece of plastic bag, say the size of the palm of your hand. I think wrap the plastic around on of my fingers, and sercure with an elastic band. I find using your finger much more accurate and you can also apply more glue at a time.

- When you do the final layer of the glue and are ready to put the tyres on, have a little bit of air in the tyre, this reduces the amount of glue you will get on the side wall.

- use your toes to hold the base of the wheel when you stretch the tyre on to the rim. Sadly you cant do this with a disc.

- As soon as you have the tyre on the rim, line it up as fast as you can. Its a real bugger if the tyre is all over the place and you have to start again.

timyone

Postby timyone » 31 Mar 2010, 20:53

far out manb you have zips?!!!!!
nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i recomend having some one there to help with the actual putting the tyre on, me and simon always do it together or have alex there. When we used to do them we did them with brad or theo.

Alwasys 2 days of putting on new layers of glur first, then one on the tyre and one on the wheel before pulling it on.

Toff

Postby Toff » 01 Apr 2010, 15:31

I get the bike shop to do it for me for around $10 plus parts.

Glue is different for track than for road. I have used shellac on the track in the past, but these days I think most people just go for a harder road style glue. I don't even know if you can still get shellac. The stiffer the glue, the lower the rolling resistance. Stay away from tacky glues.

I did not read anything on the Park tool website about letting the glue cure for at least 24 hours before glueing the tyres to the rims. This is something I strongly recommend.

This guy describes mounting a single tyre in a similar way to how I used to do it.

Return to “Conversation”