Obey the Road Rules...

Bicycle related chatter & discussion
JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 08 Feb 2013, 09:03

No one can ignore the ongoing discussion (I won't call it a war) between cars and bikes on using Sydney's roads. By all accounts, Brisbane and Sydney drivers are thought to be the most aggressive against cyclists, while Adelaide and Melbourne the most accepting (generally speaking. I don't have much experience riding in other cities regularly).

A chief Sydney driver complaint is that cyclists disobey the road rules. Running red lights, not stopping at pedestrian crossings, not stopping at give Way signs, riding on the footpath, the list goes on. A common cyclist retort is "but drivers break the road rules too".

While reading the Sydney Morning Herald comments the other day on a recent cycling story about the helmet debate a cyclist weighed in:
"As a cyclist I can say with absolute certainty that the percentage of cyclists regularly disobeying traffic law is at an order of magntidue greater than that for motorists, possibly as much as two orders of magnitude greater (that is 100 times greater). There really is no comparison whatsoever".

And it got me thinking. I would argue that a minority of drivers break the road rules. Running red lights etc. is not a common occurrence. Even talking on the phone is getting riskier by the day with fines and demerit points on the increase.

Cyclists however? While riding on Anzac Parade the other day I was stopped at the lights to cross Lang Rd with approximately 8 other cyclists. Of that 8, how many waited for the little green man? 1. Me. Again, down Oxford St, I was stopped at a set of lights with 6 other cyclists. How many waited for the green light? 2.

I acknowledge there are some instances where you might go ahead. If your bike does not trigger the lights for example. Or if they are pedestrian only lights and you have a bus behind you. It is perhaps the safer and wiser course of action to go on ahead. And while the city cycleways are wonderful, their light changing is woeful. There are so many cyclists on the paths these days that you will struggle to make it through the cycling green man before it turns orange. Especially on Kent St at peak hour.

As a club, when riding in groups, we obey all road rules unequivocally. To disobey rules can lead to catastrophe. So my question is, why don't we when riding alone? Is the time saved going through a red light worth more than your own safety? Which, ultimately, is what traffic lights are there for. And how many of us can honestly say we obey those rules when commuting, riding alone, or riding with others. By my experience the percentage is very low.

What is the purpose of this post? To try and encourage you all to obey the road rules. To spend a little time to placate Sydney drivers. So, on your next commute, take the extra 30 seconds to wait at the lights. Stop at the give way sign. Ride a little slower along Pyrmont Bridge so you don't scare the pedestrians. Wave thank you to drivers. And pass this message on.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 08 Feb 2013, 09:27

here here!
i'm actually more strict when riding on my own, i even get off my bike and walk it when crossing the zebra crossings along the cooks river.

Nozzle

Postby Nozzle » 08 Feb 2013, 10:36

I always wait at the lights on my commute via the CBD and Pyrmont. Most do not but typically are the least experienced riders/commuters.

Kent St and bottom of King St would have to be the worst intersections going around.....

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 08 Feb 2013, 10:40

Good flag Jo!

Have had increased driving in CBD and surround in recent days (unfortunately) and I have to say that it's quite embarrassing to see how cyclists flaunt the rules. Whilst a portion of the motor drivers are aggressive, but a good majority are rule abiding road users. Yes, I almost got doored the other day on Oxford St. As for cyclists, riding through red lights, lane weaving, no hand signals, taunting pedestrians and the worse, filtering with moving vehicles on both sides. I am absolutely unsurprised by the amount of animosity out there.

True that any accident will hurt the cyclists much more, but to gain recognition and protection, cyclists need to tidy up too.

BTW, whilst taxi drivers have been named as the worst from cyclists' point of view, I'd say bike couriers are the worst offenders on our end. So much for these "pros".

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 10 Feb 2013, 15:34

Jo,
Totally agree with you.
For cycling to keep growing, cyclists need to be trying to sell cycling, to path users, road users, everyone.
Say thanks when someone moves over on the path or gives way on the road. Be mindful of obstructing the traffic unnecessarily. And don’t break the rules.
It’s an investment for all of us.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Feb 2013, 17:49

A poignant article from Michael O'Reilly...

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 11 Feb 2013, 18:36

Alright... so why we're on the topic of obeying the rules... how many of us have bells on our bikes :-) I know Lizanne, Pia and myself do!
http://www.bikewise.com.au/2012/02/you- ... your-bell/
I use my bell pretty much every morning I go through Moore Park en route to Centennial.

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 11 Feb 2013, 19:35

Bells are great for flatbars but less convenient for dropbars. My voice is more adaptable with different messages, including a "thank you" on the exit when appropriate.

Philip

Postby Philip » 11 Feb 2013, 20:59

Finally found a bell that fits my fat drop bars. Like Michael, I find it difficult knowing the best approach. I used the bell the other day and I seemed to give the walkers a huge fright, not the desired effect. Yet calling "rider" also sometimes gives alarm. My inclination if there is plenty of room is to just ride past, but I'm sure this too can be alarming. Perhaps I just need a noisier bike.

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 12 Feb 2013, 05:02

A poignant article from Michael O'Reilly...

Well that blog seemed to get a lot of comments and they are still coming in. Jo - you were ahead of the game!

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 12 Feb 2013, 06:23

I have a bell and I use it frequently. It has no effect for the large number of people with ear buds in. I do find it gets a very mixed reaction from people who hear it. Most interpret the bell as I intend it, "be aware there is a bike approaching". Some interpret it as "you are about to be hit by a bike" and jump in some random direction. And some interpret the bell to mean "get off my path you pedestrian a<}^*e".
On balance, the bell has either no effect or a positive effect so I keep using the bell and I try to ride at a speed where I can avoid the random jumper.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 12 Feb 2013, 06:25

And in addition, every one who walks on the left or moves over when they hear the bell gets a thank you from me.

Adrian E

Postby Adrian E » 12 Feb 2013, 07:31

I've never had any problem with using a bell. Yes it has been ineffectual with so-called iPlodders but no one's ever got angry at me when I've used it. The trick is to ring early. Give it 20-30m on the shared path. If a pedestrian turns their head or moves to the left, you know they've heard you're coming. If they do nothing, slow down even more, and take as wide as possible line around them.

Pedestrains only get frightened when you ring the bell right behind them.

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 12 Feb 2013, 08:03

i also be cheerful and chirpfull when ringing the bell. like in music class, the sound that comes out sounds like the mood you are in. i don't know how. so if you ding ding it in a what that says hi hello,i'm just passing you polity on the right, pedestrians tend to take it that way. i've even used my bell in a race. but that was a get out of the way the pack is going to kill you ding ding. the person quickly got the message.

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 12 Feb 2013, 08:08

I think a lot of people see us like this ......

http://youtu.be/V3nMnr8ZirI

Not sure if many of you know Fiona Campbell, the bike person from Sydney City Council. I bump into her quite often on my commute to work in the morning. She must be the most polite cyclist around. I've seen pedestrians wave to her!

Lizanne

Postby Lizanne » 12 Feb 2013, 12:04

http://m.smh.com.au/executive-style/fit ... 2e30t.html

you really jumped the gun with the debate. here's another angle

rhys

Postby rhys » 02 Mar 2013, 06:48

In my experience, ringing your bell makes not one bit of difference to Sydney pedestrians.

shrubb face

Postby shrubb face » 02 Mar 2013, 08:52

Perhaps you need big bells...

marc2131

Postby marc2131 » 02 Mar 2013, 12:18

Perhaps you need big bells...
Lots of people have smartphone and earplugs. Very annoying. Not much we can do about that.
I am tempted to buy an Air Zound, but feel it is overkill.

Colin Campbell

Postby Colin Campbell » 03 Apr 2013, 12:14

Another article on red lights http://theconversation.com/seeing-red-w ... ghts-12916 with a commentary war that goes on and on and ...

weiyun

Postby weiyun » 03 Apr 2013, 13:00

In my experience, ringing your bell makes not one bit of difference to Sydney pedestrians.
Actually, I prefer pedestrians to "ignore" and hold their line. Unless they are completely obstructing, I am in total control when I plan and ride my way around them. Predictability is an important safety factor in traffic.

Anthony K

Postby Anthony K » 01 May 2013, 23:09

This is the most concise summary of bicycle specific road rules that I have seen. A few here that I think very few cyclists understand.

http://www.bicycleinfo.nsw.gov.au/ridin ... rules.html

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 02 May 2013, 08:13

You must have a rear light AND a rear reflector. Who has both?

Eleri

Postby Eleri » 02 May 2013, 17:02

Many rear lights have a reflector built in.

JoTheBuilder

Postby JoTheBuilder » 11 Jul 2013, 14:58

Just to re-hash this...

Some of you may have noticed there was a car accident on Oxford St this morning when a police car ran a red and t-boned another car already on the intersection?

Guess who the police car was chasing? A cyclist who had run a red!

Return to “Conversation”