Wanted - Intro Road bike

Bikes and parts for sale plus links to "On Sale" items at bike shops
PatW

Postby PatW » 01 Jan 2012, 11:42

Have a brother-in-law after 1st roadie, has been looking at 2-4 year old bikes 2nd hand, and at options like a new Cell alloy/carbon for $800-ish. Around 5'9". If you have anything that might suit taking up space in the garage - or need to offload one to justify the purchase of an upgrade...
Pat Walsh

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Jan 2012, 12:05

Have a brother-in-law after 1st roadie, has been looking at 2-4 year old bikes 2nd hand, and at options like a new Cell alloy/carbon for $800-ish. Around 5'9". If you have anything that might suit taking up space in the garage - or need to offload one to justify the purchase of an upgrade...
Pat Walsh
Good idea Pat if you put his approx size up? Height etc?

PatW

Postby PatW » 01 Jan 2012, 22:54

As I said, around 5'9". Not sure of his inner leg measurement, Jo; I'd have to ask...

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 03 Jan 2012, 13:34

Hey Pat. I wouldn't recommend to buy a Cell bike. From all reports the frames are not that fabulous. 5' 9" is going to be looking in the 54Cm TT range I'd hazard so 2nd hand there should be plenty of options on ebay or bike exchange. theer's 7 bikes under $1000 on BE now.

Use the calculators to decide on a starting point foe the frame size. http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za/CC ... ATOR_INTRO

mr mojo

Postby mr mojo » 05 Jan 2012, 08:38

Hey Pat. I wouldn't recommend to buy a Cell bike. From all reports the frames are not that fabulous.
Hi Stuart (or anyone else who can answer),

I also have a mate who is looking for a cheap first road bike and he has been down to Cell. Can you elaborate on what you mean by the frame quality ? I met an older guy at the Waterfall turn around before Xmas who was riding one of Cell's carbon bikes and he said he had 20,000km on the frame with absolutely no problems (granted we are talking about their Aluminium frames here).

Thanks
Spiros

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 05 Jan 2012, 08:47

my boyfriend rode around on a cell bike for a few years, he loved it.
i hated how it looked (it was gray), i was always fixing it (part his fault for not doing maintenance). the wheels were average and i had to go out and buy something better.
when he got it stolen (a trait of cell bikes, they all look the same and are easy to sell) i bought him a $150 fixie. he instantly commented on how the frame was stiffer and easier to use. he now says he'll never touch a cell again.
that's my only experence with cell bikes

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 17 Jan 2012, 08:13

I also bought a Cell bike as a introductory road bike and I wish I hadn't.

Having no experience with bikes at the time they sold me a 56cm as it was the 'last one on the floor and a great deal'. Needless to say I am 5'5" and it was far too big.

It then started creaking and despite taking it back to them 2 or 3 times they could not tell me the issue, nor did they fix it. I also had a pedal fall off (believe it or not) in the first couple of weeks of ownership as they had not threaded it on correctly. They blamed me for that one despite the fact I didn't even know how to replace and remove pedals at the time!

I also will not shop at Cell bikes again. Even for accessories.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 17 Jan 2012, 10:45

my boyfriend rode around on a cell bike for a few years, he loved it.
i hated how it looked (it was gray), i was always fixing it (part his fault for not doing maintenance). the wheels were average and i had to go out and buy something better.
when he got it stolen (a trait of cell bikes, they all look the same and are easy to sell) i bought him a $150 fixie. he instantly commented on how the frame was stiffer and easier to use...
What an easy going and accepting guy, even happier on a $150 fixie. :mrgreen:

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 17 Jan 2012, 11:09

lol ya,
he had no choice, his bike was stolen, and that's what i got him. he didn't like it at first, but now he loves them

Return to “For Sale”