Bike (Garage sale) Idea

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Mark H

Postby Mark H » 17 May 2009, 18:21

Hi Everyone,

I am sure we all have some bikes/ bike parts lying around at home gathering dust.. And thought maybe we could have like a Bike (Garage Sale) maybe tie it in with one of the Omniums (i.e. a few hours beforehand) and have a sausage sizzle. We could ask for a gold coin donation (entry fee) to help raise some funds for the club.

Just a thought!

timyone

Postby timyone » 17 May 2009, 18:41

man has any one been to those auctions in alexandria?

orphic

Postby orphic » 17 May 2009, 19:51

Having a stall at a Deus swap is another option, dunno when the next one is.

Alexandria auctions are good if you go week in week out to scout for good stuff. Oh and if you can beat the guys buying multiple bikes to sell on ebay or whatever :| Hasn't been much amazing finds recently except for that 531 frame I missed out on. Doh!

Toff

Postby Toff » 18 May 2009, 12:52

I went the last Deus swap meet, and there were about 10 stall operators. All were semi-professional sellers, so it wasn't a genuine swap meet.

I've been speaking to Lindsay and Simon at various times, and it looks like the club may be hosting another Open track carnival on New Year's Day like we did last year. If this goes ahead, then we plan to have a swap meet in the middle of Tempe Velodrome at the same time. This will be a genuine swap meet, where you can turn up with just one item for sale, or a carload of stuff. If you are racing, then you can put your stuff out on display, and someone will man the booth for you...

I have been hoarding a few bits for this event, including a disk wheel.

Only problem is that it is still 6 months away. The other option is to start a "for sale or trade" subsection of the forum here.

simon.sharwood

Postby simon.sharwood » 18 May 2009, 12:59

Attaching it to an omnium sounds like a good idea - we could hit forums all over the sydney cycling community and get a crowd, maybe even some blow-in entrants. And of course, bigger makes it easier for me to spruik with my Publicity Officer's hat on ...

Toff

Postby Toff » 19 May 2009, 03:52

Not an omnium Simon, an Open track carnival. We hosted day 1 of Crafty's 3 day track series last year, and I believe we have opted to host it again this year. Simon is in charge of the administrative details of the track event, but it would seem I have volunteered myself to organise the swap meet side of things.

I was planning to start doing some publicity with around 3 months to go, but looks like it's already started. Part of the plan would also be to have at least one bike shop hosting a stand at the same time.

Having said that, the plan was definately to get some extra people to come. Some of the racing crowd would get a chance to look at the swap meet, and those who went along for the swap meet would be able to stay and watch some high quality racing, as well as Crafty's entertaining commentary.

timyone

Postby timyone » 19 May 2009, 09:25

be careful with clashing for the shops though hey, because there may be shops involved in the actual carnival sponsorship etc etc, i think we are supported heaps by bundy as well, dunno if he would want a shop bit?

Return to “Conversation”