Recycling Bike Parts / How To Recycle Bike Parts

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
MtbAnt

Postby MtbAnt » 21 Mar 2013, 12:23

Hi guys and girls,

Is anyone aware of whether cassettes / chains / chain rings and other parts (comprising alloys, duos and trios of metal not standard to the recycling stream) that are worn beyond useful may be recycled in residential recycling bins?

Also, a question that might make this a more useful thread is, do these parts that also contain some plastics mean they will be removed from the recycling stream, or is it dependent on whether the alloys and plastics are suitable for recycling and may be ready separated by crushing / manual handling?

I do acknowledge though that if they are not worn beyond useful, we should make every effort to donate disused parts to the various bicycle re-cycling and re-purposing organisations around.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 19 Apr 2013, 09:20

Hi Anthony,
I think u should send ur local council an email asking them what theyd accept in the recycle bin.
But on a better note, if u feel some parts are salvageable, u should consider giving them to the Cycle Recycle team based in at a large public housing project in Redfern. been there a few times just before I joined a quirky group of cyclists based in Dulwich Hill. They pretty much accept anything, I think. Resourced by vollies. Stuff given away free to people who need it. No profit motive.
http://bikeclub.wordpress.com/

Return to “Conversation”