The long awaited Amy Gillett Ride report

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Jono

Postby Jono » 11 Jan 2009, 12:53

Firstly I would like to thank the following people. Firstly I would like to thank my sponsors, your support provided the motivation to get going, when the going got tough on a long ride. These people were Adrian Emilsen, Geoff Semon, Suzanne Spiropoulos, Stuart Hickson, Leigh Gibbens, Kay Lefevre, Kim Ryan, Brenda Bailey & Adam Butler
I would like to thank the people from Belly’s Bikes (a bike shop in Bathurst), Cheeky Transport & people from everyone who answered my questions of packing the bike from the Dulwich Hill Bicycle Club Forum & Sydney Cyclist for their advice on packing the bike. The guys from the King Street Cyclery for the pump and Velcro strap. I would also like to thank the people from the Aberdeen Motor Inn on Aberdeen Street Geelong for looking after my pack containing personal clothing and the bike bag, while I was riding. Importantly I would also like to extend my thanks to the volunteers on Amy Gillett Ride who made the ride work, these include the Rotary club members & St John Ambulance Victoria First Aid Services volunteers who made the ride work. Finally I would like to thank a workmate Diana Vangelovska for allowing me to leave work early on Friday the 2nd .

Getting there
On Friday the 2nd of January I left for work on my Shogun Katana, with a day bag containing the 3 days of clothing and toiletries. I strapped the Look Bike Bag & sleeping bag to the straps. I felt like a sail on a yacht as I rode, but I got to work on time as usual.
I found myself in a mild panic when I found that I had left that ride number at home. Fortunately Diana allowed me to head off early. After picking up the ride number I rode to the King Street cyclery and bought a pump and got a Velcro strap to keep it on the frame. I then went to Office Works on Ross Street and bought some bubble wrap.
I got to Central station with over an hour and a half to spare and began disassembling the bike and putting it into the bike bag. This is where the only problem of the trip occurred. I found that the shifter I had brought was not suitable for removing the pedals. I had a crack at taking them off with the Allen key and was able to get the left pedal off but the right pedal was going nowhere. Fortunately the bike fitted into the bag with the pedal still on. I checked the bike in and got myself changed into some street clothes. I then went and got myself fed.
When the time came to board the train I stowed the day bag and got myself settled in. I was travelling in a first class seat and I had some leg room. When we left Central we were told that the train was a fully booked service and that there would be no spare seats on the train. When we got to the Southern Highlands the lights went out and we all tried to get to sleep. For most of us it was easily done but for one young guy it was all too much and he got kicked off at Goulburn. The rest of the trip was uneventful;
We arrived at Southern Cross station 15 minutes late which changed my plans for a V-line service to Geelong. I picked up the bike (It was the only one on the train) and bought a ticket for the V-line service to Geelong. When the train turned up I was reminded that I was not in NSW. The V-line trains are single deckers and there is a luggage storage area where people put bags and bikes. On this train there were 4 others beside myself. Curiously enough they allow bikes on the train fully assembled - contrary to the advice I was given by the customer service agent on the phone when I rang them from work and their website. Unlike City Rail, I was even able to get a ticket for the return journey the next day.
I got talking to four cyclists who were on their way to South Geelong to ride the Bellarine Rail Trail. They were interested in the ride but were not keen on doing the 120 kilometres. One thing that got me was one of them admitted he did not know how to change a tube despite having been cycling for 4 years! I asked him what he did when he copped a puncture and he told me about the RACV bike assist plan which (if the mechanic cannot fix the bike issue) gives the rider a $50 cab charge voucher (I won’t be holding my breath to wait for the NRMA to do the same).
When I got to Geelong I had a bit of a walk to find the Aberdeen Motor Inn where I had booked a room a few days before. Fortunately I found it after I spoke to some locals. After I checked in I went out for a look around town and bought some food for the ride and breakfast. I also visited a bike shop and bought a pedal wrench for the reassembly of the bike. I noticed that there was a lot of riders in town. There is quiet a lot of bike lanes on roads - most of them are quite wide. Drivers in Geelong are similar to Sydney in that they sound their horns when someone is late taking off on a green light.
When I went out for dinner that evening I was approached by people asking for directions to restaurants (Geelong has a number of Thai restaurants and Pizza parlours). I had to tell them that I wasn’t a local that I was from Sydney. They took that with good grace.
That evening after dinner I was able to reassemble the bike. I found that the plastic ring around down tube shifters were damaged during the train journey. I found that they still worked after I had reassembled the bike. I set out my gear for the ride, I decided I would wear some gear that would clearly show that I was from Sydney. I wore a pair of nicks and a Gong Ride jersey. After I had got myself as ready as I could, I went off to bed.
The Ride
When I got up I found I was not the only guest at the Aberdeen Motor Inn who was going to the Amy Gillett Ride. I found that there were several other riders getting themselves ready for the ride. Most of them had better bikes than the Katana. Once I got myself ready I took my bags to the office and arranged for them to be locked in the dining room till I came back from the ride.
I rode down Ryrie street to Eastern Park which I found was where the third stage of the Jayco Bay Classic Criterium race as well as the Amy Gillett ride. I watched as the trade teams for the ride set their tents at the start of the race. I also visited the Amy Gillett Foundation tent and the Barwon water point and filled up my biddens. I saw Amy Gillett’s parents giving an interview to a television crew. I also saw a few other television crews filming the riders assembling.
When it came for the ride briefing I went to the start area and I listened to the ride directors instructions. It turned out that there was a change in the locations of some of the water points. The riders wearing the Amy Gillett Foundation jersey and Amy Gillett Foundation kit were called to the front of the ride and they were the first to head off with Amy Gillett’s parents who wore the numbers 1 and 2. After these riders left the other riders left in waves. When it came time my time to go I found myself catching up with the riders from the previous group quite quickly.
As we headed along the Port Arlington Road I got talking to one of the riders who noticed the Gong Ride jersey. We commented on the similarities between Geelong and Wollongong and Newcastle. We particularly had an interest in the music from Newcastle - with bands like Silverchair and The Screaming Jets.
When we got to Port Arlington I noticed how similar the landscape was to parts of the Hunter Valley, with Vineyards and market gardens giving way to the coastal towns and beaches. We rode through Port Arlington and I found we had missed one of the water points. There were some people who treated the ride as a pub crawl by bike with some people going to the local early opener. Others visited the local shops.
As I rode through the costal areas I was stunned by the number of people who turned out to clap and cheer us on. I have done more than a few rides in NSW and we seldom get people turning out to watch the rides let alone cheer. At one caravan park children leaned out with their hands out to get a 5 as we passed.
When we got to the first water point I filled both my biddens and had one of my energy bars.
After we headed away from the Port Arlington the landscape changed yet again, with the coastal residential areas becoming grazing land. We could still see the sea however and it wasn’t long before we arrived at Point Lonsdale and the second water point. While I was here I got talking to some other riders about the Gong Ride. It seems that the Gong Ride jersey was the right choice for starting conversations.
While we were on the way to the next water point many riders elected to stop in Ocean Grove for lunch and it was obvious that this tourist town was going to benefit from the arrival of so many riders in addition to the usual holiday traffic. I stopped at a small shop on the outskirts of Ocean Grove and bought a chicken roll, a mars bar, a cereal bar and a iced coffee (to keep the caffeine level up. While I was there I got talking to some riders from the Bicycle Victoria Forum group (that is what they had on their jerseys), I rode with one of them Barwon Heads and on to Black Rock Road. We discussed riding in NSW and Victoria and the famous Beach Road and the Hell Ride.
While we were on our way to the water point at Barwon Heads, I rode through the beach area near Torquay, these have to be some of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen. It is a very popular area, it was also here that some motorists decided to let us know a little more than they intended about their knowledge of the road rules when one of them leaned out and shouted “Single File Mate” as they passed.
When we arrived at the water point at Barwon Heads we got some fruit (1 apple) and the water. I got talking to some members of St John Ambulance who were there with a large Ambulance that St John in Victoria had bought from the Victoria Ambulance. They had some work that day but were more worried about what was going to happen at the Criterium Race at the end of the ride.
When we finished at Barwon Heads, we rode through a farming area where things started to get hot. We had more than a few motorists who passed close to riders including myself. I also saw a Tiger Moth towing an advertisement for a skydiving school run from a farm nearby. It was on this stage that my concentration began to fade and I nearly went off road a couple of times.
When We got to the final water point I was able to score a energy bar from one of the Rotary Club volunteers, I cannot speak more highly of people who volunteered for the water points and these people were no exception, from this water point on I only had 20 kilometres to go to the finish at Eastern Park. On this stage the landscape changed from a rural farming are to industrial and then to residential areas. The roads were in good condition mostly and the riders were able to ride in peace. The only trouble we had was turning right at an intersection on a main road. As I approached the final turn toward Eastern Park there was a slight climb and in my state of exhaustion I had to dismount and have the last of my water before riding on.
When I got to Eastern Park I rode through the quite shaded roads and on to the finish. As I finished I took some photos for a couple who took the photos of me at the finish (I know I was a bit of a poser but what the hell!) I went to the Amy Gillett stall and picked up some brochures and saw the closing phases of the elite men’s Criterium. I then got a complimentary massage and a brochure and jersey from a stall advertising the Holden High Country Challenge (I will think about it but there is limited public transport to the ride).
After the presentation ceremony for the Jayco Bay Classic. I headed back to the Aberdeen Street Motor Inn and collected my bags.
I then headed to the railway station where I caught the train to Southern Cross Station. On the way back to Melbourne I got talking to another cyclist who came down from Melbourne to watch the racing. She had intended to participate in the ride but had felt ill the day before and just decided to come down for the racing. We exchanged stories about riding. Her sister had been waiting at traffic lights when they changed and she had not noticed. A motorist behind her decided to nudge her back wheel with the nose of his car and sent her flying into the intersection for a crash. I told her about the issues I have had on Coward St particularly with arrow turns etc.
After I got to Southern Cross Station headed up to North Melbourne to the hostel that I had booked myself into for the night. I got there in good time although I wound up walking the bike because I was too worn out to ride. The hostel willingly stowed the bike in a bike room they use for their hire bikes and I got myself washed and changed and went out for dinner.
Getting Back
When I got up the next morning I found I had to get some information on the bus to Avalon. I tried to get information from a website that would not open but got the timetable for the bus from the hostel reception. Fortunately I had enough time to get the bike and my clothes backed. I then took the tram (with the bike in the bag) to the GPO and posted off a lot of my clothes and bike tools that I did not need when I got back to Sydney. I also got a cardboard box from Office Works and used it to line the bag.
I then walked to Southern Cross Station and got my ticket to Avalon & waited for the bus. When I came I was pleasantly relieved to find that the bike would be accepted for carriage. The trip was quiet and uneventful. When I got to Avalon I was anxious about if the bike would be carried by Jetstar and was not sure if it would attract excess baggage charges. I was pleasantly relieved to find that the bike was right to go and was under the 20KG baggage allowance. I was also given a seat at the emergency exit which had more leg room than other seats. After a pleasant flight to Sydney. I reassembled the bike in the arrivals section of the domestic airport and made myself ready for the return to work. After disposing of the cardboard and bubble wrap I wished a group waiting for the arrival of a bus to the Northern Beaches a good day and then headed off. I followed the path across from the hotel opposite the domestic airport and then caught up with the cycle path alongside the Alexandria Canal.
I had a shower and a shave at work and had a pleasant half day (I had worked during our Christmas Party so I could have the morning off). After work I was able to return home with the bags and the gear I had brought.
Conclusion
The Amy Gillett Foundation are very interested in having a regular ride in NSW, they particularly would like to have one in Sydney but have been surprised by the administrative costs (police, road closures etc). They are keen to get something going in the Hunter Valley. There may be a NSW ride sometime this year but I will write again to confirm. This has to be one of the most positive experiences I have had in cycling. I highly recommend we Sydney Cyclists give all our support to the Amy Gillett Foundation in their efforts to get a NSW ride going.[/img]

SuzieSpiro

Postby SuzieSpiro » 11 Jan 2009, 14:41

Hi Jono - glad to hear everything went well on the ride and you made it safe and sound to the finish line. Sounds like you had a great time - and 120 kms is quite an achievement! Cheers, Suzanne

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 12 Jan 2009, 09:24

First up great report - very comprehensive and really gives a feelign for your experience on the ride. secondly, and as you can see above, your image posting didn't quite work out!

The syntax for posting a picture is as follows (but without the space at the start - I had to put that in so you could see it):

This needs to be in place for every picture so for the post above you'll need 7 individual instances of it.

Jono

Postby Jono » 20 Jan 2009, 19:12

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 20 Jan 2009, 19:44

The photo links still dont work it seems??

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 21 Jan 2009, 01:06

There is no .jpg on the end of those links so they won't work - you probably need to right click on the pics themselves and select properties of the image and then copy the link which should have a .jpg on the end

Toff

Postby Toff » 21 Jan 2009, 08:56

Pics:

Return to “Conversation”