Road cycling & upcoming rides
DAD1

Postby DAD1 » 14 Oct 2009, 12:17

Lansdowne Park Criteriums.
60-64 year
Wed 14th 0910am
David (dad1)
My very first Criterium race, kept with bunch for 3 laps dropped off pace with
3 other riders, we were then lapped, finished the race coming in 3rd last.
Lots of wind and rolling hills.
A fantastic experience and I am over the moon with the result
Next race Sat, 51k Road Race, Eastern Creek.
Looking forward to 2011 European Master Games Lignano Italy.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Oct 2009, 17:47

Congratulations David,...see that ride to Waterfall with me must have did you some good. Excellent result especially in relation to how new you are to cycling.

I might be going Saturday to Waterfall with just Stuart and I, if your interested. I will confirm Friday.

DAD1

Postby DAD1 » 14 Oct 2009, 19:00

Might be a bit difficult as I have a 0800am start for the 51k Road Race at Eastern Creek (WMG).

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 14 Oct 2009, 22:42

Well done David.

Other DHBC riders that I'm aware of that were in the crit;
- Ron
- Alex R
- Ian D
- A rider I hadn't met before, who introduced himself, but I've forgotten your name - sorry
- Mike Cl
All at Lansdowne, except Alex R who was at Dunc Gray Crit.
Everyone was in separate heats I think.

Crit Qualification Race Report
M9? - Ron
Insufficient numbers, so automatic entry to the final
M4 - Ian D
DNF with 3 laps to go, due to seat post slippage. Requested to race in another heat, but was declined.
M4? - New guy
10th - Missed Qualification by the width of a tyre
M4 - Mike Cl
Discovered his body was still smashed from yesterdays Scratch race final. Tested it out in the wind on the front straight and determined it wasn't going to sprint particularly well. Tried a couple of times to up the pace, so to break up the bunch, but had to settle for an attack on the last hill, got to the top in 7th place, picked up 6th and then got rolled, coming in 11th.

Still a pretty solid result considering how hard I smashed myself yesterday, while I didn't get to the final, I'm happy with that.

Only image I'm aware of, this one was on another fourm. I look half asleep, that's because I am :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Oct 2009, 19:11

I hear second hand that Alex R blew up after 4 laps at Dunc Gray Crit in Crit qualification. As you will note from the World Masters Track thread, Alex was in the Scratch finals and hearing how he went in the crit really shows how hard it was to back up crit qualification after being in the track scratch finals the previous evening.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Oct 2009, 19:46

In the crit, I tried to drive up the pace a couple of times, to split the field, as I didn't feel I was good for a sprint finish. Looking at this photo, I might have dropped some riders, but not enough :)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Oct 2009, 20:22

TT M4 results
Ian Decker 28th 36.20kph 31:29.64
Michael Clement 29th 35.97kph 31:41.77

Conditions were windy, I paced myself, as my primary goal was recovery for the road race on Saturday, I suspect that Ian did similar.

Some photos of Ian, with his new helmet and clipons

Ian took some photo's of me, but we couldn't figure out how to get them out of his phone. However some mates of mine were there taking photo's

I knew I hadn't came last at this point as I'd overtaken someone :)

What the heck, get out of the seat to finish

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Oct 2009, 20:22

What proportion of the riders are from overseas?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 15 Oct 2009, 20:29

What proportion of the riders are from overseas?
M4 TT Results

timyone

Postby timyone » 15 Oct 2009, 22:13

great riding!!! good to see every one competing!

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 15 Oct 2009, 22:19

who's Jan decker :D

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 17 Oct 2009, 15:10

Road Race Report
M2 - Alex R
M4 - Jonathon, Mike Cl, Ian Decker and the mystery rider, who I still don't know the name of.
M9? - Ron

Results show Alex R as a DNS, don't know why he didn't start.

M9
Saw Ron circulating by himself, I don't know if that was a good sign or a bad sign.

M4 - 70k (7 1/2 laps)
While there were 128 riders entered, 100 actually raced. What's the #1 rule of such a big bunch... "don't get near the back" and guess what.... there was a split and we were all caught out. All 4 of us had a crack at jumping the gap, but it whittled down to Ian and I and then just me. I got within 25 - 30 metres but didn't get on.

So there was about 50 riders ahead of us, the 5 of us in no mans land and a bunch of about 15 riders behind and eventually this bunch caught us. Good we can work with the bunch... but only a some of the riders knew what to do, several attempts to get a pace line running simply failed and in the end we were too far behind to do anything about it and we just cruised, finishing 45th in 1h 58m ave36kph, 9 minutes behind the winner, the Russian, 8 minutes behind the front pack.

However things were worse in the pack behind, my mate from Penrith was in it and tried to organise it, but he had riders who never done a race, they finished 3 minutes behind and could of easily caught us if they were organised.

Post Morton
If I had kept to my guns and stayed near the front early, I feel that I could of easily ran with that pack, but that's racing.

BTW Tomorrow Ron is in the final of the Crits

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Oct 2009, 16:18

So you managed to drop 55 riders and 44 riders dropped you. Nice one! :D

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 19 Oct 2009, 20:45

M5 Road Race, Saturday, 17 October
Distance 70.4 kms, 7 and part laps
Start list was about 120 but 93 started, 16 abandon and 73 finished
Placing 53rd, only DHBC person in the race.

It was my first trip to Eastern Creek for anything. Down on the start line it was very calm and warm. The atmosphere was more like a bit club race than an international event. I had a moment of panic before the start as one of my bar ends had popped out and the Commissionaires were not going to let me start. However some gaffer tape was found and I rolled on to the warm-up.

I can’t report much about the race as the wind out on the course was really strong. I assume it was a south westerly but it was hard to tell. On the climbs on the race track is was a strong head wind and on the drag way it was a strong cross wind.

As always seems to be my fate I started towards the back and by the time we got to the first climb the field was getting strung out. I can report on the actually race as I finished about 20 to 25 minutes after the front runners.

I was pleased with my ride and in particular how I seemed to make ground on a number of riders going up the hills!

Overall a very enjoyable experience with a small crowd who seem to support everyone and I even got calls of go Dulwich Hill. I also had a couple of riders comment that they has seen a few DHBC riders at the track and crits.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Oct 2009, 21:00

Hey Michael, didn't know you were out there. Great riding mate

Return to “Road”