Fast Mail Order!

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 20 Jan 2014, 09:38

I placed an order with Wiggle on Friday evening for some new tyres, inner tubes, cleats, brake pads and a derailleur alignment tool.
The package just arrived at my work space Monday morning at 10.30am! Free shipping!
That impressed me.
Have a great ride,
Peter

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Jan 2014, 09:57

I've noticed if it's going to a business address, Wiggle is super fast. Not quite as quick when going to a home address and you have to factor in Post Office pick up etc.

Rumour has it they have a warehouse in Sydney but this is unconfirmed.

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 20 Jan 2014, 10:08

It's been mentioned to me, that Wiggle now have a warehouse and shipping centre in Australia, they don't stock everything here, but the more common or popular items. So if you're order is on that list, then it's shipping from Australia hence the delivery in a few days.

andrewm

Postby andrewm » 20 Jan 2014, 10:19

How can you buy gst free from a Sydney warehouse?

humanbeing

Postby humanbeing » 20 Jan 2014, 10:30

I've heard they have a warehouse in Australia as well. The return address on the parcel is in the UK.
Local brick and mortar shops can't compete since I attempt to do 99% of my own bike service and repair.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 20 Jan 2014, 14:40

Andrew, hence the 'rumour' I think...

There is probably a loop hole whereby the products can be considered to be in 'transit' there or something awaiting packaging?

jimmy

Postby jimmy » 21 Jan 2014, 10:01

I just did some quick searching online and I found an interview, I think that this is the relevant section
What do you continue to find as barriers to selling into Australia?

There’s a principle barrier, it’s called 18,000kms or whatever it is. It’s quite a barrier. I’ll be quite honest, I pinch myself when I see the number of orders we get, not just from Australia, but from far away and across the world. We’re dealing with a very dedicated set of enthusiasts where some of them say, “I will take a chance on buying something from a retailer I’ve never seen, from far away across the world, I’ll give them my credit card details, and I’ll sit there for a week or so and hope the product arrives.” If you stand back and think about it, that’s quite a risk for customers to take on. That’s the single biggest barrier. Everything we can do to reduce the risk of that is a good thing. What do we do: we make payment methods as secure as we possibly can and appropriate to specific countries, we work very hard with the carriers – we get most of our airmail packages into Australia within 3 or 4 days. That significantly reduces the perceived risk of shopping with us.

We work hard on returns as well. We’re looking into local returns in Australia. It’s not right that we ask Australians to buy from us and if it’s not right then they have to post things all the way back to us in Portsmouth in the UK. It’s high cost and a pain in the neck.
Full Interview

From that, it would appear that they have good deals with mail companies that allow them to ship it quickly.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 21 Jan 2014, 22:09

I have had the same timing a number of times so this is not a one off. Place order after work Friday night. Goods on desk Monday morning.
When they ship with DHL you can see the timings at each point of handling.
Returns to a local address would be very attractive as shipping back to the UK can cost as much as the goods being returned.

utopia

Postby utopia » 22 Jan 2014, 08:15

Returns to a local address would be very attractive as shipping back to the UK can cost as much as the goods being returned.
I've used this.
Trouble is the return address is in VIC and AusPost prices there + the Wiggle fee (AUD15) for using the AUS-UK portion normally means the shipping is about the same from experience

ref: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/Return ... ausreturns

Generally, if it's not damaged or something they screwed up with the order (and hence Wiggle has to refund the return costs -whichever return option you choose), it's better to flog it off or gift it.

Return to “Conversation”