CTP changes and CA membership.

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
silly_billy_boy

Postby silly_billy_boy » 06 Jun 2013, 12:55

Hi all,

CTP changes are happening here in NSW and wondering if these changes will feed through to CA membership.

I think CA covers 3rd party personal? Now with the changes is it likely to increase insurance costs to cyclists as claim numbers against it will likely rise due to the changes in similar way to motorcycles?

Or have I got CA membership all wrong?

Bill

PatW

Postby PatW » 07 Jun 2013, 14:34

The CA Insurance covers Personal Injury and Public Liability. https://info.willis.com/site/cycling/Do ... rance.aspx
There's a $1,000 excess for the PL cover, none for the Injury cover, although when I went through the exercise of downloading the Personal Injury Claim Forms and starting the process of lodging a Claim, I suddenly found a better use for the four or so hours it was going to take - I think it was a Dental appointment...
Not sure if the premiums would be affected by other Road-related Insurances; and for what its worth, it's underwritten by a UK company.

Pat

silly_billy_boy

Postby silly_billy_boy » 09 Jun 2013, 22:18

Cool bananas.

Also there is possible implications from changing from at-fault to no-fault CTP.

Currently if cyclist hit by car, with car in the wrong, the driver's insurance will rightly cover it.

With no-fault system, whose/what insurance will cover the rider? Will riders not be covered or will cyclist accidents be an exception and go through the current lawyer system to ascertain fault.

Also the drastic reduction in benefits payable in new CTP system will leave seriously injured cyclists under supported with potentially no legal avenue to get reasonable compensation.

Anyway many questions. I will look into them further as this may be worthy of challenging the government over. Or at least questioning them.

Return to “Conversation”