It is a very rare Malvern Star ladies' bike from 1955. No one is really sure but this style of bike was first introduced in c1948 and was originally called the 'New Look' (also referred to as 'Streamlyne'). However with upcoming coronation of Queen Elizabeth in 1953, it was relabelled the 'Coronation'. I guess the rationale was that the rather bulbous extra fork and seat tubes looked rather like the British crown.
I am not a monarchist, so no god save the queen jokes please
This 'Coronation' model was made between 1953 and 1955/6. The colour schemes differed slightly too. In 1953 (coronation year) the bikes were celubriously coloured purple and gold. I expect my 1955 model was probably a more patriotic red, white and blue.
Priced at about £16 in it's day, I am told (?) this would be the equivalent of $3K today. Has a coat of red house paint on it at the moment but plan to repaint it in it's 'original' colours once I can confirm what they may have been.
Anyway you can see pics and a discussion on this Facebook thread here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/classic ... 6603286307
- 20170404_141853_resized - SMALLER.jpg (947.14 KiB) Viewed 843 times
Another advert, this one with the boys and girls versions with a 1953 'coronation' year colour scheme ...
An advert of the same bike from the Women's Weekly
- MS1948newlook_zps0ef41f43 Advert - Copy.jpg (203.91 KiB) Viewed 843 times
- MS1954ElizabethanTN_zpsa5f1cda2.jpg~original.jpeg (89.55 KiB) Viewed 814 times
- 20170404_141908_resized - SMALLER.jpg (1.04 MiB) Viewed 841 times
What I hope it will look like one day
- FB_IMG_1491334615761_resized.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 843 times