Photo Posting and Copyright

Club News and Announcements
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Jul 2009, 15:15

IMPORTANT COPYRIGHT NOTICE:
Shots off the Action Snaps or any other professional photographers site are copyright. I'm sure David Lane of Action Snaps likes the advertising but would probably like the $$ more. I have spoken to David and he's very understanding but I would like to uphold proper intellectual property rights on this forum.

We must (legally) make a distinction between linking to a photo you don't own that's already on the web (i.e. in the public domain) and downloading a copyright photo and then uploading the same photo to another photo site (like photobucket) and linking to it. Without meaning to single anyone out as there are multiple offenders (probably including myself in the past), if you don't get what I mean, below are the properties of two photos linked to on the forum and you'll see the difference.

BAD = http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc10 ... 3748-1.jpg

GOOD = http://www.actionsnaps.com.au/images/zo ... c_3612.jpg

Can all posters please be aware of this difference and act accordingly. Please Do NOT download copyrighted photo's and then link to them on this site (in Action Snaps case, it's pretty obvious, there's a huge watermark C in a circle in the middle of the shot and the file name).

In future I will be DELETING all posts that contravene this standard.

Furthermore, If you link to a photo from any copyrighted photo site, please place a link to the photographers site in your post - its common courtesy - they're trying to make a living!

If you purchased the photo from Action Snaps then it's fine to link to it from another site but a nod to David and his site wouldn't go astray. For other photographers, please check before you post.

*** End Webmaster Transmission ***
Last edited by Stuart on 15 Jul 2009, 15:40, edited 3 times in total.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 15 Jul 2009, 15:23

Be careful even after you have purchased the photograph. I know that I purchased one after last years Spring Cycle and it came with a copyright disclaimer.

Often when you purchase an image from a professional photographer, they still own the copyright, it may be timed (i.e. 12 months), but you are not free to publish it. Make sure that you read the fine print even after purchasing a picture, especially if you want to publish it on a site like ours.

James

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Jul 2009, 15:35

Be careful even after you have purchased the photograph. I know that I purchased one after last years Spring Cycle and it came with a copyright disclaimer.

Often when you purchase an image from a professional photographer, they still own the copyright, it may be timed (i.e. 12 months), but you are not free to publish it. Make sure that you read the fine print even after purchasing a picture, especially if you want to publish it on a site like ours.
James
Absolutely correct James - I should have said "For Action Snaps Photos" (and I've edited the post accordingly) as David has agreed that after purchase photo's may be linked to but an acknowledgment of the photos origin would be appreciated. Always best to check with the photographer in question BEFORE you post. Most sites have a copyright disclaimer link.
Last edited by Stuart on 15 Jul 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 15:37

Drastic Photoshopping may render those pixels un-copyrightable. :lol:

othy

Postby othy » 15 Jul 2009, 15:48

Good is not good. The reason people use an image hosting service, is because it is considered poor form to hotlink an image without permission from someones server. This uses their bandwidth everytime the page is viewed, and on more popular sites can cause significant cost to the owner.

There has been many an incident where someone will configure their web server to display offensive images in place of hotlinked ones.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Jul 2009, 15:52

Good is not good. The reason people use an image hosting service, is because it is considered poor form to hotlink an image without permission from someones server. This uses their bandwidth every time the page is viewed, and on more popular sites can cause significant cost to the owner.
There has been many an incident where someone will configure their web server to display offensive images in place of hotlinked ones.
This type of action; someone will configure their web server to display offensive images in place of hotlinked ones may be so in the world of standard images but very unlikely in the world of professional cycling photos where traffic is minimal and photographers may indeed benefit from the photos being on forums if correctly acknowledged.

Really, if you want a photo of your cycling prowess to show the world - BUY IT and keep the photographers in a job and these great shots coming.

BTW this does not change the website policy - if you download and then link to a copyrighted photo, your post and all posts that quote that post with the photo in it will be deleted.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Jul 2009, 17:06

="StuartReally, if you want a photo of your cycling prowess to show the world - BUY IT and keep the photographers in a job and these great shots coming.

BTW this does not change the website policy - if you download and then link to a copyrighted photo, your post and all posts that quote that post with the photo in it will be deleted.
Go Stuart Go, I hate it when he is right.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 17:24

Out of curiosity, where's our website policy? If there indeed is one published, maybe we should have it clearly linked for all to read. And I further wonder if the policy has been reviewed, debated and agreed upon within the club community?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 15 Jul 2009, 17:38

Out of curiosity, where's our website policy? If there indeed is one published, maybe we should have it clearly linked for all to read. And I further wonder if the policy has been reviewed, debated and agreed upon within the club community?
The policy regarding copyright is common sense and legally, we should comply with standard Internet norms. There is no policy, as I'm sure you're aware Weiyun. Lets not make a song and dance about this.

I'm thinking that as the Webmaster - you will respect my authoritah!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 18:10

The policy regarding copyright is common sense and legally, we should comply with standard Internet norms. There is no policy, as I'm sure you're aware Weiyun. Lets not make a song and dance about this.

I'm thinking that as the Webmaster - you will respect my authoritah!
It indeed is true there's common sense involved when it comes to referencing copyright materials. However I object to that "you will respect my authority" line... Unless you are being funny there.

Since you stated there's a policy, then it should have been made available for all to see. If not, then it would have been much more palatable to all if you explained it and referenced your role. (Actually, I wasn't aware if we have or not have a written policy. I actually clicked around our site/forum and did a Google site search and came up with nothing.)

However, given this is a communal club web site as opposed to a private personal site, I think issues like this should be presented and discussed by at least a group if not the general club community before implementation. The result may be the same but the process would be much more in keeping with an inclusive club atmosphere.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 15 Jul 2009, 18:29

Since you stated there's a policy, then it should have been made available for all to see. If not, then it would have been much more palatable to all if you explained it and referenced your role.

However, given this is a communal club web site as opposed to a private personal site, I think issues like this should be presented and discussed by at least a group if not the general club community before implementation. The result may be the same but the process would be much more in keeping with an inclusive club atmosphere.
Hi Guys,

I work in the Graphic Art Industry and commonly deal with image / talent rights and copyright - Stuart is right on the money. There really is no need to present this and put it further for discussion, the law of copyright is black and white. You can't use these images unless you pay for them and photographers could if they wish seek legal action - and in my industry this has happened many times.

I don't believe Stuart is trying to exclude anyone from the process - it's the right thing to do as a club and to the photographers that promote us. We could have got away with this when our club was smaller, but the site has so many hits now and we should be doing things above board. Again - in the past Stuart and I have posted up photos so ourselves were culprits.

That said - lets just close it off - there was no intent to be the authoritarian, but given he is the webmaster there are some calls that he has the right to make.
Last edited by Trouty on 16 Jul 2009, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 15 Jul 2009, 22:23

Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club - Registration Agreement Terms

While the administrators and moderators of this forum will attempt to remove or edit any generally objectionable material as quickly as possible, it is impossible to review every message. Therefore you acknowledge that all posts made to these forums express the views and opinions of the author and not the administrators, moderators or webmaster (except for posts by these people) and hence will not be held liable.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-oriented or any other material that may violate any applicable laws. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned (and your service provider being informed). The IP address of all posts is recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that the webmaster, administrator and moderators of this forum have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should they see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered above being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent the webmaster, administrator and moderators cannot be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

This forum system uses cookies to store information on your local computer. These cookies do not contain any of the information you have entered above; they serve only to improve your viewing pleasure. The e-mail address is used only for confirming your registration details and password (and for sending new passwords should you forget your current one).

By clicking Register below you agree to be bound by these conditions.

I Agree to these terms and am over or exactly 13 years of age

I Agree to these terms and am under 13 years of age

I do not agree to these terms

http://www.dhbc.org.au/forum/profile.ph ... 37e618bacf

(All registered users of the forum will have read the web use policy and accepted these terms and conditions)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 22:40

Geoff, how did you gain access to that page? I thought about it when I searched but couldn't find the link by following any of the visible links on our site. Unless I missed it, I think we should have that paged link in the FAQ section.

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 15 Jul 2009, 22:47

Geoff, how did you gain access to that page? I thought about it when I searched but couldn't find the link by following any of the visible links on our site. Unless I missed it, I think we should have that paged link in the FAQ section.
When you are logged in under your password I don't think it shows up. But if you are not logged in, and go to the membership section, and proceed to join up, this website use policy appears before one can become a member.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 15 Jul 2009, 23:02

When you are logged in under your password I don't think it shows up. But if you are not logged in, and go to the membership section, and proceed to join up, this website use policy appears before one can become a member.
Ok. Maybe we can add a link to the FAQ section to remind the existing members.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Jul 2009, 08:54

It indeed is true there's common sense involved when it comes to referencing copyright materials. However I object to that "you will respect my authority" line... Unless you are being funny there.
As the referenced link is to a South Park segment where 8 year old Cartman becomes a cop and uses the line "you will respect my authoritah" continuously, mostly while hitting people, t's a fair bet it was tongue in cheek .....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 16 Jul 2009, 10:23

Good to know then. ;)

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2009, 20:16

So does this mean that I can no longer call Stuart & Geoff M Nazi's and I can no longer post pictures of Tim L's behind :wink:

What about those photos of I have of the girls lurking in the boys toilet at Tempe Velodrome?

Jokes aside, when linking to commercial web sites selling photo's such as Action Snaps, I usually (when I remember) put a link to the site as well, so to acknowledge the availability of the photo's from which I have sampled.

Return to “News and Announcements”