Dreams on Wheels exhibition

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 03 Jun 2008, 18:40

I went to this exhibition when it was in canberra a few weeks ago. Its now in Sydney. Well worth checking out. They also had a series of films from famous races like the 76' Paris-Roubaix (A Sunday in Hell). There seems to be a lack of details about the films at the moment but hopefully event program will come out soon.

Dreams on Wheels exhibition
10 June 2008 – 22 June 2008
Dreams on WheelsThe Dreams on Wheels exhibition showcases the Danish culture of cycling and innovative Danish bicycle design. This exhibition marks the re-opening of the Royal Danish Embassy in Canberra and is a partnership between the Embassy and the City of Sydney.

In total the exhibition features 18 bicycles plus 10 City Bikes, bicycles that are identical to those used in the Danish free bicycle program currently being adopted in Paris and considered for introduction in Australia. The exhibition also has a film program with several documentaries including Jørgen Leth's work about the Tour de France and Cities for People which discusses the ideas of Danish architect Jan Gehl.

The exhibition's curator is Thomas Ermacora, a city planner and founder of Etikstudio in Paris. Motivated by how a 'cyclocentric' approach to urban development can stimulate sustainable civic behaviour, the exhibition promotes cycling in a broader cultural context, displaying Danish urban cityscapes alongside urban visions for Australia by Jan Gehl.

Weekday opening hours 9am-6pm
Weekend opening hours 10am-4pm

Admission is free.

Film program information to be confirmed shortly.

Dreams on Wheels exhibition is a partnership event with the City of Sydney and the Danish Embassy
Venue

University of Technology, Sydney
Tower Building (CB01)
Broadway, Ultimo 2007
Map Reference: http://www.uts.edu.au/about/mapsdirections/citymap

http://www.cityofsydney.nsw.gov.au/What ... ntID=55011

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 04 Jun 2008, 07:30

Here is more info on the films program:

http://www.gksydney.um.dk/en/menu/Event ... lmProgram/

“Overcoming”
A film that provides a penetrating in sight in to the closed world of professional cycling. The film follows Bjarne Riis and his team CSC as they strive for the impossible: To win the Tour de France.
For more information, click HERE
Directed by Tómas Gislason (2005) - 106 min

Thursday 12 June 2:00 pm
Saturday 14 June 2:00 pm
Tuesday 17 June 12:30 am
Saturday 21 June 11:00 am

Jørgen Leth bicycle trilogy:
“A Sunday in Hell”
A powerful portrayal of one of the toughest cycling races in the world – The Paris–Roubaix Race.
Directed by Jørgen Leth (1976) - 111 min.

Sunday 15 June 11:00 am
Sunday 22 June 2:00 pm

”Stars and Water Carriers”
A Portrayal of the Girod’Italia Race as classical theatre, in which the heroes evoke the virtues of classical mythology to achiev legendary performances.
Directed by Jørgen Leth (1974) - 93 min.

Wednesday 11 June 2:00 pm
Saturday 14 June 11:00 am
Friday 20 June 12:30 am
Sunday 22 June 11:00 am

“The impossible Hour”
A study of Danish legendary cycling star OleRitter’s attempt to recapture the most difficult record in professional cycling: a one-hour, one-man race on atrack in Mexico City.
Directed by Jørgen Leth ( 1975) - 45 min.

Friday 13 June 12:30 pm
Saturday 14 June 1:00 pm
Wednesday 18 June 12:30 pm
Saturday 21 June 2:00 pm

Simon Llewellyn

Postby Simon Llewellyn » 04 Jun 2008, 11:05

Hey they have some great tastes in movies, I"ve got them all on dvd!!...

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 04 Jun 2008, 11:27

Cool, then we watch them all at your place :)

Toff

Postby Toff » 04 Jun 2008, 13:54

Great idea. Let's organise a video night. Beer, Pizza, (or if you prefer, Powerbars and Gatorade).

Could even do it down at Tempe one night if someone can get a projector.

mcrkennedy

Postby mcrkennedy » 04 Jun 2008, 14:16

Adrian

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

I noticed on the program is a short film called "Cities for people" which looks at the work of Professor Jan Gehl. You may remember that he is the consultant that the Sydney city Council brought out to Australia to develop a master plan for Sydney including a more bike friendly city.

I think that would also be worth looking at Overcoming and a Sunday in Hell. I have wanted to see both of these movies.

See you there!

Michael

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 04 Jun 2008, 14:30

Hi Michael,

Regarding the Jan Gehl film, I recently saw it when I was in Canberra. It blew my mind combining all of my interests in urban planning, psychology and cycling. He's a smart dude and its great the the City of Sydney have worked with him on the new bike strategy. If only the state gov. would listen as well.

Return to “Conversation”