Free Helmets and Cheap Helmets

Bikes and parts for sale plus links to "On Sale" items at bike shops
Toff

Postby Toff » 17 Nov 2010, 22:11

Today I discovered that every bicycle helmet manufactured in the last 5 years is about to become unsellable at the end of this month.

It's a long story but the short version is this:

All helmets sold in Australia require a sticker that certifies that the helmet complies with the Australian National Standard - AS/NZS 2063.

Every 5 years the standard is updated to ensure that helmets (in theory) continue to comply with any improved minimum requirements. We are currently in a transitional phase between the old standard and the new standard.

At the end of this month, it will be illegal to sell a helmet without the "new standard" helmet sticker on it. These helmets will be identical in every respect to ones that can be sold. The only difference will be the test date shown on the sticker.

It would appear that this scenario has been engineered by Pacific Brands, who control the distribution of almost all helmets sold in Australia. They will gain a huge windfall as all helmet stocks in Australia will need to be replenished before the end of this month.

At the same time, bicycle shops will be the losers. Any unsold helmets that they have at the end of this month can no longer be sold. The cost of this inventory will be a deadweight loss. There will also be the cost of restocking with new helmets.

Anyway, the bike shops' loss is our gain. I expect to see massive discounts on helmets as bike shops sell helmets at below cost, just to get rid of their stock.

I received a free helmet today from Peter Bundy. It's a small/medium (52-57cm) and if anyone wants it, they can PM me, and have it. I would keep it, but I already have 4 helmets!

So, if you're looking for a new helmet, you will never get a better chance than the next couple of weeks to get a really great deal on one. Great time to buy for the spouse, or the kids!

Peter Bundy is giving away helmets too. Give him a call, or drop in to his shop. Expect to pay something for the high-end ones, but the standard helmets are probably giveaways.

Also, have a look at what's left of the stock in his shop. He's closing down at Christmas for 3 months, and he's selling everything at cost or below.

http://www.peterbundycycles.com.au/

orphic

Postby orphic » 19 Nov 2010, 14:13

I heard that they actually have a year to sell them... Any bike shop workers who can confirm/deny?

othy

Postby othy » 19 Nov 2010, 14:20

I heard that they actually have a year to sell them... Any bike shop workers who can confirm/deny?
I think its that they 'had a year'. And that time is up come December.

Stuart

Postby Stuart » 19 Nov 2010, 14:48

New bike helmet standards send retailers into a spin

"Representatives of bicycle retailers and wholesalers say businesses that have not sold their stock approved under regulations introduced in 1996 will have little option but to dump them when the new standards take effect on December 13. ''I reckon there would be thousands of them,'' said Geoff Ward of the Bicycle Industries Association, which represents wholesalers and retailers. ''Some [retailers] who have a stack of helmets, they have just said they are just going to be chucking those down at the tip.''

mikesbytes

Postby mikesbytes » 22 Nov 2010, 08:32

It's on, this helmet is the one that Mark L and I use, complete bargain at $59.99

http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/LRHLRN804

Richard

Postby Richard » 22 Nov 2010, 16:10

What does this mean for entering into Cycling Australia sanctioned events.

Do you need a helmet with the sticker complying with the new standard? Can you keep using your old one in these events??

othy

Postby othy » 22 Nov 2010, 17:08

What does this mean for entering into Cycling Australia sanctioned events.

Do you need a helmet with the sticker complying with the new standard? Can you keep using your old one in these events??
You can still use your old helmet for CA events.

http://www.nsw.cycling.org.au/default.asp?Page=39728

Return to “For Sale”