SCAM Warning: Very cheap high end road bikes

Bikes and parts for sale plus links to "On Sale" items at bike shops
Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Dec 2010, 13:56

Please see this post on Australian Cycling Forums and be warned.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Dec 2010, 14:07

This type of scam has been around for many years on the internet, nothing new. It's the noobs who need to be warned or pay the price for one's greed!

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 01 Dec 2010, 14:21

This type of scam has been around for many years on the internet, nothing new. It's the noobs who need to be warned or pay the price for one's greed!
agree 100% but it's the noobs and the gullible I'm trying to protect!

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Dec 2010, 14:39

If it's too good to be true, it's not true.

The only interest in reading these spams is to figure out if they can be reverse scammed. ;)

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 01 Dec 2010, 19:15

If it's too good to be true, it's not true.

The only interest in reading these spams is to figure out if they can be reverse scammed. ;)
It wasn't a spam it came up on a google search under Pinarello and was a proper website with a button for submission if you wanted to inquire. I thought it was just the frame for $4500 and submitted an inquiry. They emailed back under an individuals name via a G mail account (sportinggoodsltd@gmail.com) the next day, stating it was the whole bike for a Pinarello Prince, DI gearing, carbon clincher wheels, but the rest of their written spec didn't make sense. I advised Stuart if we should put up a warning as it was obviously a scam given they wanted you to submit payment via transfer to a Western Union Account. They are still emailing me. Hopefully I am wrong and there is a site that miraculously sells a bike this cheap, but I doubt it. Here is the site:

http://classifieds.shopmania.com.au/ad/22396

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 01 Dec 2010, 22:10

Yes, have seen quite a number of those scam jobs over the years.

The warning signs are,

1) Price is too good to be true.
2) Inconsistency in their ads and messages.
3) Use of Gmail/Hotmail/Yahoo email accounts.
4) Western Union or other un-orthodox payment methods.
5) No feedback on Google searches.
6) Unconventional web site.
7) Inconsistent contact detail.

For anyone with reasonable sense, it's a strike out if any of the criteria is met.

Karzie

Postby Karzie » 02 Dec 2010, 07:28

Hahaha... sounds like a Pinarello I would covet. "Original box with all Original accessories directly from Sony warehouse. Be the first one to have
this great device".

The new Sony Pinarello device with wheels!

Toff

Postby Toff » 03 Dec 2010, 17:34

I love these scams when they hit Ebay. I put insane bids on them. Hopefully one day I can get someone else to recognise it's a scam before the auction get's pulled, and we can get the bidding up over $1M...

Trouty

Postby Trouty » 04 Dec 2010, 03:16

I love these scams when they hit Ebay. I put insane bids on them. Hopefully one day I can get someone else to recognise it's a scam before the auction get's pulled, and we can get the bidding up over $1M...
They keep emailing me, even giving a company name, address and phone number insisting they are geniuine. I wonder if I can report that to anyone?

Toff

Postby Toff » 04 Dec 2010, 09:03

There are a few scam warnings about your seller, Trouty.

You can either blacklist the clown from your e-mail, or else freak with their minds a bit. If it were me, I would e-mail back saying that you have a friend/family member not far from their office (I have seen Bristol, UK) but it keeps changing. You will send your friend in to look at the bike, and are willing to pay cash if the bike is as described.

I do actually have family in Bristol, so I probably could do this if required, but listen to the BS they come up with. :wink:

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 04 Dec 2010, 09:38

They keep emailing me, even giving a company name, address and phone number insisting they are geniuine. I wonder if I can report that to anyone?
Jo the ACCC has a scamwatch website that tells you how to report scams including internet scams. https://www.scamwatch.gov.au/content/in ... portascam/ You dan report the scam online through a form or ring them up.

Return to “For Sale”