Slowies RNP: 2nd Sun of Mth - 13 Dec 5:45am

Road cycling & upcoming rides
weiyun

Postby weiyun » 06 Jul 2009, 09:59

Due to personal commitments this weekend, neither MichaelC nor myself are available this Sun to assist with this group. We apologise for this. So unless some experienced rider can come out to assist, we will have to cancel this ride on Sun 12th July.

Any takers willing to assist?

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 06 Jul 2009, 10:42

I had the ride very heavily pencilled in. Not sure if I'm qualified to lead though. I'm sure we can find someone.

orphic

Postby orphic » 06 Jul 2009, 10:43

I'm pretty keen to do RNP this week if anyone can... Or at least extend the Waterfall ride in some form.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 08 Jul 2009, 15:22

Jo & I are starters which means that a very SLOW slowie (i.e. me) will be attending. You're not allowed to drop me too badly before we get to Waterfall (that is the easier way isn't it?). I have dibs on 2nd or 3rd wheel all the way in a single line bunch! The girls can take turns on the front - that means you Camilla, Victoria and Jo.

BTW, have they fixed the road yet?

Also, we are going to start at 6:00AM as its winter and every minute counts!

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 08 Jul 2009, 15:40

Hi guys,

Looks like only a few of us are up for slowies RNP this week as Michael and Wieyun can't make it.

Seeing this is the case we are thinking of a 6am instead of 5.45am start, as every 15 minute unit saved is 15 minutes more of being warmer in bed. Put a post up if you are in.

Camilla

Postby Camilla » 08 Jul 2009, 16:33

I'm there. And loving the extra 15 minutes in bed.

I was under the impression it's easiest to go in at Waterfall and out at Loftus? I've never done it the other way in fact. I did a RNP ride a few weeks ago and there's still a gravel section but it's not too long and fine to ride on. They're doing the road up bit by bit. The new surface is fantastic.

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Jul 2009, 16:57

Sounds good. Especially the extra 15 minutes sleep ;)

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 08 Jul 2009, 18:05

Count me in. I've done it a couple of times, but it must be a little like childbirth 'cos you forget how much it hurts! - Ian

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Jul 2009, 18:19

Good that "S... Coach" is in. You guys will be in good hands. ;)

Mike and I discussed yesterday and wondered if Jo/Camilla/Amy can lead it? Good that you guys have it sorted already.

Parts of the main loop in RNP have been resurfaced but it lacked lane marking when we went in last month. Further, despite the improved surface, there's a fair bit of residual gravel left over from the road work. So take care with them.

Enjoy the ride!
Last edited by weiyun on 09 Jul 2009, 20:55, edited 1 time in total.

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 09 Jul 2009, 15:08

I'm keen on RNP this Sunday too. The 6am start is a better idea for this time of year, especially after the late nights watching the TDF..

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 09 Jul 2009, 19:34

I'm keen on RNP this Sunday too. The 6am start is a better idea for this time of year, especially after the late nights watching the TDF..
Good....Anthony your nice and strong you can stay at the front.

orphic

Postby orphic » 09 Jul 2009, 19:56

Sounds like there will be sufficient people there to drag me all the way ;) I'll be fighting Stuart for second wheel. Hehe.

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 Jul 2009, 21:04

dress warm..

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 09 Jul 2009, 21:18

and wear long gloves!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 10 Jul 2009, 09:29

Temperature drop going down into those RNP valleys is significant and can often be 4-5 deg C. efinitely dress warmly and bring plenty of energy supplements eg. Chocolate bar.

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 10 Jul 2009, 13:22

Jeez Jo, I was hoping to follow you!

After seeing those photos of how easy you were conquering Ventoux, I figured the RNP would be a stroll in the park for you.. :)

MarkG

Postby MarkG » 11 Jul 2009, 16:17

I'm keen to come along as well. As to which way around to do it. Depends if you are up for a shorter gut busting ride up artillery hill going in from Loftus (did it for the first time with Weiyun and others a few weeks ago, nearly killed me) or the longer but somewhat easier pull up the hill after the drop down from Waterfall. Either way it's fun - once its over! See you all at 6am.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Jul 2009, 16:36

I'm keen to come along as well. As to which way around to do it. Depends if you are up for a shorter gut busting ride up artillery hill going in from Loftus (did it for the first time with Weiyun and others a few weeks ago, nearly killed me) or the longer but somewhat easier pull up the hill after the drop down from Waterfall. Either way it's fun - once its over! See you all at 6am.
I would strongly suggest that the Slowies RNP officially stays with Waterfall->Audley routing, unless the participating riders are all keen on extra pain on the day. ;)

Apart from Artillery Hill, the climb out of Waterfall is another serious challenge if you do Audley -> Waterfall. And then you'll need to do the long ride on Princes Hwy back to Sutherland with sore legs.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jul 2009, 12:29

Well, today's ride was really a middies RNP and I got dropped on Kings Way (twice). After I got back on got dropped again on the Princes Hwy - we were averaging 26.7 at Sutherland - too fast for slowies! Ron got dropped as well.

I think we need to reiterate that this is supposed to be a SLOWIES ride so that slowies get a chance to do some hills, not a chance for middies to to RNP without the fasties! That means we ride out SLOW, at the pace of a normal slowies group i.e. 22-23kph average. Maybe we need a 3rd RNP group for the middies?

Anyway, I enjoyed my ITT to Waterfall and back.

micklan

Postby micklan » 12 Jul 2009, 14:24

OK I saw Ron (Sutho Park) coming back, then yourself Stuart up on the highway. We had very few riders in 6.30 group today, with two new guys and Alan & James M coming along

How many riders did RNP?

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Jul 2009, 16:59

[wiggling finger]Hey, its suppose to be a no drop ride[/wiggling finger]

christian

Postby christian » 12 Jul 2009, 18:37

I know its meant to be a no drop ride, and I was prepared to back everyone off so we didn't drop Ron and Stuart. They both said to leave them behind. As for the speed, what is the average speed of the slow bunch meant to be, I though it was 25-27km/h?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jul 2009, 19:15

I know its meant to be a no drop ride, and I was prepared to back everyone off so we didn't drop Ron and Stuart. They both said to leave them behind. As for the speed, what is the average speed of the slow bunch meant to be, I though it was 25-27km/h?
First up, I would like to say thanks to Christian for putting his hand up to guide the ride.

Christian also did indeed offer to try to slow the bunch to let me stay with them but as I was the only one who couldn't stay on (after Ron had been dropped) I said go ahead. Still, Christian had also asked the lead riders to slow down twice before, but the pace only dropped for 500m or so and then back up it went. 22-23kph up Kingsway is too fast for a fat slowie like me when the slowies would normally be doing about 18kph.

As for the normal slowies pace, the average for the whole Waterfall ride is indeed 25-27kph BUT, and this is big BUT, on the way out to Waterfall we go slow, at around 23kph average and make up the rest on the way back. Maybe that is not clear to the riders who don't normally see the slowies, except as they flash past!

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 13 Jul 2009, 00:32

As per Mick's question p7, 12 started the RNP ride. Less 2 drops, 10 finished.

As per stu's comment that it was a middies ride, I tend to concur in that when i have ridden with the middies, there is usually a concerted acceleration up the hill at Kiora Rd, just before Kingsway, and then the pace increases. This drops everyone who can't hang on after the long hill climb.

The ponies couldn't learn any new tricks and exactly the same scenario played out.

The lead was asked to slow down three times in fact, but didn't. I think there was a lack of respect for Christian shown.

Stu was magnanimous in not making an issue of it, but it must have been a bit galling.

Christian did a great job overall and looked after everyone very well, but the fact is that there were only three or four of the group who actually ride with slowies.

Personally, I got a lot out of it as I was pushed well out of my comfort zone and was surprised at the amount of power I was able to sustain, which made it a very positive training experience for me and really what the whole ride is about.

We probably need just a little debate about how to keep the ride a positive experience for everyone.

Ian

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 01:22

Was Jo in the bunch?

One thing to be said though, Slowies RNP is meant to be a step up from regular Cruisers and participant should expect the ride to be a tad tougher, although we have typically adjusted pace to suit the group of the day. Just yell out. And if you are finding Kingsway hill to be excessive at a slightly higher pace than regular Cruisers, then I would predict the hills in RNP will really strain. Also note that the time schedule of leavng at 5:45 was calculated to get the bunch to rejoin the regular Waterfall bunch at 7-11, although we've been mostly late due to various delays.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Jul 2009, 11:12

Was Jo in the bunch?
One thing to be said though, Slowies RNP is meant to be a step up from regular Cruisers and participant should expect the ride to be a tad tougher, although we have typically adjusted pace to suit the group of the day. Just yell out. And if you are finding Kingsway hill to be excessive at a slightly higher pace than regular Cruisers, then I would predict the hills in RNP will really strain. Also note that the time schedule of leaving at 5:45 was calculated to get the bunch to rejoin the regular Waterfall bunch at 7-11, although we've been mostly late due to various delays.
Yes Jo was in the bunch.
I understood that it was cruisers with hills but I'm obviously not up to the required fitness levels for this ride. I'll not be going on it again unless I gain lots of extra fitness, a situation unlikely to happen any time soon!

Maybe this ride needs a name change then?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 12:10

Yes Jo was in the bunch.
I understood that it was cruisers with hills but I'm obviously not up to the required fitness levels for this ride. I'll not be going on it again unless I gain lots of extra fitness, a situation unlikely to happen any time soon!

Maybe this ride needs a name change then?
I wasn't there, nor Mike, so I was just talking in general. Based on past rides, we have not dropped anyone unless it was a voluntary decision by the rider. If a rider is keen, we have never left anyone behind. Typically one of us led and controlled the pace while another swept. Situation may have been a bit more difficult given Christian was by himself and have not conducted this ride before. Based on what I have seen, if one struggles with Kingsway, then the RNP hills will really get you. Not because of the pace of other riders on those climbs but by the steepness.

As for the name, that was relative to "Fasties RNP". Similarly, not all "Fasties" can keep pace on "Fasties RNP". ;)

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Jul 2009, 12:33

OK, I did some playing on Map My Ride, and I came up with some figures.

From what I have seen, the group tends to arrive at the Sutherland Servo at about 8:30am, if I am wrong, let me know and I will adjust my figures. That gives the group 2 hours, 45 minutes (5:45am leave) to cover about 69km. So you need to do a 25km/hr average. That isn't the same as your cycling average. Most bike computers stop the clock when you stop. This is an absolute average, so if you stop riding (lights, regroup etc), then the clock is still ticking.

Here are the times that you need to be leaving particular spots along the way.

5:45am - Depart Marrickville (0 km)
6:43am - Pass Sutherland Servo (24.16 km)
7:18am - Pass Waterfall Station Carpark (38.93 km)
7:40am - Leave Garie Beach Turnoff (47.97 km)
8:05am - Leave Flat Rock Creek Climb Regroup Point (58.50 km)
8:16am - Cross Audley Weir (63.29 km)
8:30am - Arrive at Sutherland Servo (69.28 km)

Now, this is where life gets really fun...

The run along General Holmes Drive will obviously be slightly quicker, as will the run from the Garie Beach turnoff, to the bottom of Flat Rock Creek. But, the run from the Waterfall Station Carkpark to the Garie Beach Turnoff will be slower, so you can make the cut off to Waterfall Station Carpark, miss the Garie Beach Turnoff, and then make the cut off to Flack Rock Creek Climb regroup.

This is only a guide, but it may assist in trying to work out what times you should be where. You may want to do a run through the park, with these times in mind, and see how close you actually run.

btw: if the ride leaders are pushing the pace too high, get them to ride a week earlier and later, that way they can join the fast group :D

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 12:48

Thanks James! Can always count on you for hard numbers.

But as was your experience when you co-led, delays are typically caused by more extended rests and/or slowing for someone who is struggling. So one just have to be flexible in terms of time.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Jul 2009, 13:38

Those times are designed to be a guide, if you aim to get to Waterfall in say 90 minutes from leaving Marrickville, then you are on track, you may have to stop for 5 minutes on the way, and so you are only cycling for 85 of those minutes.

The average of 25km/hr is for if you are always moving, which we know isn't the case. So your real speed will probably have to be higher. If you factor in say 15 minutes total of regroup and stopping time, then your average speed has to be 27km/hr. And that will be your average as per your bike computer.

James

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jul 2009, 17:58

Hi all,

Yes I was there, I found the ride to be a push and enjoyed it, but managed to keep up. Every one waited at designated points at the hills within RNP without issue, it was more the trip up.

On the way up to Waterfall, there were times I instructed people to slow down as the back of the group were breaking up. They did slow down, but picked up pace a short time later. I think that was not done out of disrespect for what I or Christian asked, but when the majority of riders are going this pace, this just happens automatically. If the slower guys made it to waterfall, a few of us (Michelle, Ian and myself) were more than willing to break away from the group and ride with the slower people if they wanted to continue. They chose not to and volunteered to exit.

I guess there was confusion as when we posted up this ride, there were only a few takers that said they were coming and most of them I knew were going to be happy with taking the ride at a much slower pace. This is the reason Ron and Stuart decided to come. When we got there there were obviously a lot more riders that were not really slowies.

Again - we struggle in this transition group as it is hard to balance this ride to benefit the slowies and at the same time riders that have surpassed that definition. I think the slowies that were dropped could have made the whole trip no problem, but they need to be able to do it at their pace and not struggle to stay on a pace bunch on the way up.

Next time we could have 2 groups go up (Slowies and transition) but we just need some volunteers to help. I was really happy to ride with this faster bunch on the weekend , but I also understand the frustration of people that get dropped and want to do the ride.

Thanks again to CHristian who volunteered his time to lead the ride........even if he did seem a bit hungover!

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Jul 2009, 18:18

There is a simple way for the stronger riders to take part in the ride, challenge themselves, and make sure that no one gets dropped.

On the flats, ride in the middle or the back of the bunch.

On the hills, race them like there is no tomorrow.

I did this when I rode with the group. I sat at the back, because I knew that if I was on the front, I would ride at a faster pace, but when it got to the hills, I moved to the front so I could descend at my own speed, waited at the bottom and counted the riders through, and then took off up the hill at speed. It gave me a good hill workout, and I didn't annoy anyone by riding it at a faster pace.

How do others feel about trying to run these rides like this?

James

micklan

Postby micklan » 13 Jul 2009, 18:27

I was thinking of coming along for that RNP ride, for the hills practice...but in the end went with the middies of 7
Maybe the times quoted on the website are not so sustainable in winter - numbers wise?
Alan, Anthony and James M, left the middies of 7, at pace, after Sutherland climb to highway (you know the one) - I stayed with the two new riders, kinda out of forced choice = dropped
We got back to the 7/11 and I said there you go - Av 30kmph. They remarked: "well...thats what the DHBC web site quoted" :D

christian

Postby christian » 13 Jul 2009, 18:44

Thats a good suggestion James. I didn't spend that much time on the front on the way out, since it was a slowies ride. Through the park a rode with the back people, so I got to take it fairly easy. I will admit that I pushed the pace a bit for the half of the return trip where I was on the front, I was cold, it was starting to rain and I wanted to get back.

There was a bit of a performance gap between the slower and faster riders on the day, some of them may want to try the fast RNP ride. Its better to get spat out the back of a bunch that is beyond you then to just sit on the front of a bunch thats not a challenge.

And I wasn't really all that hung over, I was really tired, I did it on 2 hours sleep.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jul 2009, 19:03

I will admit that I pushed the pace a bit for the half of the return trip where I was on the front, I was cold, it was starting to rain and I wanted to get back.

....And I wasn't really all that hung over, I was really tired, I did it on 2 hours sleep.
I thought the pace back was fine, as it was getting cold. It is more the pace going up that riders seem to struggle with.

Hungover, lack of sleep......what kind of example is that for our leader?

Oh - also I think James suggestion is great

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 20:27

My suggestion and experience is for the ride leader to hold the front and control the pace. The extra load of the lead rider should compensate for the slower pace. Pace problem starts when the lead position is passed to riders who aren't conscious of it.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 20:29

I thought the pace back was fine...
Said by a rider who flys at 40+km/h with the RBCC bunch on Grand Pde. :lol:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Jul 2009, 21:23

Said by a rider who flys at 40+km/h with the RBCC bunch on Grand Pde. :lol:
That was a while ago when I was fit. Pre Europe.

I was too scared to hold the front position in case I got dropped (which happened in the last middies ride I went on 2 weeks ago. I was dropped at the very early and embarrassing stage of Dolls Point, and I was at the back drafting !! I haven't recovered from that trauma yet.

I may have to relegate myself back to the slowies.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 13 Jul 2009, 22:13

Based on what I have seen, if one struggles with Kingsway, then the RNP hills will really get you. Not because of the pace of other riders on those climbs but by the steepness.
Well, on our recent holiday in France I certainly managed to ride up much steeper and way, way longer climbs than those in the RNP - I just do them slowly - Mt Ventoux anyone?

So, it was more the pace on the approach ride that got me - maybe I just couldn't be bothered to ride that hard as I knew I would most probably hit the wall as a result and anyway, I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm not a racer, I'm a cruiser.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Jul 2009, 22:57

Well, on our recent holiday in France I certainly managed to ride up much steeper and way, way longer climbs than those in the RNP - I just do them slowly - Mt Ventoux anyone?

So, it was more the pace on the approach ride that got me - maybe I just couldn't be bothered to ride that hard as I knew I would most probably hit the wall as a result and anyway, I wouldn't enjoy it. I'm not a racer, I'm a cruiser.
I wouldn't call Mt Ventoux "much steeper" than RNP. According to published data, it hits a max of 10.5% grade, no more than what RNP hills offer (up to 12% in the last 700m towards Waterfall, 8-11% climbing out Audley towards Sutherland. The rough road surface along the loop doesn't help either). But yes, you know yourself best. Given the intensity on Kingsway with the lower gradient, RNP hills will just exacerbate the stress by a magnitude. The RNP hills are well know to induce cramps in those who aren't used to hill climbs...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Jul 2009, 12:35

I wouldn't call Mt Ventoux "much steeper" than RNP. According to published data, it hits a max of 10.5% grade, no more than what RNP hills offer (up to 12% in the last 700m towards Waterfall, 8-11% climbing out Audley towards Sutherland. The rough road surface along the loop doesn't help either).
OK you win - Mt Ventoux max gradient from the Sault side is 10% but the climbing goes for 26k's.

http://www.grenoblecycling.com/MontVentoux.htm

I also managed to get up other cols with 15k's of climbing at up to about 9%. Still, point taken, I won't be coming on this ride again so nobody needs to take a real slowie into account. I still think that the ride name needs changing though!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Jul 2009, 12:47

So Stuart, how did you find Mt Ventoux? What gearing did you have for the 26km climb?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 14 Jul 2009, 13:48

So Stuart, how did you find Mt Ventoux? What gearing did you have for the 26km climb?
I found it easier than last year - 40 mins faster. I had a Trek 1.2 triple chain ring road bike. The chain rings are 50, 39, 30 with an 8 speed cassette of 11-26 but I couldn't change into the lowest gear due to the crap condition of the hire bike.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Jul 2009, 15:43

I won't be coming on this ride again so nobody needs to take a real slowie into account. I still think that the ride name needs changing though!
I will be happy to lead a REAL SLOWIES ride to RNP, and I am sure I can get some help from Stuart and some other people. If there are other slowies that really want to give it a go (and are not yet up to the middies pace), we can easily put another post up or people can log their interest and we can organise it on the same day as the usual MIDDIES RNP. We are a big enough club that we should be able to cater for those that are doing waterfall slowies and want to do some thing harder. We have heaps of accredited resource within the club now, and people willing to help.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 19 Jul 2009, 20:02

Well that clears that up, so the riders wern't actually dropped, the decided to part company with the group.

Thanks for taking them out Christian

Rodney

Postby Rodney » 03 Aug 2009, 23:01

I'll be in for this Sunday 9th August.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 04 Aug 2009, 11:24

Unless participants have other desires, this month's ride will be the traditional Waterfall -> Audley loop.

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Aug 2009, 12:15

Unless participants have other desires, this month's ride will be the traditional Waterfall -> Audley loop.
I'm out this week.......got to see a man about a bike.

Ride hard slowies, or middies, or slow middies or fast slowies.....whatever you all are.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Aug 2009, 19:25

Sun forecast: Fine and sunny 6-19 deg C.

Should be a lovely ride but just make sure you dress warmly as there'll be a few deg temp drop at the bottom of the valley. We won't make any significant stops there to avoid the chill.

paul

Postby paul » 08 Aug 2009, 19:39

Plan to give this a go this week.

Paul

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 08 Aug 2009, 23:28

See you guys/gals in 6 hours :shock:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 11:15

Lovely freezing ride! I have never been that cold whilst going down Waterfall Hill, not even when skiing in Nth America. JamesC obviously knows a thing or two about what can be expected on a day like this.

Otherwise great attendance of 8 brave riders. The 10km solo chase in the first part of the ride was no fun and thanks for giving me a break by Capt Cook Br. Ouch!
Last edited by weiyun on 09 Aug 2009, 12:36, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Aug 2009, 11:50

Great riding guys/gal, I saw it was a faster group than normal, so I put you to a couple challenges;
- hang on to the fasties for a bit of General Homes, until we had to slow and regroup
- paceline training (twice)
- riding past you on the last hill, challenged those with a bit left in reserve to unleash it

Pace will always depend on who is attending, but everyone can challenge themselves on the hills.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 12:34

During the ride, a little bird whispered that we should schedule a Waterfall -> Helensburg -> Waterfall loop for this ride at some point. :wink:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 12:39

Great riding guys/gal, I saw it was a faster group than normal, so I put you to a couple challenges;
- hang on to the fasties for a bit of General Homes, until we had to slow and regroup...
I wondered why the bunch of flashing red lights was disappearing further and further away despite a reasonable pace on my part. So it was you Mike! :twisted:

paul

Postby paul » 09 Aug 2009, 15:10

Excellent ride - and I agree about the freezing descent into the park. I must get some winter gloves with full fingers.

Thanks to the ride leaders.

Paul

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Aug 2009, 15:43

I wondered why the bunch of flashing red lights was disappearing further and further away despite a reasonable pace on my part. So it was you Mike! :twisted:
Pity that Geoff M's evil plan was foiled by a red light.

Excellent ride - and I agree about the freezing descent into the park. I must get some winter gloves with full fingers.

Thanks to the ride leaders.

Paul
Great to have you on the ride Paul and great riding :)

timyone

Postby timyone » 09 Aug 2009, 16:07

man we were going way faster, but kept getting caught by you lot at every lights!?!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 16:16

Pity that Geoff M's evil plan was foiled by a red light.
Just one? I had every possible red light along the chase route and won't elaborate further for fear of incriminating myself. :twisted:
Last edited by weiyun on 09 Aug 2009, 17:24, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Aug 2009, 16:23

man we were going way faster, but kept getting caught by you lot at every lights!?!
The traffic light gods were giving pity on the RNP slowies

Just one? I had every possible re light along the chase route and won't elaborate further for fear of incriminating myself. :twisted:
We slowed up when we realised we have 500mtrs on you

AnthonyI

Postby AnthonyI » 09 Aug 2009, 16:30

Good hard ride today, although I was left running on empty in the last 10km's. It was probably the fastest 'slowie' ride I've done, and it was a good challenge.

Thanks to Mike and Weiyun for guiding us through!

micklan

Postby micklan » 09 Aug 2009, 17:27

Syd airport reading 5.30 am:
temp 5.4
apparent 0.4

Lucas Heights reading 7.15am:
temp 2.6
apparent -1.8

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 17:32

We slowed up when we realised we have 500mtrs on you
Just did a more detailed calc and the solo chase was 11.8km. Anyway, it fully softened me for the RNP and maybe I should thank you guys for the extra training benefits. 8)

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 17:33

Good hard ride today, although I was left running on empty in the last 10km's. It was probably the fastest 'slowie' ride I've done, and it was a good challenge.

It won't be long before you'll be used to it and wanting more speed.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 09 Aug 2009, 18:24

Hey Anthony, the cramps on Captain Cook bridge show how hard you challenging yourself, put the rest of us to shame. Well done mate

Rodney

Postby Rodney » 09 Aug 2009, 18:48

Sorry I couldn't make it after saying I would. I managed to get food poisoning Friday night from Wagamama seafood. I was still throwing up Saturday morning. Couldn't eat a thing until Sat afternoon. I hope to make the next ride.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 09 Aug 2009, 18:54

Lucas Heights reading 7.15am:
temp 2.6
apparent -1.8
Thanks for the info.

Add the wind chill of descending at 60km/h and it sure made this ride a most unforgettable one. :roll:

geoff m

Postby geoff m » 09 Aug 2009, 22:11

Thanks for the info.

Add the wind chill of descending at 60km/h and it sure made this ride a most unforgettable one. :roll:
I pulled out my warmest winter wear for the first time this year and was all rugged up. So much so, that only my face was left exposed.

So riding into the RNP valley, my head was so cold, I started to get something like an 'icecream' headache on my forehead.

I've never known so many riders so keen to climb the next hill at the bottom, to warm up (and warm up we did).

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Sep 2009, 09:59

It's that time of the month again.

Your hosts (MikeC and myself) have decided that we'll introduce another route variation this month for this ride: Waterfall in, Otford, Stanwell Tops and then return via the Princes Hwy to Sutherland. The climb out to Otford is less demanding (5-6%) than some of those other hills in the RNP, but the route is a tad longer and you'll be able to put up the pace a bit more on the climb. MikeC will be doing this ride fixed and it's your chance to attack him and make him suffer (he needs it in preparation for World Masters).

5:45am at the usual place and see you there!

orphic

Postby orphic » 08 Sep 2009, 10:37

Awesome, the route sounds good. I am in. Hopefully won't be quite as totalled post omnium as I was last time.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 08 Sep 2009, 14:08

As a rough guide, expect about another 12km or so.

It is a very enjoyable route, and now that it is starting to warm up down there, very nice.

Keep an eye out for Lyrebirds.

James

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Sep 2009, 14:31

Thanks for your expert commentary James.

We have plans to catch a wallaby at Stanwell Park for the mandatory group photo. Not sure about a flattened lyrebird though. :wink:

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 12 Sep 2009, 08:22

<snip> MikeC will be doing this ride fixed <snip>
Could be a good fixed ride after a week of conference food and no riding. What time do you expect to be back?

Cheers,
Alan W

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 12 Sep 2009, 09:45

What time do you expect to be back?
As was pointed out, it's an extra 15km. So I'd say still around 10.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 12 Sep 2009, 10:35

Alan, it would be great to have you come

MarkG

Postby MarkG » 12 Sep 2009, 16:22

Sounds good Weiyun, count me in. Hopefully we wont be running over any native fauna, given it's part of my job to protect them.

Mark

AntonyGreen

Postby AntonyGreen » 13 Sep 2009, 12:06

Here's the happy snap of the jolly band at Stanwell Tops. Note the windsock behind indicating the howling north-wester we're about to ride into up the hill.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 13 Sep 2009, 12:22

I left home at about 5:50am this morning, hoping to pass you along the way.

I never saw you, about half way through the park, I realised that it was highly unlikely that you were still ahead of me. I think that I must have passed you when I went through the big dipper and you must have been in Sutherland.

I ended up averaging 30.96km/hr, I couldn't quite hang onto 31 at the end.

James

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Sep 2009, 12:38

It was a gorgeous day for a ride today, and I think Wieyun, Alan & Mick did a great job controlling the large group of 20 riders (biggest number yet). There were enough middies in the group that certainly pushed the pace up in sections - but generally it was achievable to stay within in reach of them and they slowed down when required. I felt pretty good most of the way, but once I hit Grand Parade on the return, I started to feel a bit spent - and luckily a hit of the hammer gel got me back to normal. Nice day overall, although I am pretty tired now and look forward to a sleep zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Sep 2009, 13:12

Finally made it back home and here's another of our group photo at Stanwell Park. It's Wollongong and Seacliff Br in the distance.

The video clip follows and the wind noise is another good indicator of the strength of the wind there. Glad none of the CF bikes got blown down the cliff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYBUFH3BjQQ

Well, thanks to everyone who turned up at 5:45a and trust it was a fun and sufficiently challenging training ride. At maximum, we had 27 riders on the ride and experienced 4 seasons of weather. The blast of warm air as we climbed towards Stanwell Top was a big relief for the lightly kitted riders.

From an organizational point of view, it was the largest turnout we have ever had and we'll have further discussions in the coming days to address some of the issues we learnt during today's ride.

PS.
Special award to Alan who rode within human strength for once and did not blow the bunch up. :wink:

James, we had a large bunch with a wide variety of abilities and decided not to take the ultra fast big dipper in Sutherland. Further, we had to stop at the 7-11 servo to regroup as the bunch was splitting on the way up and we had to recalibrate our pace. Sorry we missed you or it could have been fun. :wink:
Last edited by weiyun on 13 Sep 2009, 13:24, edited 3 times in total.

Julio

Postby Julio » 13 Sep 2009, 14:59

Thank you very much for my friendly introduction to the group today guys. Special thanks goes to the pelaton leaders weiyan, mick and alan for keeping the group in check and to the bloke in the cheeky monkey shirt who played sheep dog after waterfall on the way back.

fenn_paddler

Postby fenn_paddler » 13 Sep 2009, 15:40

Excellent ride today. I hope Mike C is feeling a bit spent after doing it on a fixie because I certainly am! At Marrickville on I guess the 105km mark, I imagined having to do another 55 kms to match the distance of the Oct 31 Tempetation ride from Bundanoon, and I'm not sure that I would have wanted to.

Cheers,
Alan W

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Sep 2009, 17:21

Excellent ride today, we'll have to do that route again sometime.

Alan, that ride fixed is harder than the Oct 31 Temptation ride.

And only one puncture

Peter T

Postby Peter T » 13 Sep 2009, 18:27

What a ride ! Sunday morning, 5.45 am with the Right Honorable Mick Mazza flagging us off.

A hard ride for me - I'll probably never walk properly again, but the camaraderie in the bunch was fantastic.

Kindness, care, encouragement, endless hills and speed made a great day.

Big thanks to Weiyun and Mike C for putting it on and doing a remarkable job with the large group.

Thanks to Doug for the pleasure of his company on the long slog back.

And to all who braved the RNP Slowies September Suitcase of Pain, well done !!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Sep 2009, 18:34

And only one puncture
But it wasn't even a puncture! :roll:

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Sep 2009, 18:38

But it wasn't even a puncture! :roll:
So she can't claim any points?

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 13 Sep 2009, 18:50

So she can't claim any points?
There's a leak around the valve stem but we couldn't identify the puncture hole. Amy can further update.

Anyway, I don't want any points, I want to preserve my present position of 1 point.

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 13 Sep 2009, 19:35

Have to say I was impressed with Joanne, riding 12k further than everyone else :wink:

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 13 Sep 2009, 20:21

Have to say I was impressed with Joanne, riding 12k further than everyone else :wink:
Yeah....not really sure what was going on there. You would think the Garmin is pretty accurate. I sure felt like we had ridden 120km.

kiwiames

Postby kiwiames » 13 Sep 2009, 20:35

Great ride today, and thanks to Weiyun and Micklan who changed my flat. It must have been a slow one because i couldnt find anything, ive had to many flat tyres to count since april. But a good day and some nice riding.

Michael Chidgey

Postby Michael Chidgey » 13 Sep 2009, 22:02

i really enjoyed todays ride. I never seen someone spin so fast down a hill till Mike came by me going, was amazing to watch.

thanks again to Mike and Weiyun you guys has it tough with such a large bunch and did a great job of keeping it safe and enjoyable. Im looking forward to the group photos and video should be quite a laugh.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 13 Sep 2009, 22:36

Despite my 'suitcase of pain' including two legs that don't work properly any more, a 1500 watt glow from the sunburn and a blown blood vessel in the eye, I had a great ride with a great bunch of people. Thanks Mike and Weiyun, esp for keeping the young guns in hand early on and leaving some fuel in my tank for the hill climb into the westerly. It could have got ugly otherwise!

G

Postby G » 13 Sep 2009, 22:48

Why did two riders broke away and then stopped at a service station? That's very strange thing to do.

Anyways! On my way back I went straight home, left my bike and did a 10km transition run. I tried to catch you guys at marrickville cafe after the run but most of you had left. Peter thought I forgot something - and came back runninng to get it :lol: . Me was so hungry after it that I could eat a dead donkey's arse. W
Nice morning, nice ride, nice job by Weiyun and Buckingham palace :P
We should do it twice a week.

MarkL

Postby MarkL » 13 Sep 2009, 23:13

Why did two riders broke away and then stopped at a service station? That's very strange thing to do.
One of the riders was Micklan who rode ahead to clean up after riding through vomit that wasn't called or at least not passed along the bunch :shock:

Thanks Mike and Weiyun for the great ride today and a big bunch too!
I rode this route about a year ago and had forgotten how nice it is. I'll be doing this ride again :D

Cheers
Mark

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 14 Sep 2009, 06:00

One of the riders was Micklan who rode ahead to clean up after riding through vomit that wasn't called or at least not passed along the bunch :shock:
......Vomit...Noice. I promise it wasn't mine, I was feeling good at that stage.

micklan

Postby micklan » 14 Sep 2009, 07:35

Yeah just had to ride ahead and go to the servo for a rinse.

M2 chased as he thought I was going for gold, it was only BP

Great ride, - at Tempe I was surprised when I hooked up with with what was a large bunch

Thanks Weiyun & Mike
120 kms of top fun

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Sep 2009, 08:16

Yeah....not really sure what was going on there. You would think the Garmin is pretty accurate. I sure felt like we had ridden 120km.
GPS is great as long as the signal strength is good. With tree canopy in the gullies of RNP, the unit can lose signal and plot wild locations. Download your GPS track data and match it on a map and you'll see if there's a problem there. The other possibility is GPS drift when you are stationary. Over time, this can also add some significant distances to your track. Simply delete those irrelevant points to get to the truth.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Sep 2009, 08:17

Im looking forward to the group photos and video should be quite a laugh.
See the end of page 12! :wink:

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 14 Sep 2009, 08:27

M&Ms (Michael L and Chi) were sent on the attack from the very tail of the bunch to the next BP for a clean up. It was expected that the pair would have enough brute power to link back to the bunch if the bunch passes them during Michael's clean up. It worked but only made a gap of 30s which wasn't quite enough. :lol:

orphic

Postby orphic » 14 Sep 2009, 09:04

It was a great ride, even though I blew up coming out of Stanwell Tops and never quite recovered. I have since figured out I probably didn't eat enough before hand. I'm giving up on this calorie counting crap.

Anyway, I look forward to many more park rides over summer. I have a slight red glow on my arms and my legs are now more of an off white than straight white - wow! ;)

Thanks to M (which number M is Mick?) for rescuing my saddle bag on Kingsway. Also to Weiyun and the M of the Clements variety, who did a brilliant job on holding the bunch together.

Return to “Road”