L'Eroica Downunder, Beechworth VIC, 28 and 29 April

A place for those keen on vintage and retro bikes - steel is real.
Johnj

Postby Johnj » 15 Feb 2012, 19:45

"This cycling event celebrates the heroic times of cycle racing when many of the roads were not sealed and caters for riders and collectors of classic racing bicycles. Held over two days on routes selected for the varied surfaces, challenges and scenic vistas the emphasis is simply the enjoyment of riding classic bicycles with riders who appreciate this important era of racing. Nostalgic discussions later over great food and a bottle of local red are an important part of the weekend."

More details here.

Event website (not live yet).

I'm thinking of going (local red wine sounds particularly appealing). Possibly drive down Friday, back on Monday. Anyone else?

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 16 Feb 2012, 07:42

Gee, just one T away from being very interesting ....

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 16 Feb 2012, 10:15

Hey we get double the fun.
Dont only appreciate what's available today, but also love the old stuff.

Toff

Postby Toff » 23 Feb 2012, 16:14

L'Eroica events in Italy and in the USA are pretty strict on what's allowed to be ridden. Turning up with anything Ergopower would be a big no-no in Italy, as would anything with "Velocity" written on it... Any guidelines available for this event?

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 24 Feb 2012, 10:46

I'm going to try and keep the dates free.

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 26 Feb 2012, 20:57

L'Eroica events in Italy and in the USA are pretty strict on what's allowed to be ridden. Turning up with anything Ergopower would be a big no-no in Italy, as would anything with "Velocity" written on it... Any guidelines available for this event?
No guidelines that I've seen yet. I suspect entrants are probably expected to make their best efforts and things like Velocity rims (in traditional profiles) would be fine. I talked to Ron Webster, who went on the last one. He said there were a lot of beautiful 5-stars, running singles on the gravel roads. I'd say downtube shifters, toeclips and non-aero brake levers would be the go. No point in going all the way to Beechworth to get laughed at.

So far the possible attendees include me, Marc (if he's well enough), Toff, Karzie and Pete. I presume Lindsay might be interested as well. Maybe Ron Webster. Anyone else?

This is a picture from 2009

This is what I'll probably be riding

Toff

Postby Toff » 26 Feb 2012, 22:19

You should extend the brake cables, John. Also, never noticed this before but are they Dunlop valves?

Johnj

Postby Johnj » 27 Feb 2012, 19:55

Found a run down of the rules for 2007, can only presume that 2012 will be similar:

BICYCLES: this is an event for racing bicycles built before 1980, celebrating the times of “heroic” road racing. It is NOT an event for MTBs, hybrids, plastic bikes, aero brake levers, clipless pedals and etc; you get the idea. Classic hand made bicycles built post 1980 may be considered by the organisers.

WHEELS and TYRES: this event traverses roads unsuited to narrow tyres or silk singles on lightweight rims; we suggest you save those beaut wheels for the Show and Tell and ride on your old sturdy training wheels instead.

DRESS: riders are requested to enhance the spirit of the event by wearing cycling attire appropriate to the era of their bicycle. Modern MATT finish lycra nix and replica jerseys will not be frowned upon.

HELMETS: it is mandatory that all riders wear Australian Standards approved helmets.

EQUIPMENT: make sure your valuable bicycle is fit for the task; serviced, adjusted and fitted with sturdy tyres. Spare tubes, puncture kit and pump are essential as L’EROICA DOWNUNDER values self reliance.

An email sent by one of the organisers (in 2007) said "in the spirit of the "heroic" times past most things are possible as the 1980 cut off is indicative only, JUST NO MTB's, PLASTIC BIKES, CLICK SHIFT etc which basically means though not exclusively lugged steel frames, toe clips and woollen jerseys. And of course some of us have replaced parts with newer items, so as long as it's in three "SPIRIT" of the heroic times of bicycle racing." So there you go, clear as mud...
You should extend the brake cables, John. Also, never noticed this before but are they Dunlop valves?
Brake cables are on the list, but I'm still looking for the correct ribbed grey brake outers. And yes, Dunlop valves on the Bol D'or (I have a little stash of Dunlop valve 27" tubes).

Return to “Vintage Bicycles”