Paceline Perfection

Road cycling & upcoming rides
Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Mar 2009, 10:03

After the Waterfall turn off in the slowies group, even though the pace was controlled it is clear that not all of us understand how the pace line should work. We spent a lot of energy changing the lead from the back of the line. Whether the pace line is a single file pace line, or a double file - the rule is the same - DONT SPEND A LOT OF TIME ON THE FRONT, peel off to the left, keep the speed consistent - not bursts of speed.

A picture is worth a 1000 words, so I thought this link about the perfect pace line was a good one for the cruisers group to watch. It shows a double paceline, but a single is a similar idea but the lead rider peels to the left and rolls to the back. Next attempt at waterfall should be done probably at 90% with groups of about 6 riders. We always try to do this but some how the plan always goes a stray when a rider overtakes us. Anyway - Lindsay - we won't be at Waterfall next Sunday, but it may pay to have a quick 2 minute chat to people on the ride before we take off at Marrickville.

Also riders at the front, we need to remember not to sprint when taking off at lights in reference to the sling shot effect that Geoff mentioned in a previous post, so the group doesn't break us as much.

Last but not least - as it is a training ride, we should probably change the lead at the front more often...and give every one a go - even the inexperienced riders - even if it is only for a very short time.

Otherwise - It was a pretty enjoyable ride all round this week and welcome to Frank a new rider, that kept up with us without any problems.

REFER TO THIS LINK RE PERFECT PACELINE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5CfRsmtQ44

ALSO THIS NEXT ARTICLE HAS SOME GOOD TIPS
http://www.active.com/cycling/Articles/ ... _skill.htm

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Mar 2009, 10:17

Interesting. We also had a very good 4 men paceline on the way back today with one very experienced senior rider from St George (?). The pace was steady with even effort, no sudden surges by the lead rider. It must have been Frank's first pace line ride but was able to quickly pick up the rules.

Maybe the trick is to keep the numbers down and match riders with similar ability. Smoothness is the name of the game. 8)

Frank.S87

Postby Frank.S87 » 01 Mar 2009, 14:50

thanks to all of the guys that i was riding back with especially Micklan and the st george guy and weiyun.

it was good first hand experience had no idea what pace line was but it was v.nice to be guided through.

Frank S

Postby Frank S » 02 Mar 2009, 15:43

[quote="
Otherwise - It was a pretty enjoyable ride all round this week and welcome to Frank a new rider, that kept up with us without any problems.

Thanks for the ride, It was just what I was looking for!
The sight of the ambulance was a little sobering though. I hope whomever it was for is OK...

Anyway I'll certainly be back. Thanks Again!

Frank S
Ashbury

Terry

Postby Terry » 02 Mar 2009, 16:06

I Agree totally with Weiyun our return trip from waterfall was the best i have had. A nice steady pace without any surging at the front and the calling when it is safe to move over was also very helpful allowing for a very smoth motion allround.

micklan

Postby micklan » 02 Mar 2009, 17:35

I learnt what a paceline is/was/action from Geoff and Eric heading down the same stretch, in fact I got heaps of pointers from Eric - good one guys.

(Geoff has a french term for paceline, it sounded a bit fruity)

I think that guy was a Cronulla rider? he was very helpful/productive

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Mar 2009, 20:38

I think that guy was a Cronulla rider?
Double checked with CNSW's jersey list, he was a Sutherland rider, same jersey as what George wears.

Return to “Road”