CORC 24Hr

For the MTB and mud/dirt/rock lovers...
christian

Postby christian » 30 Sep 2008, 10:06

Its almost here, the race is on the 11/12th of October which is less then 2 weeks away. For all those involved we need to work out the logistics ans what to take so we don't end up with two of everything at the camp site. I will be going down on the Friday just so I don't have to get up really early on Saturday. Lindsay is going to come down with me but I won't be able to fit his bike in, so if someone has room for his bike let me know.

Things we need to take.

Water container (I have one of these).
Chairs (I would recommend a camping chair, you are going to want to sit down after your lap)
A BBQ or a camping stove of some description.
A tarp, or something else we wan make a shelter from to get out of the sun. I'm not familiar with the camp site at Stromlo, so if there aren't a lot of trees then we will need poles and ropes.
Torches.
Tools.
Your bike, this is a given, lights including a flashy red one, from memory you need one.

There is more needed, but it is mostly the usual camping stuff. Feel free to add to the list, and it you have any of the big items let everyone know.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 01 Oct 2008, 11:51

I've got a camping stove...I'm trying to line up a gazebo. It should be no problems. They're going for under $100 at Rays Outdoors if somebody wants to by one though.

christian

Postby christian » 09 Oct 2008, 09:02

The race map is now available at http://www.corc24hour.com.au/images/fin ... %20map.pdf
The red lap is 13.3km the blue 15.3km.

My grand plan of camping in the corner of the section I was talking about last night may not happen. The gates open at 830 on Friday morning and a lot of people get there early, so we may be a little further in from the corner. I may leave a little earlier to secure us a better spot. For those arriving on Saturday morning you will not be able to come any further in then the main car park, so if you call either myself or Lindsay (assuming mobile phones work) then we'll be able to come out with the trolley to help move your stuff. Also this will take away the pain of finding out camp site.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 09 Oct 2008, 21:02

Thanks for that Christian. I'll definitely need some help unloading the cars. The gazebo is pretty big and heavy. We'll try to get to the campsite at about 830-9am on Saturday morning.
If anyone has a spare pot or saucepan they could bring along, it'd come in handy to cook your stuff.
My girlfriend bought enough food to feed an army, but it's all vegetarian so if you guys want meat, you'll have to bring it yourself. I'm bringing a big esky to keep it all in.

See you all on Saturday!

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 10 Oct 2008, 09:47

See all you Llewellyns down there :wink:

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 10 Oct 2008, 16:44

Lads I am bringing a bbq, so there will be meat at my spot. I got abit extra, but being a 24hr bike race it may not end up being extra? If you want to bring meat we can cook it...

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 10 Oct 2008, 16:59

Sounds like you guys are going to have a good weekend. Hope the racing goes well! Good Luck!!

timyone

Postby timyone » 11 Oct 2008, 13:07

good luck or what ever it is im supposed to say :D
Ill pray that none of you crash instead hey :D

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 12 Oct 2008, 18:56

Here's a link to some photos of Team DHBC from Canberra.

http://www.sydneycyclist.com/group/dhbc ... ic%3A33039

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Oct 2008, 08:07

Guys I"ve got to say that I had an absolute ball on the weekend!

I"ve got to say a big thankyou to those who convinced me that mountain biking is the way to go & to John & Christian for all the work they put in, putting up the gazabo & making sure we had everything we needed.

On retrospect I"ve been sitting back thinking that I really should have ridden abit further & extended myself a bit more but there's always next year. It wasn't too bad a performance for my first mountain bike race.

The boys can tell the story of how the team went because I'm not really sure of the final result. I think they rode 24 laps in 23 hours. Which in terms of kms I rode 8 laps which was 120kms, so you can do the maths.

The course was very spectacular. There were 2 loops, a red & a blue. The red was much more climbing based, with one really decent climb that just kept going. Just when you thought you were at the peak, it took another turn & went up some more. It had some spectacular descending though too. In truth I don't think there was more than a km of either course that was really flat. The blue loop was my favourite, it started with a bit of a climb & had a decent climb in the middle but was much less up & down. & the bit that really took me back to my childhood was a fast section in the middle which they had lined with bmx styled jumps for a bit of fun.

The other major highlight was doing the course with lights. It was just a real buzz to be flying around a bush course only powered by the lights on your handle bars & helmet. For someone who has only been riding a mountain bike for a month or so, I really found great joy in mastering parts of the track that I struggle with earlier in the day. & I"ve got to comment on how friendly all the riders were. I"ve never been to an event where there were so many riders for one but where every body said hello.

I"m very keen to ride another 24hr race when the next one comes up. I would love to better my 120kms...

christian

Postby christian » 13 Oct 2008, 08:51

It was a pretty good weekend with not too many injuries. We rode 24 laps in just over 23 hours, John rode 7, Huw 6, Lindsay 5 and 6 by myself. The distance is 342km.

As Simon said, the first 9km or so of the red loop was all about climbing, but the descent made it all worth while, which is where I also had both of my crashes. The blue lap was painful, you'd start out, it would feel like you have been riding forever then you'd pass the sign that said you'd done 2km, it felt like you where never going to get there. I managed to score the getting up and riding at 3am laps, just lucky I guess.

Riding at night is always interesting, next time I may have to upgrade my lights so I can see around the corners. But having sub optimal lights that are only on the handle bars and descending at speed makes an exciting ride.

alchemist

Postby alchemist » 13 Oct 2008, 17:06

Nice effort Simon, you had a few Canberra locals scrambling to the results to make sure your lap times weren't quicker than theirs. The interim results have you as doing 9 laps although with 2 red laps in a row.

christian

Postby christian » 13 Oct 2008, 18:56

The results are in, the team came 49th out of 103 teams in our catagory. Not to bad an effort. We managed 24 laps in 23:07:23. Simon came in at 55th out of 81. Doing 9 laps in 23:24:21. These both include the DNFs.

christian

Postby christian » 13 Oct 2008, 18:56

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 13 Oct 2008, 19:35

We would have made it into the 30's if we had kept sending people out until midday! I figure we could have squeezed 2 more laps in.

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 13 Oct 2008, 19:38

That 10 hr lap must have really taken it out of you Simon :D
Average speed of 1.42km/h

T-Bone

Postby T-Bone » 13 Oct 2008, 19:58

I think i'll need to have a crack at this next year!

christian

Postby christian » 13 Oct 2008, 20:01

I did actually considered heading out again, thatway I could have finished on a red lap, not that horrible blue one. Should have just done it.

lindsay

Postby lindsay » 13 Oct 2008, 22:18

Well that was indeed great fun... Highlights for me was our team campsite with our great support crew Ellie & the Kevins, being able to finish a couple of laps & marvelling at the size of the event. Also being blown away by the solo riders who did it non stop for the 24hours. I felt great being part of our club team.

Bad things that didn't happen to me was not being evacuated by a helicopter & not freaking out in the dark.

I need a big dose of MTB handling skills & heaps more fitness. Looking back perhaps I could have done 1 more lap, but that hot shower at the end... I celebrated my last lap with a beer & a triple shot coffee.

Next year we need a club flag for our campsite...

Here's some photos -

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60245112@N ... 3128/show/

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 13 Oct 2008, 22:52

That 10 hr lap must have really taken it out of you Simon :D
Average speed of 1.42km/h
Yeah it was tough, I managed to fall off the bike onto an air matress in the back of my car & just passed out. But hey my cold is getting better as a result.

I must have done alright in the endurance though because I rode an extra lap more than what I remember, making it 130kms, not 120km. But hey I had an absolute ball. It really was alot of fun & I will definitely be back next year.

It's cool too for novelty value I can tell people I am ranked 55 in Australia in 24hr mountin biking!!!!!

NOOG

Postby NOOG » 18 Oct 2008, 11:01

GREAT pics here of us from the race.

http://www.sportograf.de/en/shop/event/428

Just type in your race number

Christian 4151
Huw 4152
Lindsey 4153
Simon 67
Me 4154

Return to “Mountain”