Kid's racing (9 years old, very tall)

Bikes and parts for sale plus links to "On Sale" items at bike shops
number1son

Postby number1son » 21 Aug 2016, 16:25

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can give me a heads up as to the existence (or otherwise) of any racing for (say) under 12s? My boy is a) 9 years old, b) very tall for his age and c) mad keen on his bike. He wants to know if there are any kid's events that he could get involved with. I can't find anything on DHBC website, or for that matter on Cycling Australia website (except for some very cryptic info that seems to suggest that there are some u13 events.

Can anyone shine a light? Better yet, has anyone else got kids who are 9-12, who are keen to go for rides (say, along the Cooks River)?

Cheers,

Andrew

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 21 Aug 2016, 18:45

Kids race on the track as juniors and there are some road / crit races as well.

I suggest heading down to Juniors track training on a Wednesday from 5:30pm to check it out. Your son will need a CA juniors licence, not necessarily a race licence to start with.

More info is on theDHBC website

Most racing for kids that age is at club level and others will know what's on. 9 year olds I think aren't allowed to formally race but usually have demonstration races until they are 10 (I think). But Colin who is the Juniors' coach will be able to tell you all that.

jcaley

Postby jcaley » 22 Aug 2016, 10:12

There is currently a very inclusive junior racing series being run at Lansdown Reserve every Sunday. see the interschool cycling facebook page.
Yes, get him involved in the DHBC junior track training/racing on a Wednesday night. Then he can start with the LACC track racing on Friday nights once it kicks off. All the junior road tours are finished for the year, but he will probably find U11 racing at most track carnivals.

number1son

Postby number1son » 13 Sep 2016, 22:06

Thanks guys, we've checked out the programme at LACC - looks awesome:)

Return to “For Sale”