Removing Shimano 600 RH crank

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 03 Oct 2012, 21:21

As some of you may know, my right pedal literally came off/stripped the thread off my old Shimano 600 cranks.
Dont ask how it happened, it just did. Anyway, managed to find another RH Shimano 600 crank on ebay. It is on its way to me as we speak.
Tried to get the old cranks off today but without luck. Unable to get the crank bolt off and also dont appear to have a proper sized crank puller for this Shimano part.
This is for my new/old 1986 Raleigh Panasonic team bike.
Any help available?

Toff

Postby Toff » 05 Oct 2012, 12:01

Thread is stripped, so you might as well just use an angle grinder...

jonboy

Postby jonboy » 05 Oct 2012, 15:03

Good idea Toff - a bit severe, but yes, get the angle grinder going on all those vintage bikes and get on board the carbon fibre train...

You'll be drooling over a McLaren + Specialized Venge in no time.

:o

Toff

Postby Toff » 05 Oct 2012, 15:34

The angle grinder is a very special tool indeed. It is vital in any real bloke's toolshed. No need to be coy with the real tools when you have steel underneath you. Real blokes don't need to be delicate with the settings on their torque spanners, scared that they might crack something. We don't ride frames that are made of material that you could push a ballpoint pen through in places. Noooo. We turn up the heat on the brazing torch, and get to work. Real bikes can take a bit of light grinding, even if only to polish off the rust! Whoohoo...

Toff

Postby Toff » 05 Oct 2012, 15:57

On a more serious note, I am going to assume that there was no washer left on the crank, which is the quickest way to strip the threading on a crankset, when pulling it off. If there is no washer, then I would suggest winding up the crank puller until it does release the crank, or else start to strip the threads off the crank. If it still won't give, then you can get a cheap three-arm bearing puller and use that instead. You can probably get 'em from a hardware store, or an auto shop, or even on Fleabay for a song, like this one.

The other option is to go to a bike shop that has been in business for a while, and get them to pull off the crank for you. They basically have a bike-specific version of the bearing puller tool described above, which won't leave ugly marks on your crankset.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 06 Oct 2012, 18:56

New drive set crank on today. Happy :D

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”