Bike Dilema - seeking advice

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
Cold_Ears

Postby Cold_Ears » 24 Jun 2016, 17:14

Hi all,

I plan to upgrade my bike and looking at the relatively cost effective Merida range. I am trying to decide between a Merida Scultura 5000-E (2015) and a Merida Reacto 7000 (2015) both of which I have found on sale sub $2500. Whilst I initially preferred the reacto, I am wondering are aero road bikes allowed in road races?

I am new to racing and would like to train this year and enter some events next year. I am also riding L'etape Aust in December and don't want to buy a bike that doesnt meet their rules.

I am not sure of my bike size thus trusting a local bike shop.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim G

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 24 Jun 2016, 18:26

The Reacto looks more like a time trial bike to me. I suggest it would be a bit uncomfortable for every day riding. You could ride it in L'Etape but I don't think it would be a great climbing bike.

The Scultura is probably more suitable. If you get disc brakes you won't be able to race it in sanctioned races because the UCI says 'no discs'. A sanctioned race is a criterium at Heffron for example. It will be fine for Gran Fondos such as L'Etape even with disc brakes.

Cold_Ears

Postby Cold_Ears » 24 Jun 2016, 19:02

Thanks for the info. I have tried a friends reacto - I didnt mind it, though the road was fairly smooth. More food for thought. I will definitely be avoiding disc brakes though. :)

Tim G

ratzzzzz

Postby ratzzzzz » 26 Jun 2016, 18:04

I think the warp bike is the merida time trial bike. The reacto is the 'aero road' option, the scultura is the 'touring road' bike. I'm a bit biased because I ride a venge and covet the bmc time machine - both 'aero road' bikes. I've done some big rides on my bike but as Eleri says the scultura has the geometry and is designed to be more comfortable - I'd try and get a ride on both if you can. I do notice the reactor does have the under thingy brakes on the rear which are annoying to fiddle with.
Someone more up knowledgable will be able to update you re disc brakes as I thought the vibe was that they'd be legal soon? I saw some teams trialling them in some of the one day classics. Personally I'd love to have a bike with disc brakes but at the moment it takes away the option of sanctioned races.....maybe I should by 1 of each.
99 bikes is selling merida cheap at the moment if you haven't looked there - they also have some decent fuji's but I'm sure you don't want any more options!!

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » 26 Jun 2016, 19:54

Disc brakes = not uci compliant and cycling nsw compliant. Uci pulled the pin after some poor chap in the pro peloton got his leg sliced up in a crash.

Recreational is fine.

BenDQ

Postby BenDQ » 27 Jun 2016, 22:21

I have the 2014 Scultura 907E (replaced by the 7000E) and is excellent. It is not a touring bike, it is definitely setup to race. Reacto = Aero while Scultura = lighter

Return to “Conversation”